Sump Pump

Solarit
Solarit Registered Users Posts: 1
I use a sump pump to run a 300 gallon waterfall in my yard, can I get it hooked to solar to get rid of the $50 electric bill increase every month?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but...

Assuming you want the pump to run more than the 4 hours or so of peak sun, you'll be into a battery bank. It's almost always cheaper to use grid power than any sort of battery based solar system.

In some places, using the grid as a sort of battery (selling to the grid during peak sun hours) can make sense, but it depends a lot on local climate and grid feed-in tarrif rates. Some areas don't allow it at all. You would need to check with your local utility.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    You can add a few solar panels (perhaps 800W, best to measure it) and Enphase micro grid-tie inverters (perhaps 3 or 4)  to mostly cancel the power bill while the sun shines. 

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development