Replacing Xantrex Inverter with Outback?

BajaPartTimer
BajaPartTimer Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I've got a 10-year old inverter in an off-grid application in Baja and I'm looking for a back-up/replacement inverter for when my current one fails. I'd like to have it on hand since it might take me weeks to get a replacement.

I'm looking at this unit, which is 400 watts less power than I currently have, but should be fine based on my load:
Outback Power Vented VFXR3648A 3600W 48VDC Hybrid Series Sine Wave Inverter

Would it fit in nicely to my existing system or should I consider replacing/adding anything else while I'm at it?

EXISTING SYSTEM
48 volt system
Xantrex inverter SW4048 - new in 2008
Xantrex Battery Status Monitor
Trace Engineering DC175 DC Disconnect / Overcurrent Module
Outback FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller - new in 2012
8 Trojan L16RE-B 390 Amp Hour Batteries  - new in 2015
3500 watts of solar panels - new in 2017

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see an Outback "mate" on the list. If you don't already have one for the controller, you'll likely want one for the fx unless you're good with all default settings.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the reputation of the Trace/Xantrex inverters you might get 10 more years out of your SW4048. I have one sitting, waiting for a 24 to 48 volt swap with my SW 4024. Considering the 4024 just went into service 2 1/2 years ago and my system is running like a precision watch I'm finding it hard to do the switch.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I use Outback equipment and have no real complaints. But I love ease and convenience in my old age. It would likely be easier to stick with Xantrex/Schnieder. 

Ask our host about replacement times to your location. Being in Arizona is a good start.

Your warranty on the new inverter could expire while your Xantrex chugs along.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Estragon, the Mate 3 is required if you need to change any settings. The ability to change charger and LBCO settings may be of importance in an off grid application.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • BajaPartTimer
    Estragon said:
    I don't see an Outback "mate" on the list. If you don't already have one for the controller, you'll likely want one for the fx unless you're good with all default settings.
    That seems like a must-have. Thanks for pointing it out. Anything else I should be thinking about swapping?
  • softdown
    I find it is far easier to change settings with the Outback charge controllers than the MATE.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    The mate does have a pretty extensive menu to wade through. I have to change the max draw from generator setting when using the little honda, and end up re-reading the manual to remember where it is every year.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Changing settings with the charge controller could not be easier. It is very intuitive. I hated programming the MATE.
  • BajaPartTimer
    softdown said:
    Changing settings with the charge controller could not be easier. It is very intuitive. I hated programming the MATE.
    What settings can you not change using the Outback charge controller? That's what we use now and it seems relatively straight forward. The only time we change settings on the inverter is for different size generators when we need to top up the batteries. Can we do that via the charge controller as well?
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    No, inverter settings can not be changed using the CC display. It requires the Mate 3.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • softdown
    Perhaps....I just sought to adjust charging parameters. Wondering what inverter settings to expect users to seek to change?
  • Estragon
    My main changes are for current limiting for generator charging, depending on which generator I'm running. I also use it to turn off/on, but could use a switch for that instead. I had to use it to change the master/slave setup when a master failed, and used it to set up the unit after fixing it.
    Off-grid.