Fire season, NorCal. Followed by mudslide season

mike95490
mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been seeing a lot of the California state bird :Aerial Tanker,  this last week. Major fire nearly in my backyard ( 6 mi away, uphill and downwind ) and Nor Cal had lots of microwave and cell towers burnt out.   We've had no communication in town for 3 days, no landline, cell or internet. only folks with sat internet dishes had any communications.  Hams were jammed with police and medical calls.  Even police centrix phone system was down. 911 is mostly (but not completely) restored.  Even the major state highway was closed in & out, grocery stores were emptied and gas stations ran out.

So I've not been on boards much, but am likely safe.
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1874
http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Three-dead-in-Mendocino-County-wildfire-12267006.php?cmpid=facebook-mobile

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
|| Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
|| VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Be safe Mike! 
     I just heard 20 million under red flag warning until this PM. The red flag or Diablo winds are strong NE winds that blow dry hot 30+ knot wind. They are similar to the Santa Anna's in SoCAL for anyone interested.
    Mike, are the Hams getting into the internet with Pactor or whatever they use now?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike and Dave, good to hear you are OK .... we got snow over the entire region (that burnt for > 2 1/2 months this year)  yesterday and today, so anxiety is now much lower...  BUT, be aware there is a form of PTSD that strikes everyone in the immediate area, and others who were just 'next door'...  and , as we have personally seen/witnessed/been affected, it is persistent, long after the fire abates.  It isn't over till it's over... Heightened anxiety/worrying,  Emotional sensitivity, etc to 'more normal ' everyday events. Just a simple mention of the Fires and people impacted can do it.
    Take care until the rains and snows come.
    Thinking about all affected.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Eric!  I am sure that many appreciate the kind thoughts!

For us, we never expected any help from the fire people being remote and so we designed and built that way. Three fires past us has proven our place. Cal Fire will call/text and tell us it is Mandatory Evac. I just tell them we will when they get an Engine on site. They never have enough and that is where I remind them that there is over 10,000 gallons of water and an offgrid power system that can run any of their their pumps (and has) f needed. We have let them sleep in the garage and made breakfast in the past. This was after the fire danger though:(

For many in the latest wine country (the whole state is grapes nowadays) fires, it is a belief that being near large cities would guarantee fire protection. The worst part was this started at night (it always is at night) and probably was caused by the wind and power line sparks.

The problem for many is when your neighbors house is less than 50 feet and on fire, there is little chance for you with 40 knot gusts of wind. Some of those neighborhoods burned are 50+ year old construction designs and property lines less than 30 feet. Many people snuck in to the fire lines to cut brush. A bit late for that as we are a year round fire season out here. All it takes is a week after rain or snow and it is ready to go again unless you are vigilant. I would guess that many of the homes had attic fires with large 1/4" vent screens or none at all. Many had combustables within 100 feet. The insurance guys are to blame also for not inspecting the risk also.

Mother Nature is the great equalizer, is it not?

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was not in an evac zone, and on Oct 17, went to my scheduled appt at UCSF Medical center, and now have a new shoulder joint. hunt & peck typing and now back home recovering. wow, the stuff they can do !  through a 6" incision, mostly on chest, they put a metal ball on the arm bone and a plastic socket in the shoulder.  in an immobilizer sling for 6 weeks, then start PT.
    and i didn't let them forget the happy drugs

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your convalescence period, then the hard work begins.
    And of course you will follow the PT RX...!  ;);)
    Good to know you did not have to Evac. Still getting smokes being revived by heavy winds,
    we await the fall rains but it may be snow instead...
    last week sleet at lake level then +10*C overnight from a Hawaiian Express for 3 days...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Good luck with the rehab!  I did a scoping/trim of a torn meniscus in my knee and yes it is amazing what can be done these days. Be careful with the drugs. Get on Ibuprofen as soon as they will let you off the opioids. Rest well!