About lightning arrestor

I have to calculate size of lightning arrestor for a solar array may be of 8 panels. Can anyone help me to calculate the height of the rod required. And radius, area of the protection zone. Please help me to calculate this factors, you can explain by taking any example.  Thankyou.. 

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The  mast should be high enough that  45° line from the top to the ground covers the array, more importantly  surge protection devices (SPD) should be installed to protect the electronic components, if the distance between the array and inverter or charge controller is long the recommendation is to install them at both ends, because I know you are powering a pump, I would highly recommend SPD's on the AC side as well. SPD devices are available in both DC and AC, even an indirect strike can produce enough induced voltage to damage equipment.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • kcbibek310
    kcbibek310 Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
    is mast a type of conductor? Or we can use any insulator to support lightning arrestor?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What is a "lightning arrestor"? (defining terms here). A lightning rod to intercept the air strike (no insulator involved usually)... Or a surge suppressor to "short circuit" the lightning voltage spike in wiring to ground (usually a device with wiring, many times in a plastic case... Wires to hot circuits + ground wire to earth/metal water pipe/ground rod/etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kcbibek310
    kcbibek310 Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
    A rod( Spike rod) to intercept the air strike 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The subject of lightning protection is extensive, there are many considerations, to gain some insight, I would suggest reading the links provided, they will answer many of the questions you may have, as well as some not considered.

https://www.solar-electric.com/learning-center/general-solar-information/solar-system-lightning-protection.html
    https://www.solarinsure.com/protect-your-solar-power-system-from-lightning
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Some people use a simple 45 degree angle from the tip of the rod downwards.  It's more complicated than this, but probably good enough.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development