Zero amps on ProStar 30

rubbertreesolar
rubbertreesolar Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
I have three 160 watt panels connected to Prostar 30 controller which charges four Trojan t105 batteries in 12 volts. System has been working fine but now all of a sudden shows zero amps from solar. It is the middle of the day in the Caribbean and an hour ago it was showing 18 to 23 amps in. So what is the problem? I did not change anything. There is voltage coming in.

Thanks for any assistance!

Robert
Three 160 W Solar Innova Green Technology (Spain) solar panels, Xantrex Pro 1800XM inverter, ProStar 30 charge controller, four Trojan t105 batteries (12V system), back up 4,800 watt diesel generator (which has just died....). Located in the Caribbean (direct hit Irma survivor!!!).  Just added a new 7,000 watt dual fuel genertor (Dec 1, 2017)

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,
    The battery bank may be full. If there is no load and the battery bank is at float voltage, then there may be very little amperage to read.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • rubbertreesolar
    Hi Rick thanks for your comment. I was thinking that as well so I did put a load on it for a while, still the same. I just thought it very odd that it would go from 20+ amps to zero. Will keep tracking it.

Thanks and great forum!

Robert
    Three 160 W Solar Innova Green Technology (Spain) solar panels, Xantrex Pro 1800XM inverter, ProStar 30 charge controller, four Trojan t105 batteries (12V system), back up 4,800 watt diesel generator (which has just died....). Located in the Caribbean (direct hit Irma survivor!!!).  Just added a new 7,000 watt dual fuel genertor (Dec 1, 2017)
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a reboot, remove solar then battery, reconnect battery first then solar, important to do in this order.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Take a hand held volt meter and measure the voltage on Vpanel input and Vbatt output at the charge controller. What are the voltages? (Vpanel should be ~Vbatt if charging, to Voc if no current flowing.... Vbatt should be battery voltage within 0.10 volts if 12 volt bank, under 12.7 volts, controller should be charging. Over ~13.6 battery may be full, floating. >14.0 volts, current should be flowing and battery charging).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rubbertreesolar
    Bill,

I measured the voltage at each panel and each showed 18 volts, which is what they are rated at. The battery is at 12.7 volts, but when I put a load on it it drops to 12.5 volts. All this time the green "Charging" light remains on, and the "battery Status" green lights is on steady, but zero solar amps on the charge controller. I have been talking to the Prostar tech support and they are now asking me to by-pass the charge controller and connect  directly to the battery to see if this will charge the batteries and determine if the charger is faulty or not. Is that safe?

It is so strange as it was working well up until yesterday....

Thanks so much!

Robert
  • BB.
    Was it 18 volts At the charge controller's Vpanel input terminals?

Solar panels with Vmp~17.5 volts have either neat Vbatt voltage (if charging hard) or >20 volts if no load on the panels. 18 volts with not load sounds a bit low for Voc (voltage poem circuit) unless the panels are very hot.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to try charging the batteries directly as suggested, a couple of things to keep in mind:

- Discharge the batteries some first so there's "room" for them to take some bulk charge.  At 12.7v resting, they're pretty full.
    - Cover the panels before making the connection (unless you have a breaker able to make/break under load on the circuit, and it's open), then uncover the panels with the connection made to test.  Likewise, cover them again before disconnecting when done the test.

Obviously, also good to double check polarity and exercise proper care working around batteries.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • rubbertreesolar
    Hey guys, I have gotten over the embarrassment and found the nerve to admit what I have found; a bad solar connector. I decided to disconnect the panels from each other and try them one at the time, and then realized the connection in one combiner was bad. Guess I should have checked this before asking for help.

So my apologies! Thanks for the help though!!!

Robert
  • BB.
    No problem Robert. We are here to help each other.

-Bill