I have an opportunity to buy some panels that were removed...pls advise

sshanky
sshanky Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi,

My neighbor just renovated a house, redoing everything including the roof, and elected not to reuse the solar panels that were there. I wonder if they are worth purchasing from him. I don't know if they're good or not, nor how much they should be worth. Any input would be fantastic.

They are Hanwha SolarOne HSL60P6-PA-4-245TW panels, stacked sideways next to the house. There appear to be about 26 of them. There is also a Sunny Boy SB 7000US Utility Interactive 1-Phase Inverter (engineered in Germany, assembled n USA), manufacture date 9/2013, max continuous output power 7000 W ac. Finally, some of what seem like brackets of some kind.

They appear to be in decent condition -- the ones I looked at had clean glass and no cracks but I haven't looked through all of them.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are cheap enough go for it! Most panels last 30-40 years and I'd say likely beyond that, I have a 37 year old one that is producing nicely... They do lose some capacity, warranty is usually 80% of original output after 25 years.

I'd want to pay 20 cents a watt or less for them so somewhere around 45-50 dollars each. Maybe a little more as solar prices are sort of on hold right now, until the power that be decide if they will increase tariffs on incoming solar panels.
    If they are in Missouri I'd even buy a few!

Current cheapest new panels are around 50 cents a watt, they have been as low as 26-28 cents a watt. Plus shipping, but you can also take a 30% tax credit on new panels...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • sshanky
    Cool! Thanks for replying! I don't know how much he wants but I suspect he'll take that. What about the unit on the wall, the inverter? Is that a good one, and are they reliable too? I am adding some photos into this post. Thanks for the help.

• Photowhit
    edited October 2017 #4
    I'm off grid and only have a general idea for what I've heard here that SMA is a pretty good product, perhaps other users will chime in...

I would do at least a quick open circuit test for continuity on the panels, maybe a simple 24v load like a fan that can handle a wide range of voltages for a little while. Perhaps the system failed and they didn't trouble shoot it. Then again maybe it's just me, not understanding why someone would take down a system...

...then again, I don't shave everyday, looks don't matter to me, perhaps they just prefer spending more money on electric and having a 'clean face'...lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #5
    This is how I would handle the situation, it would seem obvious the owner has little interest in the equipment, a plus on your behalf, most panels would probably be fine, using the date of manufacture of the inverter as a guide to the age of the panels, 4 years is not old, take a $1000 in cash, smaller bills, make an offer without testing, cash in the hand is worth more than an offer without the carrot dangling in front of the seller, if it's really something you need/want don't hesitate, because someone else may come along and do exactly what I've described, money talks bullshit walks, as the saying goes. Yes SMA equipment is good, you might get lucky and it works, if not the value of the panels will absorb that, setting up, testing and contemplation may cost you the deal, the worst outcome would be a refusal or counter price, but the cash in hand works extremely well. Used to buy cars this way, there was no insurance, current  emissions test, so no test drive, just a driveway ornament that need to go, always be confident with a smile. Good luck. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that may be on the owner's mind in his original cost, which 4yrs ago likely would have been over $1/watt, possibly well over. As noted by others, new panel prices now are much lower, but the owner may not be aware of the drop.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • sshanky
    Thanks for all the advice. To clarify, the owner of the house bought it in really bad shape and gutted it to flip it. Part of the work was an all new roof. He probably decided not to reinstall the solar due to looks or cost. It's back on the market, much improved and targeted at a more luxury buyer than the rest of the neighborhood.

Another thing to note: I don't know for sure that he would be willing to sell the inverter unit -- we are not sure he is willing to take it off the wall since he'd have to refinish and perhaps do some wiring.

I looked at new panels a few years ago from Wholesale Solar and my installation would have cost about 12k:

I don't know how to tell what part of that price is the inverter and what is the panels.

• Photowhit
    sshanky said:
    Thanks for all the advice. To clarify, the owner of the house bought it in really bad shape and gutted it to flip it. Part of the work was an all new roof. He probably decided not to reinstall the solar due to looks or cost. It's back on the market, much improved and targeted at a more luxury buyer than the rest of the neighborhood.

Another thing to note: I don't know for sure that he would be willing to sell the inverter unit -- we are not sure he is willing to take it off the wall since he'd have to refinish and perhaps do some wiring.

I looked at new panels a few years ago from Wholesale Solar and my installation would have cost about 12k:

I don't know how to tell what part of that price is the inverter and what is the panels.

Packages are not always the best deal, and Wholesale in a name doesn't always indicate a "wholesale" dealer. I'd suggest this was above best price then. As I recall Northern Arizona Wind and Sun had Astronergy panels for < $1 a watt back then.

Today you could get new Astronergy panels of similar wattage for @$3100, before shipping;

http://sunelec.com/home/
  • sshanky
    Thanks, everyone.

If I could purchase them for $500 or $1000 for the set, anyone know what I should expect to pay to have them installed?
  • Photowhit
    I would call around locally for installers. Also look at the age of your roof and consider if you want to re-roof before the install, if you are doing a roof mount. 
    I don't know your state, or location, but I think some are no longer doing or restricting grid tie. Worth checking with your power company. They may also have a list of local installers.