Kill-A-Watt Meter Just Paid for Itself

lzhome
lzhome Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
Doing some checking around the house with my new Kill-A-Watt Meter and I found that the entertainment cabinet was using just over 40 watts with everything turned off. So I traced it down to this DirecTV device which I think is a signal booster or something to do with HD. Anyway I'm trying to find some way to power it down without making the DirecTV box from rebooting which takes several minutes. Thanks Kill-A-Watt.

TriStar MPPT, 8 x 100w PV, MNPV6 Combiner, 4 x 12v 155ah VMAXTanks AGMs and GoPower 2000w PSW Inverter.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It puts DC power on the TV cable going to the sat dish to power the LNA (lo noise amp) on the dish
     How long does it take to reboot the dish ? Do you have to make a phone call to re-authorize the box each time you reboot ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• lzhome
    lzhome Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    No phone call, just have to wait 3-5 minutes while the box does the download. Thanks for the explanation of this device.
    TriStar MPPT, 8 x 100w PV, MNPV6 Combiner, 4 x 12v 155ah VMAXTanks AGMs and GoPower 2000w PSW Inverter.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we take our DirecTV box on the road we always kill the power to it when not in use. The standby (off) power consumption is a load we couldn't tolerate in the solar powered 5th wheel. Booting it up really didn't seem to be much of an annoyance. As you mention it only takes a few minutes.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.