Help finding one replacement solar panel

I bought a 10kw system a few years back and it appears one of my panels is caving in. I'm not sure what happened but regardless I need to replace it. I built a steel structure that my panels slide into so the size needs to be exact or the replacement won't slide into my structure. I was hoping I could get some feedback on a good replacement option since I can't find this panel anymore. Thanks in advance for your time.

http://pvpower.com/uploads/products/Trina_PA14_ss.pdf

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All  three dimensions exact?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    These appear to be the same physical dimensions

https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/seraphim-solar-panels-p40805/#SEP345SRP3456MA

but until the OP says what the Vmp and Imp of the old panel is (and how the panels are configured in terms of serial / parallel) it's pretty hard to suggest real drop-in replacements.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you located? I might buy 20 of the utility version of that panel... 270 watt same dimensions. I'm in Central Missouri.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Horsefly
    How do you know they are the 275W?  The link he gave is to a spec sheet of a family of 5 different panels, with different Vmp and Imp ratings (based on how they tested after manufacturing, I assume).  We'd need to know the specific ratings of the panel he's trying to replace to know what is appropriate to replace it with.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Photowhit
    I understand that, that's why I said what the wattage is!

BTW-270watts, and it's likely in the range to use with what he has, within 5% would be @ 255-285watts...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Horsefly
    Sorry @Photowhit - I was replying to @Raj174. You and I replied essentially at the same time, so I didn't mean for my reply to show up after yours. 

Still, your point is valid. It may be that any in the family would be OK, but I'd still like to see the specs on the specific panel he has. Any mismatch will mean a loss of production, so it's better he at least know that going in.
  • WhittakerJ
    WhittakerJ Solar Expert Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Here is the exact model. I just need the height and width to be the same as they slide in.

TSM-275PA14 , Qty: 36
  • Photowhit
    Here is the exact model. I just need the height and width to be the same as they slide in.

TSM-275PA14 , Qty: 36

I guess you just need one now, still haven't told me where you live, but the price has gone up on the lot I was looking at. Here is a person who has some TSM-270PC panels, these are either the European (he says) or Power company distribution of the same panels. They have identical or near identical specs, his are 270 so you might see a very minor difference with through put of 1-2%. He had a bunch for sale, some even cheaper in 20's but he's mostly sold out. Ask him what he would take for 1. Might also search for the 'PC' version of the panel, you might also ask your inspector if this would be ok with or without UL/Etl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-270-WATT-SOLAR-PANELS-NEW-A-GRADE-GRID-TIE-FACTORY-PALLET-LIMITED-UL-LISTED-/272838419784?hash=item3f866fe548:g:Ux8AAOSwqKNZoafx

Specs, please note they don't say ETL or UL! (I would ask for a close up photo of the back of the panel info sheet); 

http://www.phoenixsolar-group.com/dms/produkte/module/pdf/en/Trina_datasheet_Feb-2012-EN_TSM-PC14/datasheet_Feb 2012 EN_TSM-PC14.pdf
  • WhittakerJ
    Horsefly said:
    These appear to be the same physical dimensions

https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/seraphim-solar-panels-p40805/#SEP345SRP3456MA

but until the OP says what the Vmp and Imp of the old panel is (and how the panels are configured in terms of serial / parallel) it's pretty hard to suggest real drop-in replacements.
    Now that I think about it really I just need the 77" the other two are not relevant. 

I also need help determining the other power variables to make sure there won't be any issues.

Attached is my 3-line and the specs.

• WhittakerJ
    Photowhit said:
    Where are you located? I might buy 20 of the utility version of that panel... 270 watt same dimensions. I'm in Central Missouri.
    I'm in Mesa, AZ.
  • Photowhit
  • WhittakerJ
    Photowhit said:
    Thanks I missed this one while searching. Bought from them. Thanks again!
  • WhittakerJ
    I just got this back.  I guess I'm back to square one just looking for a compatible panel. Anyone have any other thoughts?

"Sir good morning....
    This panel did not ship because the panels were damage from falling debris in the warehouse....
    Im sorry for the late notification, my warehouse had tried to find other similar panels but to no avail.
    I think I will need to cancel this order unless I can source a panel with the same spec and pricing...
    Your credit card has NOT been charged...."

Marshall Duskes 

• Photowhit
  • WhittakerJ
    So I'm learning a lesson that buying one panel with freight shipping is proving to be extremely cost prohibitive. I'm located in AZ. Does anyone know the best way of just getting one panel?  I found one on Ebay but the shipping alone is $320. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Trina-Solar-270-W-Watt-24V-UL-Polycrystalline-PV-Solar-Panels-/311954702930?epid=2225826513&hash=item48a1f30252:g:0l8AAOSwB-1YzF7H 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Yep, that is a problem. Shipping and insurance costs (plus packing a single panel to a pallet) are a killer for large format panels (less than full pallet purchase).

Panels that are under ~140 Watts can usually ship by UPS/Bus/etc.... Panels >~175 Watts need to go by truck.

If you can find a solar installer near you, and you can use the ones they install--Perhaps you can sweet talk them into ordering an extra panel or two for you.

If you are close enough to Flagstaff, our host may be able to set you up with panels with reduced shipping costs (i.e., you pick them up locally). Perhaps a bit more for panel price, but much less for shipping costs.

http://solar-electric.com/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    So none of those suppliers had them in stock, or were they just not willing to ship 1 panel?
  • WhittakerJ
    Photowhit said:
    So none of those suppliers had them in stock, or were they just not willing to ship 1 panel?
    They would ship 1 panel but I would be paying like $500 just for one due to freight costs.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to pay it then or design something else. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    edited September 2017 #22
    Try calling this guy, he has some Epolly 285 watt panels they are 1953mm wide or just shy of 77" They are 72 cell panels and should work very well with you setup, and if not you're not out a ton of money. Note, if you don't have pressure mounts the mounting holes may be different. They are both 72 cell poly panels, Have no clue if the colors will be close, but here is a spec sheet (panels will vary a bit individually)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/solar-panels-brand-new-great/6301803759.html
  • Photowhit
    Got to thinking about it, and just needing panels in specs I understand, but the 77" may be wrong, I don't think they can be mounted only on the short side (which would require the same length, so width likely needs to be the same. I'll see if I can't pull specs for each.
  • Photowhit

Specs for the Eppoly ;
    https://www.enfsolar.com/Product/pdf/Crystalline/5411607c12745.pdf

Module Dimension 1953x997x50mm

Specs for Trina;
    http://pvpower.com/uploads/products/Trina_PA14_ss.pdf

1956 x 992 x 46mm

With 5 mm difference in width it might not work, being taller won't help either but could be worked with by adjusting the base on existing panels, the 'paw' across the top would need to be flat for even pressure. You'll need to look at what tolerances you can deal with here. 2.5mm per side might be okay, 5mm total wider might be okay, but it'll need to be hands on...
  • Photowhit
    BTW- just so you don't freak out, Multi and Poly are the same thing, same type of solar cells.
  • Photowhit
    The ones I linked to are a good size and power match. I've discussed the minor size differences above;

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/6301803759.html

These are also 72 cell panels but not enough info to see it's specs but 290 and his quoted size is similar at 39" x 77"
    They are likely "Yingli" panels, perhaps these;
    http://www.yinglisolar.com/assets/uploads/products/downloads/2013_YGE_U_72_lr.pdf

If so they are Dimensions (L/W/H) 77.56 in (1970 mm) / 38.98 in (990 mm) / 1.97 in (50 mm)

https://showlow.craigslist.org/ele/6312760355.html

The others are 60 cell panels and not a good match.
  • Photowhit
    The Yingli, if the correct panels, are also Poly panels. 
  • WhittakerJ
    Photowhit said:
    The ones I linked to are a good size and power match. I've discussed the minor size differences above;

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/6301803759.html

These are also 72 cell panels but not enough info to see it's specs but 290 and his quoted size is similar at 39" x 77"
    They are likely "Yingli" panels, perhaps these;
    http://www.yinglisolar.com/assets/uploads/products/downloads/2013_YGE_U_72_lr.pdf

If so they are Dimensions (L/W/H) 77.56 in (1970 mm) / 38.98 in (990 mm) / 1.97 in (50 mm)

https://showlow.craigslist.org/ele/6312760355.html

The others are 60 cell panels and not a good match.
    Ok I'll try to get my hands on the one you referenced. I did find a almost identical match in Norco, CA for very cheap on Ebay in which I think I can have a friend pickup. I know it's slightly different but can you confirm this one will have no issues? It looks almost identical.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311954702930

• Photowhit
    Here's a data sheet,
    http://www.solarmaxsystems.net/datasheets/TSM-270-295-PA14.PDF

Module dimension 1956 × 992 × 46mm so same as what you have.
    I think it's the utility version of the one you have. Just got in and have to head back out. I'll look closer later. If it is for utility instals it might not be labeled, that might be a problem for your utility.
  • Photowhit
    So I just got back, and looks like this is what you were originally looking for "

TSM-PA14-270W" but the label is 275 watt it should work fine. It was the PC's that may not have the correct labels for your inspector.