This is what a solar vehicle can do!

engineer
engineer Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Solar Power Topics #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjyJZpGpy0

An Indian man built a solar vehicle and he will use it to travel from India to the UK. By doing that, he wants to demonstrate the importance of green transportation. The vehicle can run 16 miles after 5 hours of exposure to the sun light and 50 miles when charged for 8 hours. The total distance of the trip is nearly 6,230 miles.
"We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children"
Check out this solar electric vehicle

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Ummm, based on the statement in the post, maybe you should edit your statement to "This is what a solar vehicle might do".

Once he actually gets to the UK, it's an accomplishment.  Right now it's hype.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Already been done on a shorter trip (something like 800 miles round trip) using a VW camper van. https://www.homepower.com/articles/vehicles/all-electric/rolling-sunshine/page/0/2

I believe they got 30-50 miles per day.      The article has a lot of detail about exactly what components, pricing, and problems during the build process.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember trying to explain some things to that guy. He was using charging stations and I think he seriously over estimated his range off solar, amount of energy the panels would supply, etc...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.