Prostar MPPT Display Blank

nickdearing88
nickdearing88 Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
I went to check on my system this evening and noticed my CC's display was blank. The backlight comes on upon a key press, the SOC indicator lights are one, and the system appears to be functioning normally, but no characters on the display. Battery voltage was 25.9, Array voltage was 59.1. I can't imagine what happened.

The CC display was working normally when I was outside this morning.

I figure I'll disconnect/reconnect the solar and battery inputs to reboot and see what happens but wondered if anyone has ideas.

Edit: Is there a secret key sequence to reboot the controller without being able to see the menu items?
Current system: 8-100w Renogy panels mono/poly, 2 strings of 4 panels in series - 24v 100Ah AGM Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries - Morningstar MPPT40 CC - 1500W Samlex PSW inverter

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If performing a manual reboot disconnect solar first then battery, reconnect battery first then solar, you probably know this but just a reminder.FWIW 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • nickdearing88
    edited July 2017 #3
    mcgivor said:
    If performing a manual reboot disconnect solar first then battery, reconnect battery first then solar, you probably know this but just a reminder.FWIW 
    Yes, for sure. I was going to state that in the post but I was trying to keep it brief. I'd like to know if there is a key sequence to reboot without disconnecting power? I'd like to review the logs for any error codes but I think they will clear when the power is cut, from my past experience. Maybe I'll email Joe at Morningstar.

The controller is also powering loads correctly, I tested my DC lights and small fan. Very strange.
    Current system: 8-100w Renogy panels mono/poly, 2 strings of 4 panels in series - 24v 100Ah AGM Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries - Morningstar MPPT40 CC - 1500W Samlex PSW inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tech support is a good option, Morningstar generally is pretty good with assistance.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • nickdearing88
    Joe from Morningstar emailed me back this afternoon and suggested I remove power from the controller and reboot. I did so and the display is now back to normal.

Now I don't have to worry about sending it in for a replacement....hopefully. The unit recorded no faults in the log from yesterday or today.
  • MStar1
    MStar1 Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    You might want to check if you have the latest Firmware on the Settings display screen.
    v14 is currently available on the support site on the Software Tab here.
    http://support.morningstarcorp.com/search/?searchterm=prostar+MPPT+Firmware
    v10.0 fixed meter screen blank outs and contrast issue
     Here is a link to the UMC-1 USB to Meterbus adapter which provides a PC connection to the PS-MPPT.
    https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/usb-meterbus-adapter/
    This video shows how to update the firmware.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/luKLEnRjxkk

You may also want to adjust the display settings. 

Also for future reference the "Reset Control" Command will reboot the controller.
    From any of the Main Status Screens:
    1X) Down arrow to Commands Menu
    1X) Right arrow to Command Menu Select
    5X) Down arrow Reset Control
    2X) Right arrow to Reset and Confirm Reset

-MStar Applications EE

• nickdearing88
    MStar1 said:
    You might want to check if you have the latest Firmware on the Settings display screen.
    v14 is currently available on the support site on the Software Tab here.
    http://support.morningstarcorp.com/search/?searchterm=prostar+MPPT+Firmware
    v10.0 fixed meter screen blank outs and contrast issue
     Here is a link to the UMC-1 USB to Meterbus adapter which provides a PC connection to the PS-MPPT.
    https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/usb-meterbus-adapter/
    This video shows how to update the firmware.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/luKLEnRjxkk

You may also want to adjust the display settings. 

Also for future reference the "Reset Control" Command will reboot the controller.
    From any of the Main Status Screens:
    1X) Down arrow to Commands Menu
    1X) Right arrow to Command Menu Select
    5X) Down arrow Reset Control
    2X) Right arrow to Reset and Confirm Reset

Thanks for the info. Joe Marcellino did promptly reply to my email and asked about my firmware version. I haven't replied because up until the other day, the issue was not reproduced. My controller is running v10 (without the .0), perhaps there is a difference.

I would like to purchase the EMC-1 to gain the webserver ability, can it also be used to update the firmware? I hate to just by the USB adapter to only update the firmware. I can do all necessary configuration I require using the built-in meter/display.

Thanks for the command sequence to reboot without the display working; that's what I was looking for.
  • MStar1
    MStar1 Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    We are developing the ability to perform remote firmware updates with the Prostar and other products with the EMC-1. However, that feature is not yet available and I an not sure when it will be available. 
    The EMC-1 provides a LiveView HTML display which you can access on the LAN or the web with port forwarding. We should be posting the EMC-1 Firmware update on the website by the end of the year which will have the web service which requires only a password protected login rather than port forwarding.

-MStar Applications EE