Southwest Windpower Air 403 - Brand new in box, never used

pvoffgrid
pvoffgrid Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Wind Power Generation #1
Hi,

I purchased a Southwest Windpower Air 403 in mid- late 2001 but it was never installed.  The PV system installer, Mark, said he wanted the house completely finished to determine the best location for it to be erected but.....he sold his business, moved to Mt Shasta, CA and started Wholesale Solar prior to the house being finished.  At that point, IMHO,  I learned PV folks do not like wind folks, and vice versa, so a hybrid system of PV & wind was never completed on my house, and I am all PV.  Therefore, this Air 403 has sat on a shelf in my garage ever since.  It was removed from t he box and used as a table display once at a PV show here about 11 years ago for three days but that was it.  I think it was at that show the manual was removed so I do not have that anymore.  I do not wish to install the Air 403 at this time, especially since my house is to be put up for sale in the next few months.

Does anybody on this site need this Air 403?  If so, make me an offer.  I also have it for sale on Ebay and locally.  

Let me know!

48v Off-Grid

Modules: 5.395 kW:

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(12) Kyocera KD-210GX-LPU

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

(24) Trojan Solar SPRE 02 1255 

Racks:

(2) Zomework trackers (KC130TM modules, 8 per tracker, landscape position) - facing due south

(1) Unirac ground mounted fixed rack (all KD210 modules, landscape position) - facing slightly southwest

(1) Unirac roof mounted fixed rack (all KU265 modules, landscape postion) - facing due south

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

(1) Outback MX60 - for (16) KC130 modules 

(1) Flexmax60 - for (12) KD210 modules

(1) Flexmax60 - for (3) KU265 modules

Generator:

(1) Kohler 14RESA propane

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to chuckle at your comment about "PV folks do not like wind folks, and vice versa."  That stems from too many wind generator sales people pushing unrealistic monthly power output ratings and product longevity/reliability claims.

If the system for sale is any good, I would think that you would install it on your new place?

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like mine, still in the box, because.....wait for it.....  I have too much wind , in the sense of, it comes in locomotive like blasts and has severe directional changes .... and I  don't have a 100 foot tower to mount it on..... etc

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    "....
    The expected life of electrolytic capacitors should be limited to 15 years,
    mainly due to the sealing materials deteriorating over time.
    ..."
  • mvas
    edited May 2017 #5
    On a sunny day, which is very common for most people,
    2 x 200 Watt Solar Panels will continuously generate 360 watt for $400 cost.

On a 14 mph continuous windy day, which is very rare for most people,
    the typical 400 watt Wind Turbine will generate 50 Watts for $800 cost.

Solar produces nearly 7 times the energy, at half the cost.

Wind Turbines are very over-rated at 28mph continuous winds.
    But yet 99.99% of the people in the USA have only 12 mph average wind speeds, or less (much less).

Nearby, they installed installed Wind Turbines at schools, farms, residences, offices and gov't admin buildings.
    The problem is the actual average wind speed is 1/2 of what the Salesman quoted.
    Therefore, actual watt-hours produced by the Wind Turbines are 1/8th of quoted production.
    So, Break-Even for small Wind Turbines is more like 50 years - if it actually lasts than long.

EDIT: per B.B. - change all math to use "cubed" vs "squared" ( changes are underlined. )
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Wind power goes with the cube (power of 3).

1/2 wind speed is 1/8th the amount of energy harvested.

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvas
    edited May 2017 #7
    BB. said:
    Wind power goes with the cube (power of 3).

1/2 wind speed is 1/8th the amount of energy harvested.

- Bill
    You are right - cubed, not squared.
    That makes Wind Turbines even less competitive vs Solar.
    So re-calculating the watts produced vs cost ...

On a sunny day, which is very common for most people,
    2 x 200 Watt Solar Panels will continuously generate 360 watt for $400 cost.

On a 14 mph continuous windy day, which is very rare for most people,
    the typical 400 watt Wind Turbine will generate 50 Watts for $800 cost.

So now => Solar produces nearly 7 times the energy, at half the cost vs Wind.

Pvoffgrid said:

I learned PV folks do not like wind folks, and vice versa

I still like my neighbors, even though they have Wind Turbines.
    The farmer down the road paid $50,000 for a 10KW Bergey Excel & Lattice Tower.
    His Wind Turbine makes $1,000 worth of electricity per year.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #8
    The OP was open to offers, so a 40A PWM controller is worth ?? Perhaps the weather vane could be thrown in for free, just joking, no offense @pvoffgrid
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mvas
    edited May 2017 #9
    Will a 16 year old PWM have dried out electrolytic capacitors?
    Electrolytic Capacitors are part of the reason we have a "throw away" society.
    If you are good with a soldering iron - replace all electrolytic caps before applying power.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #10
    We have so much wind up in the White Mountains, I am very tempted to do some harvesting of it. If a steady 25-30 mph wind with 40-50 mph gusts will produce anything worth harvesting that is.
    The good thing is, it's a lot easier to build a home brew wind turbine that a home brew PV panel.
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    mvas said:
    Will a 16 year old PWM have dried out electrolytic capacitors?
    Electrolytic Capacitors are part of the reason we have a "throw away" society.
    If you are good with a soldering iron - replace all electrolytic caps before applying power.

No, they only dry out when/while they have power applied to them. For now, they are as good as new...for what that's worth. :p
    Lumisol said:

The good thing is, it's a lot easier to build a home brew wind turbine that a home brew PV panel.
    No doubt. It's a whole lot safer, as well!

DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • pvoffgrid
    pvoffgrid Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Closing this thread out....both items were sold.

48v Off-Grid

Modules: 5.395 kW:

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(12) Kyocera KD-210GX-LPU

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

(24) Trojan Solar SPRE 02 1255 

Racks:

(2) Zomework trackers (KC130TM modules, 8 per tracker, landscape position) - facing due south

(1) Unirac ground mounted fixed rack (all KD210 modules, landscape position) - facing slightly southwest

(1) Unirac roof mounted fixed rack (all KU265 modules, landscape postion) - facing due south

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

(1) Outback MX60 - for (16) KC130 modules 

(1) Flexmax60 - for (12) KD210 modules

(1) Flexmax60 - for (3) KU265 modules

Generator:

(1) Kohler 14RESA propane

This discussion has been closed.