Short circuit

jumpingjack
jumpingjack Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello! I am new here and I don't have much experience in this field. I was using 250w solar panel with 30A PWM solar charge controller. Recently I noticed that the battery is not getting any charge at all. On inspection, to my horror, I noticed that positive terminal on solar charge controller from solar panel is completely burnt out and melted the some part of the circuit board as well. I don't know how this happened and would like to know whether the solar panel would have got damaged as well. I am thinking of getting MPPT solar charge controller but I wonder whether it is waste of money if the solar panel is damaged as well. Can anyone advice me. Thank you.

Comments

• Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Disconnect the panel and check the output volts and amps with a multimeter.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Might have bin a loose connection.  

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The term, short circuit, refers to a path of low resistance between two conductors in the same circuit, what you have in fact is an open circuit, more than likely caused by a high resistance connection, like a terminal not torqued correctly, or a solder joint on the printed circuit being "dry", not completely connected, or undersized, in one leg of a circuit. In all likelihood the panel is fine, but worth checking none the less.

Could you please describe your system with more details, such as battery voltage, panel specifications, charge controller information, this would allow the helpful people here determine if you have made some fundemental errors and point you in the right direction. Rational behind the request is your statement of using a 250W panel and a PWM controller, it would be the wrong choice, if a 60 cell panel were used, wether 12 or 24 volt, but this is speculation at this point in time.

Welcome aboard!
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.