Grid available finally, now for some options

mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
A few years back I approached the Provincial Electric Board enquiring about getting the grid to my property, it was possible but at a cost, which was more than going off grid, so that's the way I went. Last week without me knowing, the poles and cables were installed close enough to connect,  just as my new Schneider SW 2524 arrived, thankfully it can be used with enhanced grid support, but unfortunately cannot sell back, which is allowed and encouraged by the utility.
My daily production potential far exceeds useage most days so an XW would have been a better choice but too late now, so this is an idea I came up with.

Split the array, using a minimal amount  to keep the batteries happy with the CC, take the ballance of panels perhaps add a few, feed them into  a GT inverter, whilst feeding the  SW inverter similtaniously, this way I would still be able to use the production and feed the excess into the grid which would offset nightime useage and the batteries will support loads when the grid is down, which is often.

All current components are Schneider with the system control panel, any thoughts would be welcome as I've not dealt with GT to any extent, but theoretically it should work........or not.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    mcgivor said:
    Split the array, using a minimal amount  to keep the batteries happy with the CC, take the ballance of panels perhaps add a few, feed them into  a GT inverter, whilst feeding the  SW inverter similtaniously, this way I would still be able to use the production and feed the excess into the grid which would offset nightime useage and the batteries will support loads when the grid is down, which is often.

Why not just take the entire array and feed it to a grid tie inverter? Then switch it back when power goes out.

(or switch to a hybrid inverter but I assume you don't want to do this.)
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor said:

Why not just take the entire array and feed it to a grid tie inverter? Then switch it back when power goes out.

(or switch to a hybrid inverter but I assume you don't want to do this.)

The plan is to utilize the SW 2524 230 to support all loads thereby  maintaining a constant voltage,  the grid voltage can often be below 230V, the controller acts as a battery monitor communicating to the inverter when to divert solar from charging to load , however  as my daytime loads are generally light, the excess production would for the most part go unused, hense the thought of using a GTI to send the excess somewhere rather than wasting it.

A hybrid inverter is what I would have ordered had I known the grid would be installed, Murphys law... just thinking of the best way to use what I have and create a hybrid, so to speak.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #4
    Since you have 3 different systems now with 3 different size  solar panels 3 different charge controlers ,3 different different AH  batterys and inverters I was kind of wondering how you would combine all the different solar and batterys to run the the new sw2524 inverter. 
  • mcgivor
    The plan is to consolidate all house loads  to one new system, all matching Schneider components with new batteries, some of the  the old equipment will be dedicated to air conditioning, to keep the new equipment cool and the rest will be relocated to another site. The evolution process is over........for now.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Evolution is never over. :)
  • mcgivor
    Agreed, but no more random additions, one product line that is expandable.