Decent battery monitor?

Lumisol
Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
 I was wondering if anyone is using the 

Victron BMV-700 Battery Monitor

or the

Drok voltmeter

And which one is a better monitor and more usable and accessible.

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the older victron model . Has been great . Like the fact that it operates on a wide voltage range , so could still use it when i went from 12 volts to 24 volt system . Just be aware that it is only as good as the set up . ie purcurts value and efficiency that you choose . So a guide but not an absolute indication .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen good reviews of the Victron, The only one I've seen in action is an older model which worked well, with a happy owner. The other is interesting, looks interesting, but a pretty small shunt. There are some video links in the Q&A's.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mmaritz
    mmaritz Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I use the BMV 702 from Victron and love the Mid Point Voltage sensor.  It allows some degree of "health check" monitoring of the bank.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Victron as long as you set the device up correctly for you battery bank size and characteristics.
    • Main: Infinisolar 3+ (3kv) 48V Grid-Tied PV=3410w NE facing (8x 330W JASolar, 3x 310W Yingli), + Victron MPPT 150/60 @1240w SW facing (2x 310W Renesola, 2x 330W JASolar), Pylontech US3000, Victron BMV 700, 6 string combiner box with PV isolator switch, subDB for inverter supplied power.
    • Draadkar: Axpert 800w, 24V, 8x 12V - 105ah Leisure Batteries 400ah, PV=480 (2x 240W ElChepo), Victron BMV 702 for laptop, relays backup.
    • ICC for management, automated switch over and monitoring, pushing data to EmonCMS and PVOutput.org (Aloe Ridge Farm).
    • Weather from personal weather station using Weather Display.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #5
    I've used Victron monitors on charter boats. They seem pretty well made and simple to use. I doubt the $30 alternative is as robust, and the instructions seem to be written by someone whose first language isn't english.

There's a big price difference though, so I guess it comes down to personal choice. For something used multiple times/day in a place like a boat, I'd likely spend the extra. For occasional use in an out of the way spot, I might go for the cheaper alternative.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Lumisol
    edited June 2017 #6
    The price is irrelevant as its a one time cost. I didn't look at prices even and see the difference. I liked the size of the 2nd better though.
    I'll be getting the Victron and just live with the ugliness.
  • _OS_
    _OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I have the Victron BMV-702 and it is great. It comes with a long RJ-cable for the shunt so there is no need to use those thin wires that many others BMs use. The Victron is plug and play.

If I should point out one negative thing it must be the size. It is quite small and the display can be hard to read at times. I guess it is made for use in the instrument panel of a boat.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    With the Victron you can send the data to your phone so the gauge does not even need to be mounted where it's visible.
  • davemac
    davemac Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I use the Victron BMV-700, works a charm, easy setup and nice selection of readouts and history logs.

I use the Pro Hydrovolt HYDRO VOLT Lead Acid Battery Hydrometer Electrolyte Tester to monitor battery electrolyte, it's easy to use and temp adjusted.

• Lumisol
    My batteries don't have any openings.