Need to lower output voltage XW4048

skipperf
skipperf Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
Apologies if I did not search the forum well enough. You folks have been a gfreat asset in the past. My inverter is an Xantrex XW4048 and 4.5 years old. Last summer I finally added  AC's with inverter compressor. In April we tried to use them and they did not work. At least 1 needs to have a new main board. The tech read 236.7 volts to the unit and says that the AC's maximum voltage could not be over 230. Before I buy new ACs I thought I would ask if there is a way for a tech savvy user to adjust slightly (reduce) the output voltage. The Xantrex is rated at 230v +/- 3% so it is on the edge of tolerance.

Saludos,
Skipper in Mx.
Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    230 VAC + 3% is 236.9 volts... So your 236.7 volts is within range. And realistically, +/- 10% is not unusual.

Is your inverter and inverter based AC system working or not?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #3
    Most inverter based appliances would have a wide tolerance for input voltage which generally is much larger than 3%, my refrigerators voltage range is 110-270V, washing machine 120-280V, inverter welder 110 -277V, all of which are sold in a 230V 50 Hz market, so it would seem strange that your AC unit if rated for 230V would have a problem with 236.7V.........unless it were primarily designed for 120V  with an upper limit of 230V. Just some thoughts.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • nickdearing88
    nickdearing88 Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    mcgivor said:
    Most inverter based appliances would have a wide tolerance for input voltage which generally is much larger than 3%, my refrigerators voltage range is 110-270V, washing machine 120-280V, inverter welder 110 -277V, all of which are sold in a 230V 50 Hz market, so it would seem strange that your AC unit if rated for 230V would have a problem with 236.7V.........unless it were primarily designed for 120V  with an upper limit of 230V. Just some thoughts.
    Right. My mini splits are rated 100V - 280V AC 50-60Hz. Most are designed to work throughout the world without having to manufacture different versions.
    Current system: 8-100w Renogy panels mono/poly, 2 strings of 4 panels in series - 24v 100Ah AGM Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries - Morningstar MPPT40 CC - 1500W Samlex PSW inverter
  • skipperf
    skipperf Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Sorry for the delayed response. The AC's are marked 220-230 and the tech says that 230 is max. BB, 2 of the units either need to be re-charged with freon or have a bad relay, 1 needs a new main board as the compressor motor doesn't start. The tech says he would have to contact the mfg. to see if covered since the voltage was above 230. I did read that some 220v units have an uperating range up to 250v. I am just waiting to hear back from the repair tech.
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you are located. 
    But sounds like one of two things could be happening. And possibly both happening. 

1. Your technician is poorly informed.(and this may have contributed to poor intial install) 
    I am in Mexico. And what they call a technician down here really stretches the definition. 
    Many people can go thru the motions of an install and have the valves and things needed. But really understanding how they(ACs)  function, and using best practices are not common here. 

2. He maybe wanting to take you for a ride. (ie rip you off) 

He may not be either of above. But that is where my mind goes. Based on my experiences here in Mexico. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto animatt! The XW output voltage is not use adjustable and is easily in spec as the previous folks have said.
    About the only thing that can harm an XW is the grid or reversed DC polarity.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• nickdearing88
    nickdearing88 Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Ditto animatt! The XW output voltage is not use adjustable and is easily in spec as the previous folks have said.
    About the only thing that can harm an XW is the grid or reversed DC polarity.
    I'm really surprised that such a sophisticated piece of equipment doesn't have at least a small range of voltage adjustment available to the end user. I agree it should rarely be needed but would be nice to have. Is this something the Outback, Magnum, and others can do?
    Current system: 8-100w Renogy panels mono/poly, 2 strings of 4 panels in series - 24v 100Ah AGM Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries - Morningstar MPPT40 CC - 1500W Samlex PSW inverter
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK, inverter ac output voltage is specified with a regulated range on Outbacks et al., not adjustable. For example, my Outbacks are 120v +/-2%.

Inverters typically take and pass through a wider range of voltage (maybe user adjustable) from a generator or whatever, but their job is to produce ac at spec., and most decent ones will do that.

A load with a max voltage range of <+/- ~2% seems odd to me. Grid power could vary by more.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the settings on my Outback Radian GS4048A and the AC output is adjustable from 200 to 260 volts.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. My Outback FXs have a wide range of settings for grid/generator input, but none for output that I know of.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The output line voltage is usually tested at no load, 1/2 and full load to make sure the inverter stays in spec. There is also a test that varies frequency scoring output specs. On an XW there are internal adjustments for this and a printout of the unit being individually tested for concerned utility personnel or others. These adjustments (DSP) are programmable by factory only. It was the requirement when designed back in 2003. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net