Inverter/charger not working with generator

solar_patagonia
solar_patagonia Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello,
I'm new on solar energy. I have a house off grid in the chilean patagonia, and have the following equipment:
- 10 solar panels 250w 24v
- charger controller 60A
- 10 batteries 100AH 12
- inverter/charger 3000w (Kuhn Kgp series)
- generator Honda eu2000i

The problem is that i cant charge the batteries with the generator. The wiring was made following the manual instruction. I've tested the volts in the AC input in the inverter, and everything seems ok, but the inverter is not in "charging mode". I dont know if I have to change some configuration on the inverter or something.
I would much appreciate any help.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start by checking the AC frequency on both the inverter and the generator. Maybe one is at 50hz and the other at 60? The honda is likely fixed frequency. The inverter may be switchable?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • solar_patagonia
    Thanks a lot for the advice. Indeed it was a frecuency problem. I switched the inverter and now is charging the batteries without issues.
    One more question... is there any chance that by modifing the frecuency of the inverter could be damage it?
    Thanks again!
  • solar_patagonia
    edited May 2017 #4
    I realized now that what I changed in the inverter was the range of frequency acceptable to work with. So probably my honda has a frequency less than 45 or more than 55 Hz, or is unstable.
    When I bought the honda eu2000, they said that the frequency was fixed in 50 hz, considering it was a "inverter/generator".
    So, what could be the problem?? I mean, now is working but I would like to know why.
    The honda is brand new
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the honda's frequency should be varying by anything like that (+/- 10%). If it's set for eco mode, you could try setting it for regular. Maybe the charger is loading it faster than it can adjust?

You could also check the charger setting for max current. My eu2000 will only output ~12-13aac@120v sustained, and doesn't surge a whole lot beyond that. A 3000w inverter/charger may draw more than that in charge mode by default. Does it display ac input voltage/frequency by any chance?

I think the frequency is software controlled in inverter generators. I wonder if yours was actually set for 60hz by mistake? I don't know how this is done or if dealers have the capability to change it. You might want to ask your dealer, and let us know what they say.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • solar_patagonia
    The inverter displays 220 input and 50hz frq.
    The dealer doesnt have a clue about it, and said that the generator definitely gives 50hz freq...
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The inverter probably has an acceptance, or qualification frequency  range, if outside the frequency  range it denies acceptance. Changing the inverter to 50 Hz, which is what I assume you did,  would mean the generator  is within the window  of acceptance. Usually generators are set up for the frequency of the market they are sold in and the inverters have a window of acceptance, adjustable  for regonal compatibility 50 or 60 Hz. To compensate for mechanical delay caused by an introduced load, which could cause a momentarily drop of frequency on a regular generator the window of acceptance may be wide, say 45 to 55Hz , Inverter generators are probably more accurate as far as output  frequency is concerned, using electronics to stabilize frequency and compensate for mechanical lag. The frequency on the generator I have, a single cylinder diesel non inverter type, varies between 49 & 53 Hz depending on loads. Some digital multimeters can read frequency to verify what other indicators read, a useful tool to have. As far as causing damage to the inverter is concerned, I would think it unlikely.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.