Conext Bridge for XW+ Li-ions from LG and Hoppecke announced for 2nd half 2017

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that it is compatible  :)  I am testing it with an XW+ but the firmware loaded into my back-up XW6048.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• gbaig
    gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Great news for me and owners of xw6048
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gbaig said:
    Great news for me and owners of xw6048
    Yes indeed,  flexibility is an option
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• gbaig
    Here is email from LG as well
  • Dave Angelini
    edited May 2017 #66

OK, today the web page for the Conext Bridge appeared on the Schneider site. There really is only one battery at this time the LG Chem Resu series that is in this thread and has been testing in my offgrid home since last year.
    A pretty amazing combination I would say.  :)  More info will go into the site but this looks like a commitment.
    When the LG's are readily available on the continent here and worldwide this technology will be hard to beat.
    http://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-bridge/

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave do you have 240V split phase? 2 RESU 10's? Seems to me you have some mini splits there... ?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Just as you do in Canada, hey!

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as you do in Canada, hey!
    Dave, it's not hey, it's eh
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    right on, mcgivor,   Eh?
    Far more expressive than Huh? Like 'lets have another round, eh?'
    The immutable Canuck word having hundreds of meanings  .... ;)
    The McKenzie Brothers were classic at its use, eh?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #71
    24,000 a year for power from the grid?
    I have a large 2 story home in the valley and pay 89.00 a month for power.

As for the failures: Pesky little dendrites get you every time.
  • Lumisol
    I found it funny the guy in the picture is surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of equipment and is forced to sit in a $6.00 plastic lawn chair.
    The quality of life is inversely proportionate to the quality of gear bought.
    :wink:
  • Dave Angelini
    I like that chair and it is a garage not unlike the one that Hewlett and Packard started in. Well, better lit. Most of my engineering life I have always been surrounded by thousands of dollars of equipment BTW. A long stint at HP had me setting EMI test sites and the Spec Ans, Synth Sweepers, Net Ans and other gear were well over $200,000 each. Many of them still working decades later.

I do agree with you on quality of life and most of it is on the mountain where I live and the two lights I see out 30 miles :)
    The two lights,  I designed their Offgrid homes.

• gbaig
    Dave, you have done a lot of reaearch for others to benefit. Keep doing great work. Don't listen to cheap talk. Thanks for all the research that you have been sharing with the solar community. All the best
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #75
    What grid?
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Dave Angelini
    Mangas said:
    What grid?
    Yep what grid? Life good in S. Zona?  

Thx. gbaig, we do what we can !

• Mangas
    edited May 2017 #77
    Big Howdy Dave.  Tall in the saddle here in the SE AZ  back country.  You?

Send rain aka genset ran only 4 hours the last 8 months! Although new high efficiency HVAC has really increased system capacity.  Made me a believer.

Following your line out of the new BMS Inverter interface.  Cool technology.  Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Not brave or rich enough yet to make that investment for our system. Maybe someday.

Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Lumisol
    edited May 2017 #78
    I like that chair and it is a garage not unlike the one that Hewlett and Packard started in. Well, better lit. Most of my engineering life I have always been surrounded by thousands of dollars of equipment BTW. A long stint at HP had me setting EMI test sites and the Spec Ans, Synth Sweepers, Net Ans and other gear were well over $200,000 each. Many of them still working decades later.

I do agree with you on quality of life and most of it is on the mountain where I live and the two lights I see out 30 miles :)
    The two lights,  I designed their Offgrid homes.
    Sounds like the presses I was the tech for when I worked. I can't see any lights from my home in the mountains though, none around to be seen.
    My home in the valley is the opposite, lights everywhere as I am a couple blocks from the stadium where the Cardinals play and the arena where the Coyotes play.
    My home at the beach is sort of half way between the other 2. (Ocean City Wa.)
  • Dave Angelini
    Mangas said:
    Big Howdy Dave.  Tall in the saddle here in the SE AZ  back country.  You?

Send rain aka genset ran only 4 hours the last 8 months! Although new high efficiency HVAC has really increased system capacity.  Made me a believer.

Following your line out of the new BMS Inverter interface.  Cool technology.  Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Not brave or rich enough yet to make that investment for our system. Maybe someday.

I like that tall in the saddle!  You are welcome! Summer starts this weekend so the other cycle on the heat pumps gets a test. We were heating a few days ago still up in the mountains. I don't think when that time comes you will have to be brave. The stacked 5548 is a perfect match (LG) for what you have and it is being testing in Wyoming. The owner is blown away. Stay cool!

• gbaig
    > @Dave Angelini said:
    > I would say that it is compatible  :)  I am testing it with an XW+ but the firmware loaded into my back-up XW6048.

Which forwarded did you Load in the back up?
  • Dave Angelini
    I do not understand gbaig? The current firmware is what is loaded. That can change as they are tweaking the time of use firmware and being offgrid,  that is just a concept that I can't and don't want to ever test :)

These are the best competition for next year that I see to LG.

• Mangas
    edited May 2017 #82
    I don't think when that time comes you will have to be brave. The stacked 5548 is a perfect match (LG) for what you have and it is being testing in Wyoming. The owner is blown away. Stay cool!

So far, happy with my four new 5545+ Schneider inverters (2 stacks) and CCs'. 

Hopefully, our next battery cycle will be 2021. By then mainstream enough to get me to town!

• Dave Angelini

• Dave Angelini
    Nice to see the store here making an offering! Good Job! 
    The Schneider Bridge will begin adding web based applications for the bridge in July. A smart phone application that might easily make using loads based on Soc and react to clouds in opportunity, self consumption, and other advanced modes.

• gbaig
    Dave, is this battery compatible with Schneider XW6048?
  • Dave Angelini
    There are a few different concepts in batteries that are coming out in the near future. If you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see Simpliphi listed.

I think of this new technology in 3 ways at this time. There is the LG / Hoppecke type that outputs all of its data, Soc, Sof health, temp, over voltage/current and other parameters to a system like Schneider or Outback. i.e. all you need is the bridge to interface and get all of the data. You don't need a battery monitor or shunt or any wiring other than a few network cables. This is best to me. It is also a second set of eyes on the BMS and needs a heartbeat signal for safe operation.

The Simpliphi and similar others have the BMS but do not really communicate out to the WEB or locally to an offgrid system from Schneider or Outback. They could and might in the future, but not now unless you really know CANBUS and can implement a PLC on your own. This type is universal but without communication to your combox/SCP or Outback portal. If you pick the wrong set-point the BMS will shut down. There may be ways around this but I have not tested it or do I want the responsibility for my home or clients.

The third type is just the basic batteries and you get to be captain of the boat. Not for anyone offgrid who is an average offgrid user in my opinion.

I hope this helps.  I keep being amazed by the LG and how little power it needs to bring a battery up to charge. My dream system after all these years.  :)

• Lumisol
    Is that right? A 70.83 AH battery for 3600 dollars? Can you put 7 or 8 of these in parallel without any problem?
  • twistedtree
    twistedtree Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    I'm not following the foot note on the RESU battery data sheet in post#66.  Paraphrasing, it says that if two packs are used, the storage capacity doubles, but that the max power does not.  So 2 RESU10 packs are still limited to 5kw?  Anyone know why that would be?  I would expect both the storage capacity and power rating to double with two packs.
  • twistedtree
    And sorry for not being up on the lingo, but what does "residential self-consumption" mean?
  • twistedtree
    And more....

One of the nice things about a xanbus connected system is the integrated system view and operation of the various components.  This is a real advantage when coordinating charge/discharge of Li batteries across multiple power sources/sinks.

But my system, and I expect others as well, have some contingent of DC powered devices connected straight to the battery bank.  The power consumption of these devices is unseen by the Xanbus components.  With Pb batteries this is no big deal, but it seems like it might be a bigger issue with Li.  Is this a concern, or no big deal, assuming the DC loads are a small % of total power consumption.  I would estimate mine to be maybe 25 watts on a system with 6kw inverter and 3.6kw of solar.
  • Dave Angelini
    I'm not following the foot note on the RESU battery data sheet in post#66.  Paraphrasing, it says that if two packs are used, the storage capacity doubles, but that the max power does not.  So 2 RESU10 packs are still limited to 5kw?  Anyone know why that would be?  I would expect both the storage capacity and power rating to double with two packs.
    Most everything I have seen, including Tesla, Hoppecke, Samsung, and Panasonic are 5Kw average, 7kw peak, and a higher current for less than 3 seconds. This can all change with different designs of battery/bms. Hoppecke makes Locomotive batteries so it is pretty much up to the designer and what they think will sell.

If you need more power with an XW you will have to stack inverters with individual batteries.

In places with strict grid policies Austrailia/Hawaii, self consumption just uses the power you generate, makes sure it does not get out to the grid, and gives you a decision to use the grid or battery at night. a few other things also.

The question about DC loads is not an issue as the BMS knows from its internal shunt to the battery (Not an external schneider or outback shunt BTW). The LG system is very precise in measuring Soc and is not fooled like your typical Peukert battery monitor when many days not going to full charge (winter), cause the errors to stack -up and become an unknown error. The Soc percentage, temperature, voltage, and current in the screen shot is from LG inside the RESU 10. There is also a state of health that lets you know the estimated life left of the battery. We charge so fast with this system, I really do not want or need anything else. If I did, I could add another of the Resu batteries, at any time! :)