Xantrex Prowatt 600

ironbridge
ironbridge Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
I just installed the Xantrex Prowatt 600 in my rv.  The display shows voltage correctly but display's 0.00 watts even when watts are being used to run items off the inverter.  How I can get the inverter to display the watts that are being used?  Thanks for responding.  

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What voltage is showing?
    What AC loads are connected?
    Do you have a shorepower transfer switch?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • pdh
    pdh Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    How much power do you think you're using? I have a Prowatt 600, and it reads 0.00 when attached to a 70-watt load (70 watts as shown on a Kill-a-Watt -- this was an incandescent light bulb marked 75 W). A 137-watt load shows as 0.10 (units are kilowatts so that means 100 watts). I like the inverter, but mine definitely reads low.
  • ironbridge
    ironbridge Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I was using a fan on low speed which read 81 watts on my Kill-A-Watt meter....@ .65 amps.  I guess mine reads low like yours.  Thanks for posting.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 #5
    Fans are inductive loads. They will read more amps (volt amps) than they read watts. Because of low power factor.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• pdh
    Sure. But I observed the same behavior with incandescent light bulbs, which are purely resistive loads.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The indicated value is just a rough guide, not an accurate indication, for accuracy, precision measurement needs to be conducted, but why bother if it works. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • pdh
    Agreed. Now that I know that it consistently reads low, I can mentally adjust if necessary. And if I need real precision, I can check with a bona fide voltmeter.

Still, it makes me wonder why the meter on a $180 piece of equipment is so much less accurate than a $5 multimeter. Hopefully the money that they saved by cutting corners on the meter, went into improving the actual inverter in some way :-)

I do like the inverter and it's easy enough to guess at the voltage once you know that it reads low. But it was disconcerting at first -- perhaps like the OP in this thread, the way-low readings made me wonder if the inverter was defective. I did a fair amount of bench-testing when I first got it in order to make sure it actually worked -- the meter readings really are low enough to make you question whether the thing is working.