morningstar msview

2»

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Re: morningstar msview
    zeuspaul wrote: »
    BTW the screw fasteners on the Tripp-Lite USB to serial adapter are female and won't mate to the females on the Tristar MPPT. And I can't remove them on the Tripp-Lite. I had to remove the fasteners from the Tristar before I could plug in the adapter and now there is no way to secure the connection. I can't recommend this Tripp-Lite U209-000-R adapter.

Thanks

Zeuspaul

That's because Tripp-Lite are idiots. Cables should =always= have male parts for the fasteners.

Gear Head makes a great converter. I love them. They are reasonably priced and I've never had one fail. Ever.
  • KJINTF
    KJINTF Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone have luck upgrading the remote panel TS-RM-2 through the Tristar MPPT-60 controller? Both processors on the Tristar MPPT-60 upgraded without any issues, however I was not able to upgrade the remote panel. Gave up, believe the upgrade only affects multiple language displays anyway.

Ken
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭

hi KJINTF, you may want to contact them about reprogramming the meter, I dont think it uses the same comm protocal.
    a more user customizable historical graph would be great. the standard graphs are very hard to read since there is no grid background.

I was speaking with them today about a hardware issue and the subject quoted above came up. well as it turns out there is an undocumented feature in msview historical graphs!

if you click on the lower line chart below the graph you can select a section of the graph to zoom in to. you can also expand the section you select.

I had all but given up on these graphs and allready starting to learn alternative graphing software.

so these graphs are actually more useful after all. its just not documented yet. they are also very open to suggestions and input on improving and refining msview so if you have any post them here or cantact them directly.

next I would like to see a grid background for easier and more precise estimations and black backgrounds or options for the end users to change these settings/preferances.

ability to view graphs in real time and not just from log files too. there is alternatives available to do this with but it would be a great feature to add in msview.
  • Muskoka
    Muskoka Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Ken - KJINTF,

I just tried updating the firmware on my Tristar Meter TS-M-2 to version 2.6.1 through my TS-60 PWM and it wouldn't work for me either. Updated to firmware v15 on the controller 4 days ago, no issues with that.

Glen
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hello all. I've been a lurker here on & off for years, just stumbled upon this thread looking for some (not so) related info. It is an interesting thread, if only you could see the basic info provided by my lesser Tristar you would know how much tech envy I feel. Web page? Router access? Very nice.
    I couldn't resist joining and telling any who are interested about a cheap & reliable source for a serial to USB adapter. I don't have the MPPT model, mine is a standard Tristar 45, but this adapter works fine with mine, I would expect it to do so with the MPPT models also.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24512
    Bought mine a year or so ago, works great. $3.10 delivered, can't beat it. The only caveat is you must be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. But it will come, I have ordered many things from them and they are reliable.
    Happy monitoring!

Mike
  • photovoltaic
    photovoltaic Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the MSC adapter with the RJ-11 that is used between the PC and a MPPT-15 controller is just an RS-232 to TTL converter ? Anyone have pinouts for the RF-11 ?
    Thanks
    Larry
  • KJINTF

Hi All
    Good to hear others have had the same issue with updating the TS-RM-2 meter.
    I contacted Morningstar a few months back and was told that they had not experienced any problems with updating the meter. No big deal I have no intention of using any other languages, North American English works for me.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Usually you would use a serial cable to plug into the tristar with the correct DB9 end on it. I made my own serial cable using a piece of Cat5 cable and soldered on a couple DB9 ends - that way you can bring the serial cable out to where ever you want or need it. The DB9 connector fits on tight enough in the Tristar so I don't bother with any screws on there to hold it in.

If you make your own serial cable you don't need all the wires - forget which ones to skip but it is on the Morningstar site.

I wish the RS-232 DB9 required wiring was around. I ended up soldering all
    nine tiny little wires..
    I had heard of the problem re-installing the cover, unless you are using the
    flat-cable type Right-angle connector, so after soldering, I carefully bent
    the wires over at a right angle and put on a couple layers of tape.
    That allowed me to easily re-install the TS-45 cover.

I hope it's as easy, when I get the TS-M cover next week..
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    XRinger wrote: »
    I wish the RS-232 DB9 required wiring was around. I ended up soldering all
    nine tiny little wires..
    I had heard of the problem re-installing the cover, unless you are using the
    flat-cable type Right-angle connector, so after soldering, I carefully bent
    the wires over at a right angle and put on a couple layers of tape.
    That allowed me to easily re-install the TS-45 cover.

I hope it's as easy, when I get the TS-M cover next week..

I found it quite easy on my Tristar, after scratching my head a bit, to simply remove the shell around the DB-9 connector. If you do this carefully you can thread it thru the knockout and secure it to other wires with a wire tie or something, it will be just fine. The small wires soldered to the pins bend down to allow the cover to fit on easily, no stress. If you feel some great need to use the screws you may have to locate some, the shell screws will probably be too long, etc. I feel fine with mine just pushed into the mate, doubt it will be a problem.
    Everything about the Morningstar line is 1st rate, especially their HIGHLY knowledgeable support staff. At 1st I lamented their choice of an outdated computer peripheral connection, but now I understand why they chose that RS-232. Just try & run a USB connection 16' long or more and you will understand too ;) I have 1st hand knowledge that 25' will not work, well, not cheaply anyhow. RS-232 can go much further.
  • KJINTF

I agree Morningstar makes good stuff
    However there is always room for improvement

I wish they would add an Ethernet connection to more of the products and get away from that old slow RS232 interface. My Tristar MPPT-60 works great with an Ethernet connection for configiration however the MSLoad application continues to use the old slow interface. I had to cable both interfaces when it could easily have beeen accomplished over a single Ethernet connection.
  • SolarT
    SolarT Solar Expert Posts: 49

The TS MPPT 60 is great with ethernet. I use a bridge router to turn it into a wireless connection and connect it to MSView or the web browser to pull the data.

I am a little confused about the software. I manage to get the realtime State view to save but I get an error retrieving the file.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    I am a little confused about the software. I manage to get the realtime State view to save but I get an error retrieving the file.

Assuming you're talking about MS View, I had a similar problem (using a Sunsaver MPPT-15). I found that if you load the saved state file before you do anything else, including search for connected devices, it works.

So in other words, after you've saved the state file with the parameters you want to see, open it first after starting or re-starting MS View. Then after the file is loaded, connect to the device by right-clicking its little icon on the left and choosing connect.
  • SolarT

Thanks for the info.

I saved the workspace with state and log. Then I restart MSView and load the workspace and connect. Both state and log came up. I am running on Win7.

Can this information replace a battery monitor like Trimetric? I have connected the voltage sense cable but no RTS for temperature yet.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SolarT wrote: »
    Can this information replace a battery monitor like Trimetric? I have connected the voltage sense cable but no RTS for temperature yet.

nope, it just knows how much is going out it's Output. No idea what's going into the batteries, and what's going into the loads.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SolarT

Pardon my newbie question. I am a little confused based on the logic below.

For the TS MPPT 60 the MsView help file shows that "Battery Current" -
    The amount of charging Amps being delivered to the battery bank, measured by the TriStar MPPT's on-board shunts. This is a filtered value. Isn't the shunt measurement used by Trimetric as well for Battery Current?

The only other thing is the Tristar has "Battery Sense Voltage" Voltage measured directly at the battery sense connection of the TriStar MPPT.

So Amp is measure by an internal shunt and we have Voltage and time. Can't I get Ah and kWh?

I am not familiar with Trimetric BM so please school me. I was hoping I can get away without BM if I have the TSMPPT 60 + MSView.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

The Battery Monitor current connection must be connected where it can monitor both the load and charging currents. Your typical charge controller only knows what it's sending out but not if 1/2 is going to an inverter and the other half is charging the battery. The BM would know that data because it monitors total battery current in and out.
  • SolarT

So the shunt on the charge controller only measures charge current going to the battery. Charge controller info only.

To reiterate, the BM measures the current going into the battery and load from the battery. All about the battery.

Still need a BM. Got it.
  • Technick
    Technick Registered Users Posts: 1

Did anyone have next problem with TS 60 and MSView?

When I connect my TS 60 to the PC with serial cable the exclamation mark is appeard in MSView. And the log file wich is stored in "C:\Program Files\Morningstar Corporation\MSView\logs" does not refresh and does not appear in the log section in MSView. I have to open it manually. But there is old information wiсh was uploaded from the controller when I connect it to PC first time. What is the problem? Why the exclamation mark is appeared and log file does not refresh?

As far as I know there must be 90 days data stored in the controller.

I will be grateful for answers.
  • scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

snip.......................
    the first thing I would do is correct the min. and max. battery voltage titles since they are reversed and max. indicates min. values and visversa.

Ive mentioned it to their techs before the latest update but it wasnt adressed.

snip

And 5 years latter still hasn't been fixed.

• scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Well finally got time to figure out MSview and using it with my TS-45. Turns out to be mostly wasted effort because you can't change the recorded functions on the TS-45, only set up a logger and let the laptop run all the time. Not practical in and RV. It appears MSview was written to work best with some models of MPPT.
  • Ako
    Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited March 2017 #52
    I find msview works well with the exception of a few bugs that are annoying and can be misleading if you dont notice or correct them . The min/max for panel voltage is the wrong way around as been pointed out , also the date and time is out ,, for me the date is 2 days behind , you cant do anything about the date except change it when you do a log and save it the same way the min/max has to be changed . The time is set for UTC but if your time zone is not UTC then you have to set your computer to be one hour ahead of what your time zone actually is not the your time difference between UTC and your time zone so either your computer has to permanently show the wrong time for everything or msview will be wrong . I am surprised these anomalies haven been addressed and corrected .

ie: my time is UTC + 2 Hours ( UTC 0900hrs , my time 1100hrs ) msview will show it on everything as 1000hrs , no idea where the additional hour comes from but if i set my computer to 1200hrs then msview will show 1100hrs and match my actual physical time but my computer will take this reading for everything else i do on it . Msview recognises somehow that i am ahead of UTC but wrongly .

There are also some spurious entries that are ridiculously out such as showing Float , or Equalisation for several thousands of minutes when there are only 1440 minutes in a 24 hour period .
    2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
    Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
    24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
    LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
    Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
    DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time zone thing could be a DST issue. Seems like a simple thing, but coding it properly, especially on small brained devices, is surprisingly hard. Don't know about the two day thing.

The time in float etc sounds like a conversion bug. Unix based OS likely uses seconds since epoch for datetime calcs. If the number/60 is reasonable for charge stage times, that's likely the issue.

I haven't decided if I'll bother using it for the pair of PWM tristars I'm installing this spring. Maybe if I need to tweak settings or if I get around to doing a tiny-computer based monitoring/security/control system I've been thinking about.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSView and Morningstar gear do NOT use a real time clock.  Just counters and timers,   Morningstar has a page that explains how to
    massage the CSV file in a spreadsheet to correct for time,  It's a PITA but works

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/adjusting-morningstar-data-log-file-time-zone/

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,