morningstar msview

notsobright
notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
I have a morningstar SunSaver DUO charge controller and morningstar has recently released a version or msview (1.3.18.0) that has data logging for this controller.

I have been able to program custom set points with older versions of msview but the data logging is new feature.

Im not so sure msview is ready for prime time, at least in combination with the SSD charge controller.

after setting the max. charge regulation set point I still get a higher charge voltage and while trying to make use of the historical graph feature with a saved data log the program will frequently stop responding but then after I close and reopen the program and do the same drag-n-drop to the graph it will then work OK. seems 50/50 on XP pro spk2

Is anyone else here using the msview data logging with historical graph without issues on other MS Charge controllers or have any issues other with MSView software?

also has anyone been able to run msview in linux and if so what version? MS tech support says its not officially supported but has been reported to work but could not specify on exactly what flavor.

thanks

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: morningstar msview
    also has anyone been able to run msview in linux and if so what version? MS tech support says its not officially supported but has been reported to work but could not specify on exactly what flavor.

thanks

The Morningstar web site says MSView needs a 386 and Win95 or above, which should run easily under Wine. If it's running in Linux, it's almost certainly running under Wine which can be installed and run on any flavor of Linux.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've run the July/aug version with WinXP with my MPPT 60A controller. Had some issues at first, but the later release helped a lot with the data export. Didn't get to hook up to the controller this last trip, too busy with critical projects (raise the spillway 2' for another acre-foot of water storage for next year)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    The Morningstar web site says MSView needs a 386 and Win95 or above, which should run easily under Wine. If it's running in Linux, it's almost certainly running under Wine which can be installed and run on any flavor of Linux.

Could be running under VMware -- there's a free version of that, but it requires a full Windows license to run the virtual machine.
  • notsobright

not many here make use of the MorningStar software it seems.

Im still getting familiar with it but so far it can tell it has a whole lot of room for improvement. its just the basics though but thats better than nothing I guess.

the first thing I would do is correct the min. and max. battery voltage titles since they are reversed and max. indicates min. values and visversa.

Ive mentioned it to their techs before the latest update but it wasnt adressed.

a more user customizable historical graph would be great. the standard graphs are very hard to read since there is no grid background.

about the linux options, wine and Vmware are good suggestions but I should have been more clear. I was hoping to find a good starting point that I might could strip down small enough to be able to run on my router as a drone.

member westy1982 has programmed his own version to read the MS MODBUS

http://westyd1982.wordpress.com/

thats probably the best place to start but Im still just gathering info for a winter project if/when time permits. its still just a hobby for me but I tend to get carried away with it sometimes.

thanks
  • dwh
    about the linux options, wine and Vmware are good suggestions but I should have been more clear. I was hoping to find a good starting point that I might could strip down small enough to be able to run on my router as a drone.

I don't see how. If MSView is distributed as a pre-compiled Windows binary, then it is what it is - running it under Linux will pretty much require either Wine or a VM setup.

Seems like that that guy at the linked blog has the polling nailed with his C code. I would double check it against the Duo MODBUS spec sheet just to check for diffs, since he wrote his for an MPPT.

Looks like he's running his on a computer, not a device so there are some issues I can see right off.

His code depends on libmodbus, and you'd need to get that compiled and installed on whatever your router OS is (dd-wrt?).

He's taking the output from his polling code and then using that to create the web page - so you'd have to whip up something to do that as well.

As for historical logging and/or graphing - where do you keep the logs?. He's got plenty of space for logs on his computer - you'll have limited space on your device.
  • westyd1982
    westyd1982 Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭

I tried to get MSView to run under WINE on my Mac. It runs fine, but I can't get a serial connection. I couldn't get it to recognize my USB serial port. I dug out an old PC that runs Windows 2000 and it worked fine. MSView didn't seem very useful, didn't do what I wanted, and required a PC that draws lots of power.

As referenced in notsobright's post, I ended up writing C code to access the data on my Sunsaver MPPT and my Suresine 300. The code and directions I wrote should work great on any small Linux box - like any device that can run DD-WRT, OpenWrt, or other Linux variant. You just need a way to compile it. I run it on a Sheevaplug running Debian (<5 solar powered watts).

The code on my blog site (http://westyd1982.wordpress.com/) are just examples of how to pull all the data from a Sunsaver MPPT and a SureSine 300. If you are trying to make it work with a Sunsaver Duo, you just need to download the MODBUS documentation from the Morningstar web site and use the Sunsaver MPPT code as template. I can't test it, but this code should read the first five RAM registers from the Sunsaver Duo:

[HTML]

/*
    * sunsavertestduo.c

Copyright 2010 Tom Rinehart.

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

*/

/* Compile with: cc sunsavertestduo.c -o sunsavertestduo -lmodbus */

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <modbus/modbus.h>

#define SUNSAVERDUO 0x01 /* Default address of the SunSaver DUO */

int main(void)
    {
    modbus_param_t mb_param;
    int ret;
    float vb1,vb2,va,ia1,ia2;
    uint16_t data[10];

/* Setup the serial port parameters */
    modbus_init_rtu(&mb_param, "/dev/ttyUSB0", 9600, "none", 8, 2);

/* Open the MODBUS connection */
    if (modbus_connect(&mb_param) == -1) {
    printf("ERROR Connection failed\n");
    exit(1);
    }

/* Read the first five RAM Registers (0x04) and convert the results to
    their proper floating point values */
    ret = read_input_registers(&mb_param, SUNSAVERDUO, 0x0000, 5, data);

vb1=data[0]/1800.0;
    printf("vb1=%.2f V\n",vb1);

vb2=data[1]/1800.0;
    printf("vb2=%.2f V\n",vb2);

va=data[2]/1032.0;
    printf("va=%.2f V\n",va);

ia1=data[3]/673.0;
    printf("ia1=%.2f A\n",ia1);

ia2=data[4]/673.0;
    printf("ia2=%.2f A\n",ia2);

/* Close the MODBUS connection */
    modbus_close(&mb_param);

return(0);
    }

[/HTML]

I use code from the example code for the SunSaver MPPT and the SureSine in a program that runs every five minutes to create a web page and graphics with my power system information (the image at the top of my blog site is an example).
  • dwh

Oh hey...didn't notice that was your blog where the code was. :D

So he really needs your whole program to create the web page as well as the polling code.

How are you doing the graphs?
    Are you keeping any logs or ??
  • westyd1982

I haven't posted the program that makes my web pages and graphics yet. I can, but it is tailored to my system and would have to be modified to be useful for anyone else (where as, the examples should just work for anyone and they could build from there). The program draws the graph and the "panel meter" looking images as well as writing the html page. All the graphics are png files created using the gd2 graphics library (also free and easy to install and use on Linux). I use a simple cron file to run the program every 5 minutes to update everything. If anyone is interested, I can post more details on my blog site.

I save every day's graph on my web server. This has been a great tool for tracking my power generation and DC power usage. I also log a bunch of the information to plain text files. These files have been useful occasionally (e.g., if I want to see what the maximum power the system was creating on a particular day). If you have some C programming ability, this is definitely the way to go to build your own system monitor using the Morningstar products that have a MODBUS connection.
  • tallgirl

I wasn't aware the code was compile-it-yourself C. The data loggers we sell support Morningstar and do all the real time displays, historical charts, graphs, reports, etc. we support for OutBack and SMA.

It's Java, runs on a 5 watt Geode-based "router-board" system, etc. If you've got a source of 12VDC @ 500ma or so, it can be run directly from that as well. I have a copy of the software monitoring a SS-MPPT-15 and PentaMetric right now. I'd add an inverter, but I don't have much use for the electricity coming out of the SS-MPPT as it is ...
  • notsobright

hi westyd1982, thanks for extra help here again! with your lead I think I might be able to come up with something more useful for my system at some point.

interesting that you have split the signal successfully with a phone jack splitter. I asked MS Tech about using one for reading the DUO CC from PC while still having the RM-1 meter connected since you need to disconnect the meter to plug in the PC adaptor and they said it wouldnt work. now I wonder if its worth trying but Id hate to screw something up beyond repair. hmmm..

I also have had problems reading/connecting to the CC with msview on different PCs, sometimes it connects with no problems but usually not so after asking them about it they said to turn off the controller and restart it by removing the fuses.

this works but with three fuses, none in the same location or easy access I decided to add three toggle switches to my system for this.

your blog was the first place I learned of the sheevaplug. very interesting device and kinda hard to get now, Ive been reading they have some trouble with supply meeting demand these days.

if I go this route I'll probably just mod another WRT54G adding a serial connector and SD card slot. its a well documented modification. these WRT54Gs are quite remarkable to say the least!

Im more familiar with DD-WRT but I think OpenWRT would probably work out better for this in the long run.

hi TallGirl, Im glad you posted that. I am also looking into the different monitors available now. I was under the impression so far that with the pentametric system it would pretty much read everything needed other than fault codes and such from the charge controller itself, no?

I was starting to think that I probably wouldnt even need to go down this path here if I went with a pentametric system. what data would I be missing if I only logged through the pentametric and skipped the MS SS DUO CC?

thanks
  • photovoltaic
    photovoltaic Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

I have the TriStar MPPT controller and have had MS View connected to it via serial. It works okay but it never has been able to reset the high and low battery voltage like it is supposed to.

But I gave up on using MS View for this controller since it has a built in webpage. I tried a router and was able to connect to it and see all the info I would like to on typical browser.

The project I want to accomplish now is to use a router with DD-WRT connected wireless to my neighbors internet ( ha ha ) and then go via the router into my TriStar.

My next project is to use an Arduino to talk Modbus via the serial or RS-485 port and have it display the datat from the Tristar MPPT controller on an LCD display. I know I could buy one from Morningstar but thought it will be a good learning experience for me to figure out how to have the Arduino do it. If anyone would like to help me with the Arduino project and code I will gladly take the help. There is a Modbus library written for the Arduino. I just have to get the serial RS 232 level converted to TTL so the Arduino can communicate with the controller. I have all the stuff , just have to get going on it.

If anyone is interested maybe we could start a new thread on the Arduino Morningstar project.
  • westyd1982
    I asked MS Tech about using one for reading the DUO CC from PC while still having the RM-1 meter connected since you need to disconnect the meter to plug in the PC adaptor and they said it wouldnt work. now I wonder if its worth trying but Id hate to screw something up beyond repair. hmmm..

I don't think this would work, because you have to switch the controller from MeterBus to MODBUS communications for the computer connection. The RM-1 uses MeterBus; the computer uses MODBUS.

The telephone splitter seems to work fine for MODBUS communications to two devices. I can pull data from a SunSaver MPPT and a SureSine inverter at the same time (I changed the MODBUS ID # on the SureSine from 1 to 2). It has worked reliably since April.

Let us know how your project goes.
  • westyd1982
    your blog was the first place I learned of the sheevaplug. very interesting device and kinda hard to get now, Ive been reading they have some trouble with supply meeting demand these days.

Sheevaplugs are still available. They have always had a long lead time on orders, and they have had power supply problems (I rewired mine for DC power early on). A good alternative is the Seagate FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter STDSA10G-RK (~$30). It has the same processor as the Sheevaplug, 3 USB ports, and is setup for an external 5v power supply. There are also good guides to setup Debian on it. The only downside is it has less memory - 128mb instead of 512. Probably not a big issue for most uses.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

A bunch of low cost ARM boards here http://www.glomationinc.com/ tend to provide more connectivity options than the sheevaplug.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

For those of us that are not quite Luddites but are not up on computer minutia a wee bit more simplified explanation would be helpful. One reason I bought the Morningstar Sun Saver MPPT controller was the program-ability and adaption to getting the correct voltage to the AGM battery at the end of the circuit.
    I am still waiting for delivery of our teardrop trailer before I can mount the solar panel and get everything wired up.
  • westyd1982
    For those of us that are not quite Luddites but are not up on computer minutia a wee bit more simplified explanation would be helpful. One reason I bought the Morningstar Sun Saver MPPT controller was the program-ability and adaption to getting the correct voltage to the AGM battery at the end of the circuit.
    I am still waiting for delivery of our teardrop trailer before I can mount the solar panel and get everything wired up.

A PC with MSView on it, and the MSC to connect from the SunSaver MPPT to the computer should do just what you want. Run the setup wizard in MSView and you can change what you need to change if you're not happy with the default settings for an AGM battery.

I'm more interested in monitoring and tracking the performance of my system. MSView doesn't cut it for me, so I wrote a computer program to graph and log the data every five minutes.
  • notsobright
    westyd1982 wrote: »
    I don't think this would work, because you have to switch the controller from MeterBus to MODBUS communications for the computer connection. The RM-1 uses MeterBus; the computer uses MODBUS.

The telephone splitter seems to work fine for MODBUS communications to two devices. I can pull data from a SunSaver MPPT and a SureSine inverter at the same time (I changed the MODBUS ID # on the SureSine from 1 to 2). It has worked reliably since April.

Let us know how your project goes.

you are right, it doesnt work, Im sure for the exact reasons you mention but I went ahead and tried it anyway before reading your post. it didnt cause any harm it just didnt work together.

I will definately let you know how it goes if I can get to that point. first Ive got to make sure the controller is 100% up to the task and thats what Im getting figured out now. seems to be some issues at this point and Im consulting with their techs to determine if it is just this controller or all these controllers (SSD) or the software or both.

I never anticipated getting this deep into everything when I started out but with unexpected results Ive had to. more on that at some point but want to be certain what is the exact cause first.
    stephendv wrote: »
    A bunch of low cost ARM boards here http://www.glomationinc.com/ tend to provide more connectivity options than the sheevaplug.

thanks for the link stephendv!

hi Shadowcatcher, "Luddites" I had to look it up LOL always learning..

thats kinda where I started except with the SSD controller instead. yes as westyd1982 has posted you should be able to do this easily with the optional adapter
    http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/pc-meterbus-adapter

and link to the current msview software

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/item.cfm?ItemId=400

if your computer system does not have a serial connection, in that case you will also need a USB to serial adapter.

morningstar suggests the Tripp Lite usb to serial adaptor:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=2430

in their "product connectivity manual"

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/MS%20Comm.%20Document%202009.pdf

this adapter is the only one they suggest and they have noted that others may not work

"It has been reported that some USB to Serial cables will not work with the MSC because the RS-232 output signal voltages are below the RS-232 electrical specification."

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/item.cfm?ItemId=113

BUT before all that I would first determine the specs of the AGM battery and then check to see if the factory set points of the controller are already in range for that specific battery because you may not even need the extras to reprogram it if they are.

if you do decide to use this software anyway for more precise control then please keep posting here your input.

Id like to gather as much info from real world users of the msview software as possible here. hopefully at some point we may have enough available for morningstar reps to review to aid them with future development and improvement.

thanks
  • tallgirl

GearHead USB-to-serial converters are the best that I've been able to find. Note that one cause of problems with these devices is connecting them through an unpowered USB hub, rather than directly into a real USB port.

As for the MSView software, it's okay for configuring the devices, but the monitoring capabilities are nil.
  • westyd1982
    this adapter is the only one they suggest and they have noted that others may not work

"It has been reported that some USB to Serial cables will not work with the MSC because the RS-232 output signal voltages are below the RS-232 electrical specification."

We should probably start a MSC thread, but just to share a different experience with USB Serial cables...

For my MSC and monitoring software I use a generic USB Serial Port cable based on the Prolific PL2303 chipset. I think I paid about $13 from Amazon for the last one I bought. I own three for various tasks and testing. I think it is the Sabrent SBT-USC6M Hi-Speed USB 2.0 to Serial (9-pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable (BLUE).

On my server that monitors and controls my power system, I have two of these USB Serial Ports (one connected to the MSC and one connected to a weather station) and a DLP-IO8-G 8-Channel Data Acquisition Board (The computer uses this to control relays to turn stuff on and off). These three devices are connected to a small unpowered USB hub that is connected to my server. This setup works, I've been using it for more than a year now.

Each of these little USB devices draw less than 0.1A, so they shouldn't need a powered hub. Generally you need a powered hub if the devices draw over 0.5A total. I have three 0.1A devices, so it works (0.3A max).
  • notsobright

Im also using a PL2303 based adapter. I tossed the package it came in so I dont know the brand and the disc that was included only indicates Prolific. havnt had problems with it that I know of except possibly the initial connection failures at first that I mentioned where I have to power off the controller and back on after physical connection but that may not be related.

hey look what I found:

http://code.google.com/p/solar-monitoring-project/downloads/detail?name=MSView v1.1.2.45.zip&can=2&q=

open source msview! ? !

http://code.google.com/p/solar-monitoring-project/

Im still reading but it looks promising so far.
  • photovoltaic

I will have to study this - looks like he might have all the info I needed to connect an Arduino to the Morningstar Controller .

hey look what I found:

http://code.google.com/p/solar-monitoring-project/downloads/detail?name=MSView v1.1.2.45.zip&can=2&q=

open source msview! ? !

• photovoltaic

The first link is just to an old version of MS View I believe. ( link didn't work but it is in the downloads area the second link goes to. )

I read his paper and it helped answer some questions about the hardware connections between the Tristar serial port and Arduino.
    Not so helpful for the software because in his paper he said he ran out of time in the semester to do that part.

His paper was about hooking up an Arduino to a Tracfone cell phone so you could call it up and get the readings from the Tristar. I am not interested in that part of the article right now but if anyone is , the hardware mods are all documented ( I believe he said he went through a few cell phones in the process) .

Now all I have to do figure out the code for the Arduino to have it spit out modbus data. There is an Arduiono library written for modbus - MODBUS Master.

hey look what I found:

open source msview! ? !

• notsobright

no such luck on msview opensource and Im still not sure why it is included in the downloads but I did test this version a little. its nice that it is a direct exe and doesnt need install but it wasnt importing the latest versions log files.

what is interesting is that it had the ability to log from the SSD and the other versions prior to the latest from morningstar since I have owned one, this feature wasnt available.

must have been problematic and even with the latest version I still have had issues with reading log files in a spread sheet. sometimes it wont and says header does not match column info.

hi photovoltaic, I did notice he was working with Arduino and had a good bit of info on that but yeah, no code.

good luck figuring it out! Im still not sure what direction I need to go on this myself but let us know if you get it working.

thanks

edit: for those interested I have posted a few screen captures of the "historical graphs" from msview in another section in hopes of finding something better for reviwing the .csv data

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9892

if you know of something let me know! and I would love to be able to view comprehensive graphs in real-time "live" but at this time I dont know what that would take however I think westyd1982 has firmly established the foundation we need to be be able to do this at some point.
  • zeuspaul
    zeuspaul Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭

Does the Tristar MPPT controller have to be powered to program it? I tried searching for the Tristar in Msview with a Vista machine and the recommended USB to serial adapter and it didn't find it. The Tristar is sitting on a bench and not yet installed to anything.

Msview specifically states the Sunsaver MPPT must be powered
    The SunSaver MPPT must be powered (battery or benchtop power supply) for successful programming.

However no such statement is made about the Tristar MPPT
    When using an RS-232 or EIA-485 connection, you must not be connected to the unit for datalogging or viewing real-time data in order to successfully program the TriStar MPPT unit. If you are using a serial connection, disconnect from the controller before attempting to program custom settings. (If you will be programming settings via TCP/IP, you do not need to disconnect from the controller in the main MSView screen.)

Now I am thinking Msview can't find the Tristar because it has no power.

Thanks

Zeuspaul
  • mike95490

I was able to program my tristar 60 MPPT , takes a long time for both flashes, and I forgot the exact sequence. But it did work.
    XP laptop | USB to serial port adapter | Tristar.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• zeuspaul

Was it hooked up to the battery?

Zeuspaul
  • mike95490
    zeuspaul wrote: »
    Was it hooked up to the battery?

Zeuspaul

I had followed the Programming instructions explicitly, and it worked (thread)

I used a Edgeport 8 USB/Serial adapter (off ebay, pretty cheap)

• notsobright
    Does the Tristar MPPT controller have to be powered to program it? I tried searching for the Tristar in Msview with a Vista machine and the recommended USB to serial adapter and it didn't find it. The Tristar is sitting on a bench and not yet installed to anything.

Msview specifically states the Sunsaver MPPT must be powered

However no such statement is made about the Tristar MPPT

Now I am thinking Msview can't find the Tristar because it has no power.

Thanks

Zeuspaul

Hi Zeuspaul,

I dont have a tri-star but what I found with the SSD controller is that after plugging in the usb/serial adapter to the powered on controller I could not connect to it. Mstar techs suggested turning off the controller and back on after making the physical connections to it. I did, and that works on the SSD controller. give it a try.

the SSD has no on off switches so instead of pulling three seperate fuses in three different locations to connect I added toggle switches inline from the pv to controller and from each battery to controller so now I just flip the switches off for a few seconds then back on.

BTW AFAIK it is not possible to program or reprogram a chip that is powered off.
  • zeuspaul
    BTW AFAIK it is not possible to program or reprogram a chip that is powered off.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. It's strange that the Msview help indicates that it is important to have the Sunsaver powered up. Silly me assumed they would have made the same statement about the Tristar if the same is true.
    Mstar techs suggested turning off the controller and back on after making the physical connections to it. I did, and that works on the SSD controller. give it a try.

That may come in handy later on. I don't have a power supply. I am still working on the mounting slab and haven't purchased the batteries yet.

BTW the screw fasteners on the Tripp-Lite USB to serial adapter are female and won't mate to the females on the Tristar MPPT. And I can't remove them on the Tripp-Lite. I had to remove the fasteners from the Tristar before I could plug in the adapter and now there is no way to secure the connection. I can't recommend this Tripp-Lite U209-000-R adapter.

Thanks

Zeuspaul
  • photovoltaic

Usually you would use a serial cable to plug into the tristar with the correct DB9 end on it. I made my own serial cable using a piece of Cat5 cable and soldered on a couple DB9 ends - that way you can bring the serial cable out to where ever you want or need it. The DB9 connector fits on tight enough in the Tristar so I don't bother with any screws on there to hold it in.

If you make your own serial cable you don't need all the wires - forget which ones to skip but it is on the Morningstar site.

BTW the screw fasteners on the Tripp-Lite USB to serial adapter are female and won't mate to the females on the Tristar MPPT. And I can't remove them on the Tripp-Lite. I had to remove the fasteners from the Tristar before I could plug in the adapter and now there is no way to secure the connection. I can't recommend this Tripp-Lite U209-000-R adapter.

Thanks

Zeuspaul