Complete equiptment list for 2.5kw system?

Chicagoink
Chicagoink Registered Users Posts: 2
What would be basic equipment list be for a 2.5kw or 5kw system, including cables, connectors, mounting system and batteries? I know there is a lot of customization you can do to tailor something to specific needs, but if you were to just boil it down to the necessities to get up and rolling, what would your equipment list be?

Ex: xyz kwh lifepo4 battery pack, 10x 250w solar panels (8amp 30v), etc. etc.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #2
    Your question is so open ended, it would be impossible to even begin suggesting anything  , a system is based on wether you are referring to on, or off grid.

If it is off grid you would start with load requirements, from this a battery capacity could be established with consideration to how many days of autonomy are required, after this a charging system and array would be caculated taking into consideration  geographical location, this is even before ballance of system requirements are calculated, distance from array, battery voltage etcetera . You don't simply build a 2.5 or 5 Kw system, it's a lot more complex than that. 

Grid tied is somewhat easier but it depends on many factors, including geographical location , is it simply to subsidize your consumption, or is there a requirement to have a hybrid system to supply some form of backup should the grid go down, if so then load and battery calculations come into play.

So without trying to be negative or rude in any way, the question asked in my opinion, is impossible to answer, perhaps others may have differing opinions.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #3
    You could start with the list shown here...
    https://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-off-grid-kit-2430-watts.html

All the basic components up to the inverter.
    From the inverter to your 120VAC distribution panel will need most likely 1/2" conduit and fittings and wire.
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • Chicagoink
    Chicagoink Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2017 #4
    The purpose would be to subsidize power usage and provide whatever a reasonable/standard amount of backup typical for a 2.5kw system is in case of intermittent blackouts. Basically just a balanced approach that you could hook up to most houses and see power savings and some blackout protection. Nothing all encompassing or tailored. I'm not particularly aware of all the lingo, but basically I don't need to go totally off the grid, and I'm sure there are endless calculations to optimize your system for your estimated habits. But I'm pretty sure no system will be perfect and there are always unexpected variables or things that can be improved. I just want a list of stuff I can put together in layman diy terms that I know will work to get rolling and see benefits at reasonable startup cost. I don't want to buy the wrong cables and start a fire, or buy a battery that won't work well with the rest of the system. Thanks for the input and suggestions
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dennis461 said:
    You could start with the list shown here...
    https://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-off-grid-kit-2430-watts.html

All the basic components up to the inverter.
    From the inverter to your 120VAC distribution panel will need most likely 1/2" conduit and fittings and wire.
    That's a great suggestion for a generic start point, which the OP was alluding to in the first place, see different people offer different solutions, thank you @ dennis461  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The purpose would be to subsidize power usage and provide whatever a reasonable/standard amount of backup typical for a 2.5kw system is in case of intermittent blackouts. Basically just a balanced approach that you could hook up to most houses and see power savings and some blackout protection. Nothing all encompassing or tailored. I'm not particularly aware of all the lingo, but basically I don't need to go totally off the grid, and I'm sure there are endless calculations to optimize your system for your estimated habits. But I'm pretty sure no system will be perfect and there are always unexpected variables or things that can be improved. I just want a list of stuff I can put together in layman diy terms that I know will work to get rolling and see benefits at reasonable startup cost. I don't want to buy the wrong cables and start a fire, or buy a battery that won't work well with the rest of the system. Thanks for the input and suggestions

What you need is knowledge.

What you describe is a hybrid system and the most complicated of all household solar systems!

Most home solar systems are either grid tied, back feeding the grid with no battery, or off grid, with no connection to the grid, with just a battery.

You say you want to "...see benefits..." The only benefits of a hybrid system is that you will suffer no or very few outages. It will cost you more than using the grid. You are much better off spending money on conservation. Have the electric company do an energy audit, find out where you are spending the most money on energy now. Then address the issues. Make your home tighter and better insulated. replace old inefficient appliances, fridges and water heaters. Put your water heater on a Grey Box timer...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google "tesla powerwall"
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    To put together a 2.5kw hybrid system is going to be up to $10,000 with the install labor and depending on how much battery you want.
    For intermittent blackouts get a generator.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.