New Ground Mount Array

Anawa
Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
I am in the process of engineering a new off-grid solar installation and will be seeking input and advice from the members of this esteem forum. We are still working through the daily load calculation, but it looks like the final array size could end-up about 8k or 24x340w panels. 

Site conditions require this one to be a ground mount situated about 200+ feet from the power center. The structure is located in a heavily wooded area and clearing is not an option. I know several of you forum regulars favor ground mount installations, so your input is solicited. I would be helpful if y'all would share some design/selection criteria. 

I came across this ground mount system: http://secure.schletter.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=140002-001&Category_Code=14 

Anybody familiar with this one? For my application being on a slope, I like the 2 pole vertical supports for each rack. 

Paul
Paul 
in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My choice was home built, consisting of 1" square steel for the basic frame and 2"×1" for horizontal mounting. Being that we experience violent wind storms during the rainy season the choice of 6 legs and the use of triangulation was employed. Everything is welded but if I were to do it again my preference would be bolted, note the  slight curvature due to heating and contraction from welding , but at least it is in an east west curve. The design, although crude has withstood some pretty high winds 120Kmh+ with no flex , my concern with using less legs was panel flex, tempered glass can take so much, then cubes. Rather than digging holes, I chose to use concrete rings filled with rocks and cement on the side with the most sail effect. One can attempt to shake it but it is pretty ridged, one thing of concern, in my mind at least, is the expansion and contraction of the steel, so purposely the securing bolts are left sufficiently torqued to allow some movement, despite not having extremes in temperatures. Just some ideas :)
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Anawa
    Thanks MG. I like the concrete ballasts. Would it be too much trouble for an image from the end to see how the frame is configured?
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like trackers for long hours of power Offgrid. I am a dealer with  Array Technology and I do not think the Store here is anymore.
    The one in the picture is great on  sloping hillsides.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My homemade wooden structure is doing nicely, It's a bit over 4 years old and has sustained 50-60mph straight line winds. It's @12 feet tall with 5 panels in a horizontal layout. I do have trees behind it and my tin can to the west, so that helps with winds out of the north and west.

McGivor's array appears to have the panels flush next to each other. While it's likely fine for his panel orientation, typically they want 1/4" gap or more between panels, helps them from building up heat.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #6
    Anawa said:

Thanks MG. I like the concrete ballasts. Would it be too much trouble for an image from the end to see how the frame is configured?
    @Photowhit said a 1/4" gap between panels is o good idea, mine have about 1/8", although not visible in photos.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Anawa
    Thanks again MG, the pic clearly shows the engineering of the brace. Here in Georgia (even where I live in the West-Central area), hurricane winds need to be considered. About 20 years ago we had hurricane Opel make its way into our area and I still see the remnants of toppled Oak trees scattered throughout the woods. Thus, my admiration of the concrete ballasts on your structure.

Dave, would like some more info on your system. Any engineering plans or details available?
    Paul 
    in Georgia

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure! Drop me an e-mail a the address below my my sig.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net