Which mulitmeter? My opinion for those looking for something reliable

13»

Comments

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Re: Which mulitmeter? My opinion for those looking for something reliable
    PNjunction wrote: »
    If those Sears ammeters are anything like my RS ammeter, the accuracy is dependent upon the battery (internal) voltage. You may want to try it with a nearly dead set of batteries and a fresh set and see if you notice any major difference.

In my case, I just use the non-rechargeable AA lithiums, which hold voltage very well. Ideally I'll be upgrading to a nicer instrument, but for now the AA lithiums help.

It's (the sears clamp on amp meter one) for quick checks and your reassurance . To diagnose a real problem , I'd use a real hardwire amp meter / shunt with this volt meter. but for non evasive readings , this meter is just fine . Finding a bad connection/resistance / ETC, it's as good as the user , then if it gets into micro volts / mA's , move to yellow fluke.

VT
  • Ks Solar
    Ks Solar Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭

Finally picked up my Southwire Meter at Lowes. True rms and dc clamp meter. Surprised it showed my led lights drawing 1.85 amps. Did not think it was that high. Attachment not found.

Still need to check against my other meters. It read over a half volt higher than my old rad shak meter. Need to check the batteries and see if that may be affecting it..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

1.85 amps * 12 volts = 22.2 watts

Not a lot of lighting energy... A single automotive head lamp is something like 50 watts.

You are "zeroing" the meter properly? If you disconnect the meter and "flop" the clamp 180 degrees, you should read about the same current but with a different +/- sign on the display.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

Based on specifications of that clamp meter. when it reads 1.85 amps, it could actually be from 1.31 amp to 2.39 amps. The specs say ±2.0% +5D.

If you want a better accuracy reading when at the bottom of the range of a clamp meter scale, measure the current by wrapping the wired through the jaws by a number of turns, and then divide the reading by that number. This will get above the higher error inherent with reading on the low end of the range.
  • Ks Solar

I will have to try that. I checked at 7 am while lights still on. Now the voltage agrees with the rad shak meter 12.22 volts.
    This is after running 20 w dusk to dawn. Shows 1.65a on pos. and 1.2a on neg. battery lead ? The Meco pir sensor draws .15 at idle :) Next I may to try my Turnigy watt meter in line to get an idea how much I am putting back every day. I know it is a "cheap" alternative, but it is what I have .
    Before I get too far off track and I totally hijack your thread Les I can say that I like the new meter. It has the dc clamp amperage I wanted and a lot of other features. Also like the backlight. It has a nice strong clamp and I like the weight. It "feels" solid.
  • Les Nagy

I am glad you like your purchase. Like I said, CEM makes good designs, it is just that their QC can be rather random. If you take it apart to look inside, look out for bad solder joints on the input jacks, broken and badly repaired circuit boards, dirt inside, and rushed assembly of the selector knob that could be partly broken.
  • Ks Solar

Yea Hopefully I got one of the "good" ones;)
  • Ks Solar

I took a look inside. Sorry I did not take out the circuit board. I really did not want to deal with the spring on the clamp and take a chance screwing up my new meter :blush: I am a 53 yo newbe with bad eyes already..

It is not too dirty, a little dust maybe. Attachment not found.

One observation is some corrosion or flux/sloppy work for sure at the B+ connection point. I have notice this on LED flashlights. They all seem to develop intermittent continuity somewhere and I find corrosion either from lack of workmanship-most likely or salt air during the slow boat ride. Attachment not found.

I do like the probe covers , handy for working in close quarters. Only about 1/8 in. of the tips are exposed. Attachment not found.

Glad I did not encounter the litany of problems you mention Les.:D Looks like a 2 yr. warranty so hopefully I will not have any bad followups before..

FYI this is a Southwire 21050T
  • Les Nagy

It looks like you got a good one. ;)
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

I don't suppose one of the staff would consider making this a sticky thread?

Thank you, Les, for your wisdom and advice.
    Paul
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

I put a link to this thread in the Working FAQ thread a while ago:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

BB. wrote: »
    Poster Les Nagy has a thread suggesting various volt meters:

Which mulitmeter? My opinion for those looking for something reliable

-Bill

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ILFE

Thank you, Bill. I had not taken time to look there.

I appreciate the time you folks put in here.
    Paul
  • Les Nagy

I am glad this thread is helping people. I will be posting some review videos on two pretty good clamp meters very soon. I will update here when they are uploaded.
  • ILFE
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    I am glad this thread is helping people. I will be posting some review videos on two pretty good clamp meters very soon. I will update here when they are uploaded.

I sent the guy a link to this thread. He appreciated the thread very much.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing one of the multimeters solely on your recommendation. I think it was the first one you linked to, the Digitek DT-2843R AC+DC True RMS Multimeter with Backlight and Temperature.

I really appreciate your time and efforts to help advise others regarding these tools.
    Paul
  • Ks Solar
    Been gone for a couple years. Thought I would jump in with an update on my Southwire meters .  The first one got stolen.  So I dropped down to a AC only version. I used it a year and left it on a sign.  Did not realize for a couple days. Hence a third meter. Now I have 2 again as I found it the next time I worked on that sign. It spent about 3-4 months out side in rain and other Kansas weather.

Bottom line they have all worked perfect for me. I love the display and lighted face.  Mine are for 120 to 480V and 12 V dc.  Accuracy is not critical in my jobs.  Use is nearly constant some days. They have held up well. I need to replace the leads on one after throwing it in my toolbag over and over while not in its case. Bad move.  Oh and I dropped one and broke the clamp. Elec tape and it still works good.

The southwires get a good review from me. 

• ILFE
    edited February 2017 #77
    Ks Solar said:
    Been gone for a couple years.

Better late than never! 

BTW, the one I purchased, in my previous post just above, is still working fine and made the trip all the way to Cambodia.
    Paul
  • Ks Solar
    Dang that is good. Looks like yours has the hands free probe slot. I wish mine had that.