Which mulitmeter? My opinion for those looking for something reliable

Comments

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Re: Which mulitmeter? My opinion for those looking for something reliable
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    The standard everyone seems to use is the 87V but it is low on features for the price. Then there is the 28II EX. That will shock your wallet!

I would disagree, but we are going in circles again. :) The 87V is meant primarily for electronics, and not electrical work, which is basically what we are doing with solar.

Low-priced Flukes like the 11x line (114 and up) are entirely suitable for our use. The next step up would be the 175. No need for an 87V. Many models to choose from, but the constant price-bashing starts to sound like more of a sales pitch for Brymen. While I liked what I saw in the Brymen, I'm not attacking it from a low-price / cheaper componentry aspect. Works both ways. :)
  • Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

I just remembered that there is another IP67 rated meter for not too much money. I don't have any experience with it and I haven't seen any reviews of it. The Amprobe HD160 looks like a winner for Cambodia too. Amprobe also has the AM-140-A and AM-160A which are Brymen made meters and are very good buys too.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

My 2c.
    I checked the calibration of my old carry meter (was new when I bought it) a few years ago, still right on the money after all these years of hard use.
    If you need to save money find a used Fluke at a good price for a meter that can be depended on for decades.

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

A new or used Fluke 177-9 should be a good middle range field meter with a Lifetime warranty .

I sometimes design prototype motor controllers to test machines at work, the last thing I need to worry about is multimeter reliability so I use an old Fluke 45 on most bench construction projects.
    http://www.fluke.com/fluke/auen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-45.htm?PID=56082

Some controller builds where the motor driver output must be completely passive (only relays and slowing resistors like the original controllers)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/sets/72157630632759744/
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

While Brymen meters give you more bang for your buck, there is no doubt that Fluke meters have a well deserved reputation for reliability and long term, stable accuracy.

For someone looking for an inexpensive, accurate, durable Fluke meter - I highly recomend a used Fluke 27 meter.

Though not as prevalent as in the past, you can still find many of these as military surplus, often in excellent or like new condition on eBay

The 3200 count resolution is plenty for RE system work. They are built like a tank with an IP67 rating. They can be immersed in water or dropped from a roof and not miss a beat.

I picked one up on eBay a while back for $80 in like new condition and with the high voltage probe - which is what I was really after.

It's a great meter if you want to go outside to check your array in the rain or be up on a roof or a tracker array and not worry about dropping your meter.

Dave from the EEV Blog did a nice youtube video teardown and review of a fluke 27. HERE
  • Les Nagy

I agree and recommended a Fluke 27 too. One thing, they are not 6000 count but rather 3200 count. I have one and am very happy to have it. Mine came with a 6kV probe, RF probe, nice test leads with slip on alligator clips, and a carry case. It is a new old stock 27/FM, the latest version, and is CAT rated CATIV 1000V. Like I said before, only the all grey versions with 27/FM on the display bezel are True-RMS. The only draw backs? No back light and no temperature measurement.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

Yes - corrected that error just at you were posting - 3200 count it is - still good enough for RE work.

Oh - and apologies - i missed your earlier reccomendation of the Fluke 27 - I see it now!
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Dave is a nut and I love most of his reviews.

How do you destroy a Fluke 28 meter? Fluke killer
  • Les Nagy

He had choice I believe. I think he was given the meter to review and to show how tough it was and to test it to destruction.
  • PNjunction
    The only draw backs? No back light and no temperature measurement.

Great score, especially if you get the later models that are true-rms. But even if they are in relatively decent shape, those are 25-30 year old components inside, and like my venerable 8060A which I loved, the caps just finally gave up the ghost. And, unless you have it checked or calibrated after all those years, I personally wouldn't trust it over a brand new inexpensive 11x line.

Les - I think I found a workable solution for us: Get BOTH a Brymen and a Fluke! :)

As crazy as that sounds, for us minimalistic / conservative guys, monitoring the entire pack voltage under charge, and using the other meter for individual cell checking is actually helpful with lifepo4 when checking balancing at relatively low rates of charge.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Thank you for all this insight. When I was searching for meters, I only went as far as the moderators on this forum. They have great experience with the right tools. I found the ( most inexpensive and useful was the ) $60 Sears clamp meter. Once I figured out how to use its reverse-implemented zero button, I've never needed any other meter for my needs. I also like the optional accessory for clamping extension cords-I never can judge a wire by its insulation jacket!
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

$60 Sears clamp meter
    Attachment not found.

I like this one also . I have 5 + DVM to Pico lab scopes , fluke etc.
    I grab this for Solar.

VT
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I also use the sears clamp meter, when not using the $3 harbor freight one. My only complaint is that my eyes are getting so bad that I wish the mode button eyecons on the display were a bit bigger.
    gww
  • PNjunction

If those Sears ammeters are anything like my RS ammeter, the accuracy is dependent upon the battery (internal) voltage. You may want to try it with a nearly dead set of batteries and a fresh set and see if you notice any major difference.

In my case, I just use the non-rechargeable AA lithiums, which hold voltage very well. Ideally I'll be upgrading to a nicer instrument, but for now the AA lithiums help.
  • Ks Solar
    Ks Solar Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭

I use Lowes a lot. Is the Southwire worth getting ?http://www.lowes.com/pd_464289-295-21030T_0__?productId=50125833&Ntt=clamp+meter&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dclamp%2Bmeter&facetInfo=

Not sure if the link looks right. I apologize if it does not . I guess it did. Does anybody know who makes it? I just need a clamp meter for troubleshooting and evening out loads on lighting circuits. Does true rms mean it will measure dc amps as well? That would be a bonus.
  • Les Nagy
    Ks Solar wrote: »
    I use Lowes a lot. Is the Southwire worth getting ?http://www.lowes.com/pd_464289-295-21030T_0__?productId=50125833&Ntt=clamp+meter&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dclamp%2Bmeter&facetInfo=

Not sure if the link looks right. I apologize if it does not . I guess it did. Does anybody know who makes it? I just need a clamp meter for troubleshooting and evening out loads on lighting circuits. Does true rms mean it will measure dc amps as well? That would be a bonus.

That Southwire meter is again made by CEM:
    http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/pro/pro-513.html

It is a variation of that model. All the caveats about CEM still applies. CEM makes many of the meters you see with house brands, but not all, along with Mastech and a couple of other OEM manufacturers. That Sears model and this one come from CEM, as does all the EX series meters from Extech. It is probably OK but as I have reported before this manufacturer has a history of very poor quality control. If you get a good one, it is a good buy for the price and features. At least if you have a problem you can return it easily enough. I would suggest a good thing to do is when you get it make sure it is working as advertised and then open it up and show some pictures of the insides. We can look for any build problems.

Edit: Actually I change my mind. That Wiresouth meter appears to be AC current only. Useless for solar energy work. I would not buy it. TRMS just means it can measure a non-pure sine wave and give a correct reading.

This one does DC:
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=464288-295-21050T&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50125831&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
  • Ks Solar

Thanks for the clarification. I have an Amprobe dmm I have been happy with it. Looks like the cheaper Amprobe won't do dc amperage? I'd really like to have that feature. http://www.lowes.com/pd_217631-11906-ACD-4/RL_0__?productId=3305990&Ntt=clamp+meters&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dclamp%2Bmeters%26page%3D2&facetInfo=
    I like the ergonomics of the Southwire better too. The search is still on.

Looks like 200 dollars is the start of dc clamp on Flukehttp://http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/currentclamps/325.htm Good to spend a little more now and be done :)
  • Les Nagy

Correct, that Amprobe clamp meter is AC only too. I would try the more expensive model from Southwire. Like I said, you can return it easily enough.
  • Ks Solar

This is true. I really don't want to drop 200 on a meter right now . Too much in line first. The "good" tools seem to end up on my bucket truck for my sign and lighting biz. Anything to make my jobs better and faster. Right now I need to open up my multi- meters :)
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Les,
    Have you had any experience with a Tenma 72-7730A. Specs look good for accuracy but no clue of build quality. It is sold by MCM Electronics.
    Thanks
    Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Les Nagy
    Raj174 wrote: »
    Les,
    Have you had any experience with a Tenma 72-7730A. Specs look good for accuracy but no clue of build quality. It is sold by MCM Electronics.
    Thanks
    Rick

That multimeter is a re-branded Uni-Trend UT71B.
    http://uni-trend.com/UT71B.html
    It has very poor input protection but is an overall not bad meter for electronics. It has a very good display, nice back light, OK build quality, PC connection included with software, dual display and good accuracy. The continuity test is very slow and the display update rate is pretty slow too. Generally I would recommend this model for the bench, low voltage and electronics and occasional electrical work. I personally have the UT71E which is the more capable brother to this meter so yes I have "direct" experience. I would not recommend it for electrical and solar work but it isn't a bad meter. The sale price makes it an attractive buy and probably most people would be happy with it.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    That multimeter is a re-branded Uni-Trend UT71B.
    http://uni-trend.com/UT71B.html
    It has very poor input protection but is an overall not bad meter for electronics. It has a very good display, nice back light, OK build quality, PC connection included with software, dual display and good accuracy. The continuity test is very slow and the display update rate is pretty slow too. Generally I would recommend this model for the bench, low voltage and electronics and occasional electrical work. I personally have the UT71E which is the more capable brother to this meter so yes I have "direct" experience. I would not recommend it for electrical and solar work but it isn't a bad meter. The sale price makes it an attractive buy and probably most people would be happy with it.

Thank you Les,

I did want it for RE solar work, so I decided to go with the Tenma 72-7224 clamp meter. Looks adequate for my needs and got it for 45 dollars with a discount code.

Thanks for this helpful thread.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Les Nagy

Ironically that Tenma clamp meter is a re-branded UT203A, which is basically the same meter as the UT204A which I recommended as a useful meter for the price. The 203 lacks temperature.
    You can get the UT204A cheaper from sites like this:
    http://www.dx.com/p/uni-t-ut204a-1-5-lcd-digital-clamp-multimeter-1-x-9v-6f22-127969#.VDTUYRYfP-s
  • Ks Solar

Dang just what I am looking for..:) Also anybody know which Fluke model or cheaper model has the feature where one probe can be stuck in the side of the meter? I saw this on the job and is good for freeing up one hand. Needed this feature yesterday :)
  • Les Nagy

All the Brymens have this feature. The BM257 is particularly suited for this as it is small and easier to get into tight places.
  • Ks Solar

Anybody tell me what the little round puck on the meter . ? It is connected to the board with 2 springs . Is it maybe a lithium batt maybe? This is a pic of my old trusty Rad shak meter. Attachment not found.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Ks Solar wrote: »
    Anybody tell me what the little round puck on the meter . ? It is connected to the board with 2 springs . Is it maybe a lithium batt maybe? This is a pic of my old trusty Rad shak meter.
    My guess is that it is the noisemaker for the continuity test function. It does not look like either a battery or a battery holder.
    Is there a small sound hole in the case underneath it?
    With the connection made by springs, it would not be part of any measuring circuit. And the fuse is in the other half.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Ks Solar

ok a buzzer makes sense.
  • Les Nagy

Yes, it is a piezo electric buzzer
  • Ks Solar

Thanks I know not the pics u wanted :) I discovered I threw out my old busted clamp meter. :( I am trying to remember the brand -maybe uci not sure. I have 4 others .. My Amprobe is almost as old as my radshak. I love it. Then I have a Innova ? I needed a meter while out of town. Not sure why one was not on my truck. So maybe one more is needed anyway. Like flashlights, one in the house one in the garage and in every vehicle.. Am I nuts?
  • Les Nagy

No you are not nuts. I have something like 12 multimeters. I tend to be obsessive compulsive when get in interest in something.