Proper Electrolyte Level

Options
pyintheye
pyintheye Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
I have been working to get my SOC back to factory specs, following the advise on this and other forums. Specifically raising AB time and AB voltage. My SG's are close to 1.27 but the fluid level is about a 1/2 inch below where the manufacturer wants the fluid to be. Do I add more water, dilute the SG's and keep charging, OR is the fluid already at the "right" level?
Thanks.
Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You know the answer ... 
    "... the fluid level is about a 1/2 inch below where the manufacturer wants the fluid to be ..."

• pyintheye
    pyintheye Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    mvas said:
    You know the answer ... 
    "... the fluid level is about a 1/2 inch below where the manufacturer wants the fluid to be ..."

Hey mvas
    Too early in the year to be gob smacked like that. But if it's that simple, I like that.
    Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    Assuming the battery is fully charged and the SG is as high as it will rise, this would be the time to add water to the correct level. Note: Adding water will lower lower SG readings as the water and acid will be stratified, an EQ will mix the electrolyte and bring the water into solution. That being said the EQ will raise the temperature of the electrolyte and SG readings will be offset and will need to be compensated for, the EQ  voltage should also be reduced as temperature of the battery rises using a remote temperature sensor. After cooling and no loads, say overnight, take your SG readings. Alway follow the manufacturers recommendations as not all batteries are alike, age is another factor which affects readings.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.