Xantrex gridtie inverter. INSIDES. whats inside? (behind heatsink)

animatt
animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
wondering what is inside the xantrex gridtie inverter.  I have seen the electronics in the lower section, but did not see behind the large heatsink.

I wondering what behind the heatsink.  I see in the manual there is a high frequency transformer. which i imagine is then small.

is it just a bunch of mosfets?   anyone with a picture? 

BB you ever peak in yours?

thanks

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    Most probably that's where all the magic smoke is kept...ha ha
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • animatt
    That was a good one.  

I am looking at picking up a used one.  It is to try and setup an ac coupled system with an offgrid system i already have.

Something in the range of 1-2kw.  But not sure how that will work out due to some parameters i have. so dont want to spend too much money.  But very aware that magic smoke may want to come billowing out at any moment.
    so was wondering what was there under the heatsink, incase some repairs are needed.

originally i was hoping it was a unit with a big transformer. but documentation says high frequency transformer so kind of rules that out.

I am still curious.

i know believe BB used to have a Xantrex gridtie inverter. Although not sure he know.   

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Nope, never did look inside mine (other than the wiring panel).

And I could not find any interior photos on the web or in any current manuals.

Here is an example of what a "generic" GT inverter looks like inside (Fronius):

http://www.thesolarplanner.com/solar_inverters.html
    httpwwwthesolarplannercomimagesinverter_diagramjpg
    -Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    A laptop has more electronics than that. Why the high prices?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    Prices... Switching AC power supplies for computers used to be a "good deal" (I worked at a mini-mainframe computer manufacturer back in the mid-1980's) and $0.50 per watt was a good deal (in lots of a 100's).

Today, you can buy a 5.5kw Hybrid Inverter for $3,875 retail:

https://www.solar-electric.com/schneider-electric-xw-5548-inverter.html

$3,875 / 5,500 watts = $0.70 per Watt

Not bad for 30+ years of inflation. Off shore manufacturing of components has really kept inflation out of electronics to a large degree.

In general, copper is still not cheap, toroid transformers are usually hand wound--And all of the mounting of large components and heat sinks is probably still hand work too.

In the "olden days"--Retail pricing of larger computer systems was about 10x the wholesale cost of parts (and retail was 50% to 100% above wholesale costs).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • animatt
    yeah i saw that fronius inverter.  I personally like the heavy transformers(toroids) inside the inverters.  I was hoping something similiar was in the xantrex inverter.  But given the 1 mention of high frequency transformer in the manual.  and the fairly thin dimensions i  know that is not the case.

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Nope, never did look inside mine (other than the wiring panel).

And I could not find any interior photos on the web or in any current manuals.

Here is an example of what a "generic" GT inverter looks like inside (Fronius):

Interesting!  That's the inverter I have (although it's labeled "Sunpower" on the outside.)  It is worth noting that that's a transformer based inverter; most modern inverters are moving to transformerless designs.
  • tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I am posting here so as to maybe save those build systems from having any involvement with Fronius, I have 2 IG5100 that are 5 years old. One failed 6 months ago and the other one failed a month ago. I cannot get them to honor their 10 year warranty. There is no dealer with an hour and that one will not service the Fronius in-warranty unit. Fronius treats the end user with animosity. My second system has two grid-tied Sunny Boy -- go SMA, avoid Fronius at all costs.
    hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • BB.
    Might check with state law. California required 10 year warranty to get state rebates.

-Bill