Looking for DC voltage, amperage, wattage, kw meter?

jimmyaz
jimmyaz Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭
Hey guys,

I am currently using this meter for my offgrid and it work great.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-100V-Display-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481565146&sr=8-1&keywords=bayite+dc+meter

It measure DC voltage, amperage and wattage and accumulated energy and displayed them all and I love it.

However, my new project required DC voltage is 160volts, but this little meter max out at 100V DC.  I have been looking all over the place, but can not find any alternative with a decent price... (less then 50.00).  This company made the same product that can do up to 260volts, but for AC only.

The only other one I found that reasonable is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PQ7L5K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFHAE9RJVUMB

But it only show voltage and amps.... not watts or most important, accumulated power.

:(

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Depending on how the meter is wired--Using a resistor divider on the voltage input may work. Scale by 1/2 to 1/10 -- The voltage will be "wrong" and so will be the power--But you only have to multiply by your scaling factor to get it right for logging.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jimmyaz
    Hey guys,

If I have 4 panels, put 2 in series then parralles the set together... Do you guys think I should install bypass diodes between the two parallels set?

Let say one set may get some shadow over it at certain time (neighbor tree)

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jimmyaz said:
    Hey guys,

If I have 4 panels, put 2 in series then parralles the set together... Do you guys think I should install bypass diodes between the two parallels set?   ......

No. 

Who is that person planting ideas that you have to have a bunch of diodes to have solar work ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jimmyaz
    mike95490 said:
    jimmyaz said:
    Hey guys,

If I have 4 panels, put 2 in series then parralles the set together... Do you guys think I should install bypass diodes between the two parallels set?   ......

No. 

Who is that person planting ideas that you have to have a bunch of diodes to have solar work ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYy0gHZepI

Saw this video.. not 100% sure if it's true.  3:20 is where she start talking about two panels in parallels and one being shaded. 

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #6

mike95490 said:
    jimmyaz said:
    Hey guys,

No. 

As most, if not all modern PV panels already have bypass diodes installed in the junction box to bypass shaded cell strings within the panel, the only additional diodes you could install would be panel bypass or blocking.

A panel bypass would essentially eliminate the entire panel, so instead of getting say 66% power, if 2 cell strings within the panel were bypassed, for example, you would get nothing.

Blocking diodes prevent back feed from the battery to the panels when they are producing nothing, but are unnecessary as the charge controller already has diodes to prevent this.

The parallel panel question, one shaded on a sailboat for example, would addressed by using 2 separate controllers, so by her own admission, diodes are not the best method.

So unless I am missing something @mike95490 is correct, No they are not needed.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.