Meanwell PB-1000-24 FAILURE after about a year!

Options
kaipo_boy
kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
Well, I bought both a Meanwell PB-1000-24 and an Iota DLS-24 (the Iota kept tripping my Ryobi 2200w generator, so I got the Meanwell, which draws less) and wouldn't you know it, about a month outside of the 1 year warranty, the Meanwell has FAILED utterly. It has 2 charging circuits (no idea why) and neither will work. The unit powers up, but there is no output at all.  I have less than 20 hours of use on this unit (I live in Hawaii, haven't needed it very often).  Looks like I'll be busting out the Iota (good thing it didn't sell on the Buy & Sell page, but lousy reason to need it)...  its been over a year since I looked at this issue. Has anyone else have anything to report on the Meanwells?

Comments

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have read they meant well.  But appear from the joke(not mine, think I read it here a while back). It is in the category of cheap electronics. It is kind of like AIMS . Not a good reputation.  I have no actual experience 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mean Well claims to have a 3 year warranty, see second page, 1 notes on operation, attached manual 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • kaipo_boy
    Options

Thanks Mcgivor! I'll give their customer support a try... but its a generic web page and they note they are in Taiwan so I'm not sure there is anyone I can send this to in the USA. Hope they have a dealer here! I'll post my results when I know more....

aloha,

walt

• kaipo_boy
    Options
    Well, I input a help ticket under "Customer Service" on their webpage and it appears to be timing out.... its been more than 5 minutes so far...
  • kaipo_boy
    Options
    OK, didn't get anywhere with Meanwell's webpage, it keeps timing out when you click 'go'. I called them instead (their USA office). I was promptly informed that the unit I have (purchased off Amazon) does NOT HAVE ANY WARRANTY because their 3year 'warranty' applies only to the original purchaser, which they say cannot be me as Amazon is NOT an authorized seller. So, their '3 year warranty' only applies if you buy it from Meanwell or one of their authorized sellers, which they say they list on their webpage.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #7
    Options
    kaipo_boy said:
    OK, didn't get anywhere with Meanwell's webpage, it keeps timing out when you click 'go'. I called them instead (their USA office). I was promptly informed that the unit I have (purchased off Amazon) does NOT HAVE ANY WARRANTY because their 3year 'warranty' applies only to the original purchaser, which they say cannot be me as Amazon is NOT an authorized seller. So, their '3 year warranty' only applies if you buy it from Meanwell or one of their authorized sellers, which they say they list on their webpage.

WOW! If it was through Amazon, ask them for a refund! If they said it had a 3 year warranty, they should be responsible!

If it was an Amazon Market place purchase, then they just connected you to another seller. You should have a receipt from that seller. Usually you can 'see' all this information in your purchase email or Amazon account info.

Please leave feedback about this at Amazon!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,454 admin
    Options
    http://fortune.com/2016/10/28/amazon-hoverboard-lawsuit/

Amazon amzn hasn’t heard the end of its fire-causing hoverboards.

On Wednesday morning, the Fox family filed a lawsuit naming nine defendants, including Amazon and various sellers on the website, USA Today reports. They’re seeking $30 million in damages after a hoverboard they purchased on Amazon caught fire and burned their home down on Jan. 9. The family is also requesting that the jury consider additional financial penalties.

“The Foxes contend that Amazon and its various subsidiaries had information about the danger of this product well in advance of the Jan. 9 fire,” the family’s lawyer, Steven Anderson, told USA Today. The lawsuit states that Brian Fox, the family’s patriarch, saved two of his children from the second floor of their home. In addition to the loss of their $1 million home, most of their personal possessions were lost in the fire.

The lawsuit alleges that the Foxes thought they were purchasing a hoverboard made with a Samsung lithium iron battery, and instead were sold a counterfeit product from a fake organization.

“We’ve spent months investigating it and to this day I don’t know who manufactured this product, and it doesn’t appear that Amazon does,” Anderson added. The hoverboard was bought from a seller known as “W-Deals,” which is registered to an apartment in New York City. It’s uncertain who manufactured the product, and the seller has not responded to requests from any lawyers in this case.

In the state where this fire occurred, the state law is the retailer is responsible for damages if the manufacture is unknown/does not accept liability.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:

In the state where this fire occurred, the state law is the retailer is responsible for damages if the manufacture is unknown/does not accept liability.

-Bill

My understanding as well, Though Amazon has a "market place" like so many retailers these days, WalMart, Sears, and Ebay which is pretty much a pure Market place, though they sell a few items now, mostly shipping items for eBay sellers.

The hover board is clearly a Market place sale. Forbes on Amazon's marketplace liability (you may have to "continue to site";
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2015/07/23/is-amazon-liable-for-ip-violations-by-its-marketplace-vendors/#280353e66b8d

Likely Amazon notifies you that they are putting you and another seller in contact. and that they have no or limited liability in one of those disclaimers we are so quick to dismiss.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.