Where does the temp sensor go?

Old Guy
Old Guy Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
I purchased a remote temp sensor for my Morningstar TS60 and the manual really does not say WHERE it goes or I missed it three times.

It has a battery lug type connector on the end.  Does that actually attach to the battery or is this just for mounting it inside the battery box?
If it goes on the battery, does it go on the pos or neg terminal?  

th.jpeg 14.1K

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Put the sensor on a positive terminal. That will best reflect the true battery temperature as it heats up while charging.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Old Guy
    So its actually just a heat sensor and not a electrical connection?  
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    "So its actually just a heat sensor and not a electrical connection? " Yep..some prefer to tape it on the side of the battery about half way down
  • Old Guy
    Thank you guys again...  The lug terminal threw me off.   :)
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #6
    Old Guy said:
    Thank you guys again...  The lug terminal threw me off.   :)
    The terminal may prove handy if you are able to screw the terminal unto a positive battery terminal. If not, it gives something for the tape to go over.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Two schools of thought from lead acid battery design engineers whom I have spoken with:
    - "Connecting to the terminal gives the sensor a thermal pipeline into the battery interior"
    - "Sandwiched between batteries insulates the sensor from the ambient and sees the lag from all of that mass"

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Ako
    Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited April 2017 #8
    Rolls Batteries manual say NOT to attach it to any terminal but to tape it half way down a battery in the centre of the bank which is what i did and i have found the reading on the ts-60 to matched the reading of the fluid with a thermometer precisely . The RTS having a terminal connector looks to indicate it should be attached to a terminal however there might be other reasons for that , dont think its conclusive .
    2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
    Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
    24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
    LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
    Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
    DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Some folks will take a block of Styrofoam, make a hollow spot for the sensor, and tape/glue/jam between batteries/battery box to side of battery. The Styrofoam will ensure that the sensor is measuring battery temperature and not ambient air temperature.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ako
    Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Great idea , will do that tomorrow , might not make much difference on my system now but its sure to in the winter .
    2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
    Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
    24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
    LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
    Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
    DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )