Disconnect order

Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
I just finished making my bat box with ventilation....so had to change the wiring somewhat.  A new item I put in was a disconnect switch that can simultaneously disconnect both feed from the panel to the CC, and feed from the CC to the batteries.  I didn't "throw the switch" yet as I started to wonder if that can do damage to the CC somehow.

Thanks, Chris

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    as a habit I like to shut off the PV input to the CC first, then the CB to the battery. , Reason is most CC's like to be powered up before the PV is connected as they will not run on panel output, just the battery output.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, always battery first, wait for startup sequence, then solar. Disconnect in reverse order.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Chris11
    Thanks for your replies.

Yep....I understand that.  But will simultaneously disconnecting/reconnecting both hurt anything,  I'm chomping at the bit to turn it on....although here in Eastern WA we haven't seen the sun for a month.  Feels like Seattle which likes to pretend it's on the coast when in reality it ain't....it just rains so much there that water is everywhere.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would not recommend both simultaneously as the solar open circuit voltage could be much higher than the battery voltage and could potentially damage your controller.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breakers are cheap. Charge controllers aren't. Strongly recommend you nix the 2 pole and just buy 2 single pole.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    If that is a double pole breaker and not a switch as you stated, you can simply drill out the pin bonding the 2 breakers and have 2 single pole breakers. Hope you do have breakers or fuses in your system though.
  • Chris11
    Thanks all.   Last night I emailed Morningstar for the their answer.  Just as you all suggested...they also suggested NOT to simultaneously disconnect both sides of the CC.  

It is a double pole double throw switch, not a breaker.  I was just using one throw but both poles.  I'll now put another switch into the CC to bat. line.  And yes I have a fuse in each segment of wire.

Again, thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

Chris