Damaged Panel - Help!!!

My girlfriend has a solar panel that she uses for lighting and to run a radio, charge her phone.

She lent it to a friend to use to part recharge the batteries he was using for a 12volt powered sound system in his mobile cafe at an event.

Once she got it back she noticed some damage. The panel appears to work correctly but what I think is a layer of protective see-thru corrugated plastic has been rubbed/burnt/something through.

This happened a few months ago and the panel is outside in the weather.

I want to repair it but I'm not sure what to use to reseal it. Silicone? something else? I'm a bit worried about chemical compatibility with the PV and don't want to leave the elements getting in.

A very sketchy photo is at http://vegburner.co.uk/images2/solarpanel.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Damaged Panel - Help!!!

Ouch! I feel badly for the person good enough to lend it, only to get it back that way. It's my opinion that the guy who borrowed it should replace it, but I know that "ain't gonna happen".
  • Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32

That looks like a Uni-Solar amorphous panel.
    The manufacturer recommends filling the hole with neutral cure silicone sealant.
    That isn't going to help any burnt areas where light isn't getting through.

I also agree with Wayne from NS Cana that someone owes your gf a NEW panel.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The Mrs. says cheers for all the advice, we'll get some silicone.
    The damaged area is quite small compared to the panel size, hopefully we won't lose too much output....

Art how did you ID the panel from that dodgy pic? You obviously know far too much.....
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unisolar has the textured plastic - others are glass

Unisolar has the continuous PV element, others are discrete cells with solder connections.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32
    Art how did you ID the panel from that dodgy pic?
    This is how I know... (see pic) :D

Lucky it is Uni-Solar, as it has bypass diodes for every cell,
    and is able to function if any cell is shaded or destroyed.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Well kicking solar panels with your bare foot was not a smart thing to do.

But I don't see anything but a outward dimple on the panel above your scared foot. What is the story. How old are the panel(s) ?? I just got 7 Uni-solar ES-62T panels 2 months ago.