SOLAR help 6 volt (20X) NEEDED

Options
Hi guys,
I am the proud owner of a used battery bank of (20) six volt deep cycle batteries. Apparently they are in great shape and I am lucky to have them. I have taken them to my cabin on a remote Island off the coast of Vancouver Island. Where we are off the electric grid.
Q: What system would be best for me to trickle charge these batteries? Over the winter months ? during the summer months? I will eventually be installing a generator but I have been told trickle charging during my absence is the answer.
How about the generator? What charge is appropriate for 20 six volt batteries?
Help me please? What system? where to buy? how much? How do you mainatin these batteries? Series vs Parallel? etc

Thanks in advance

kevin

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: SOLAR help 6 volt (20X) NEEDED

Kevin,

We need a bit more information about your batteries and their intended configuration. Specifically, what's the brand and model number (i.e., Trojan T-105), and what nominal voltage do you plan to use (12 V? 24 V?)

The batteries may be in good shape if the've been well maintained. Otherwise, they may not be in particulalrly good shape.

Here are links to Trojan's on-line- and hard-copy guides to battery maintenance (including testing, charging, storage, etc.):

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx
    http://www.trojanbattery.com/ProductLiterature/pdf/DeepCycleMaintenance.pdf

Once we know more about the batteries and your intended use, we'll be able to help you find answers to your many questions.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

Welcome Kevin,

Your questioned can only be fully answered whe you provide more specific details on your batteries. ie

Make
    Model
    Type
    Capacity

This will allow more learned members to number crunch an answer for you.

Also you will have to decide what base voltage you intend to use for your off grid system, 20 x 6 volt batteries can be wired

2 in series to give 12 volts then paralled in 10 strings
    4 in series to give 24 volts then paralled in 5 strings
    8 in series to give 48 volts then paralled in 2 strings with 4 batteries left.

Most off grid battery based system equipment is geared to these 3 base voltages

Less strings are usually considered best practice.

You could also help us with giving a little idea of what you intended goal is with you island retreat with regards to what you expect to power with your system.

Trickle charging the batteries can be done by using renewable energy ie solar panels or wind or water turbine depending on what you have available , economics might make it sensible to visit one a month and charge them with a portable generator and battery charger, you will only know that.

But batteries are a fickle beast like humans each make and model has different needs likes and dislikes and until you name them and size them a generic answer like this is all we can do, looking forward to your reply youve come to the right place for expert advice.

HTH. Nigel (Scripted and posted during Jims post sorry for duplication)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i will 3rdly say more info is warranted for any specifics, but beyond that some things can be said about charging in general. most will agree that regular charging on most general lead acid batteries can accept a charge in the 5-13% range based on the ah rating of the battery. that may even go lower or higher depending on the battery type, its manufacturer, and some other factors like loads on during charging. increasing the series voltages will lessen the amount of current you'll need to charge them with as compared to charging all of them seperately.
    the maintenance charge should be handled by the pvs and a charge controller you wish to place at the cabin. though i've seen smaller figures on the trickle charge rate, i would allow for at least 1 amp of pv for every 100ah of battery capacity to be trickle charged to be on the safe side or a 1% rate of charge. rates as low as .1% have been know to be used too.
    knowing what you wish to power is important because you must plan things out. will you be using an inverter and will it be powering any motors or power tool battery pack chargers or other wall wart chargers? what's the highest all at once power usage you believe you'll be using in watts or ?amps at ?volts? will you be able to run items straight from the dc only or in addition to an inverter? will you be able to keep the power usage from the batteries so as to not deplete them below 50% and will you be able to supply that much charge power as to replenish what you've used in a day?
    again these are some generalities and that when specifics are known other questions may crop up. as it is now you must be sure of the battery condition of each of those batteries and if known to be good you must give them a charge sometime soon as batteries do lose some of their charge while sitting each month. this depends on the battery type and manufacturer, but a basic battery may have a typical loss per month of about 7% if memory serves correctly. older used batteries may be worse. other batteries may be rated better as agm style batteries do well on shelf life with as low as 1% per month from some concorde batteries.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi Guys ,
    Thanks for all your posts.
    My ultimate configuration is to run my generator during the day to operate woodworking tools (a welder) and 120Volt power tools.

My next thought was to have a 12V power supply available at nighttime (maybe with a converter) for lights when it is not convenient to run the 12.5KW generator.

I was thinking of installing RV appliances in my cabin??? and 12 V lights......can't think why I would need 120volt AC at night??

:....you must be sure of the battery condition of each of those batteries and if known to be good you must give them a charge sometime soon as batteries do lose some of their charge while sitting each month. this depends on the battery type and manufacturer, but a basic battery may have a typical loss per month of about 7% if memory serves correctly. older used batteries may be worse. other batteries may be rated better as agm style batteries do well on shelf life with as low as 1% per month from some concorde batteries. "

I took possession of these batteries in June 2007. They have been sitting in a plywood box ever since. I will trundle of to the island with my hygrometer in hand and a gasoline generator on the boat for the weekend (and then I will report back to this forum). Any advice? before I recharge these idle batteries? Should I hook them all up in series and then plug them all in to the generator at once? Any advice? I am really new to this.

Ps: the batteries were extremely well maintained by the local uitility company. They were six years old when the power substation switched them out. They are usually switched out after 30 years or so. I expect them to be in excellent condition . I will report back with brand names amp hours and give the forum more info later.

thanks

Kevin
  • System2
    Options

I would suggest you get a charge in them right away to prevent sulfation. Hopefully no serious sulfation has already occurred.
    Wayne
  • crewzer
    Options

Kevin,

Utility company batteries? They may be VRLA (sealed, low maintenance) batteries instead of flooded-cell batteries with removeable caps. If so, the hydrometer won't do you any good. You should also take a good voltmeter with you.

If you're shooting for a 12 V system, you'll need to wire up pairs of batteries in series [(+) of battery "A" to (-) of battery "B"; 6 V + 6 V = 12 V]. To use all 20 batteries, you'll need to connect them in parallel (the +'s of all pairs connected together, and the -'s of all pairs connected together). For the main connection to/from the battery bank, you'll need to connect the (+) cable to (+) terminal on battrery pair #10, and the (-) cable to the (-) terminal on battery pair #1.

The "Connections Diagram" shows how to do this with just four 6 V batteries: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/TechnologyLibrary.aspx

Ten battery pairs in parallel is apt to give you trouble of one kind or another. The "diagonal" connection scheme described above will help quite a bit as it will equalize voltage drops in the connections between the batteries. But, you'll need to use high quality battery cables.

Another solution would be arrange the batteries fairly close together (leave ~1/4" to 1/2" bettween them) and use a length of copper buss bar for to connect the (+)'s of all the battery pairs together, and then a second bar to connect the (-)'s.

Finally, note that while battery longevity can be improved in cool/cold climates, battery capacity also drops along with temperatue. So, you'll want to look a finding a way to protect the batteries from temperature extremes.

We'll look forward to your report back on the battery details. With that informatiom, we'll be able to offer some suggestions about chargers, inverters, etc.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like all you have is a 12v charger. Do 10 parallel strings of two batteries in series. Unless you have a really powerful charger it will take a long time to charge them with a 10 or 20 amp charger.

Before you do anything get a digital voltmeter you trust for accuracy and measure their unloaded voltage. The state of charge is as followed:

6.35 v = 100% specific gravity = 1.277
    6.30 v = 90% specific gravity = 1.258
    6.25 v = 80% specific gravity = 1.238
    6.19 v = 70% specific gravity = 1.217
    6.12 v = 60% specific gravity = 1.195

Below 80%, sitting for months, means sulfiding of plates has begun, meaning some capacity will not be recoverable on recharging.

If you don't know the battery Amp-Hr, tell us the size (length, width, and height) and we can give you an estimate of capacity.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a thought to the OP.

Since your cabin is already wired for 120vac, you will soon find that having 120vac off your battery bank is a great idea. While the idea of wiring a parallel 12vdc to power "night lights" seems like a good idea, and may indeed be a good idea for some applications,,with the size of your batteries, inverting to 120vac and then sending the high(er) voltage to the load makes much more sense than using 12vdc for a lot of application. It gives you the advantage of having lights 24/7 at the flip of a switch.

In addition, do everything you can to make all your loads as effecient as possible. If Propane is available, you will find it much easier to use L/p fridges rather than electric.

Have fun, I would like to score a set like that myself.

Icarus
  • System2
    Options
    EXIDE 160 Amp/h (Storage)

Hello Guys,
    The info is from my electrician friend. He says they are Wet-(Lead Acid) industrial storage batteries Exide (6v) @ 160 Amp/hrs
    I have searched the EXIDE website and they look most similar to the GNB brand, http://industrialenergy.exide.com/exidepdfs/GNB_Flooded_MCX.pdf
    He says they were a C-A9 ? or C-A7? or C9-A series but does that mean anything to anyone?
    The dimensions of each battery were approx 12" deep 8" wide and 14" long.
    Can anyone identify these batteries for me?

I need to know the specs so I can
    1) charge 'em up
    2) hook 'em up
    3) ultimately select a PV system

Any body familiar with this model from exide?

Kevin (real new to this)
  • System2
    Options

BTW: Cabin has NOT been built yet.... I hope to use the power from the batteries to run power tools next summer to build the cabin. Friend says the batteries will power my tools?? Is he right? I will wire the cabin for 120Vac because it makes sense.

Kevin
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

here is a listing for Exide CA 9 that seems close, may help

http://www.eps-stl.com/telecom%20ref%20chart.htm

How big will the cabin be? Dock access? How will you get a 12.5 Kw genset off the boat?Electrical amenities planned? How is the amount of solar incidence ( hrs of clear sunlight)?

Assumimg the 160Ah rating is correct, you will need 5% of their capacity to maintain them
    while sitting. Assuming you will arrange them in 12 v config. that will be 160Ah * 5%. or 8 amps per 12 v battery arrangement . therefore 10 batteries @ 12 v thus 80 amps of 12 v panels to maintain/ recharge. At about 7 amps per 12 v panel on average you are looking at a 10 or 11 panel array minimum.
    hope this helps get the juices flowing.

Eric

PS we are also building in an isolated location and went for rechargable hand tools to start with a small Honda 1000 genset to recharge if needed. Get a 3000w + genset if you plan on using a table saw, chop saw or similar tool. Most will draw 12 amps plus and that is a fair load on a modest solar charging system.... will flatten your batteries quite quickly.on a day of heavy construction.
    cheers

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • icarus
    Options

I agree with the previous poster. I too live on an remote island. My system is designed for living loads, not shop tool loads. The added additional expense relative to the benefits is a no brainer. My system is small. I use a Honda 1000eu to run the back up charger since it uses so little fuel and is so quiet. I have a 3kw generator for the shop and the tools. I also use a honda powered air compressor for the same reasons. I realize that having multiple gen-sets is an added expense, but it seems that there is no sense in running a 3kw gen-set when I can charge my batteries with the idleing 1000eu.

The most important factor in the design of an off grid system is using reduce demand first, and then sizing the system to fit that effeciency. In our small system we use ~20amp/hours/day, and have all the electricity we need. 150 watts of panel, 800amp/hours of battery.

Icarus
  • System2
    Options

Thanks Eric for the Link to the specs on the Exide (6V) CA-7 type Lead Acid batteries ttp://www.eps-stl.com/telecom%20ref%20chart.htm.

Thanks also for prompting me on the number of solar panels that I will need to maintain these units.

Are there any other posters with comments on a PV system?. Now that I know my charging need(s) to maintain all 20 (6V) batteries Q: where to buy? and how much? and what type of PV panels or array(s)? inverters?

Daylight hours? 49th Parallel (North) 123 Long. heavily treed lot. Roof mount? No theft isssues.

FYI: I have a small bulldozer on the property so, I thought I would stick with just the same type of fuel for the generator.....thus the 12.5KW diesel !!!t. It also happens to belong to someone who owes me a few bucks so it might come along at a reaonable price! Boat dock?...nah he owns a barge and we skid it up the beach with the cat!!
  • crewzer
    Options
    Daylight hours? 49th Parallel (North) 123 Long. heavily treed lot.
    Uh-oh... this may be a problem. Tress = shade, and shade and solar don't mix. Are you going to be able to locate the array so that it's in full Sun, with no shading, from at least 9 AM to 3 PM local time year 'round?

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    Options

Hi Jim (crewzer),
    Negative....to full sun. The trees are 100 feet tall and there are 2 solid acres of them. They are spaced 10 feet apart. I have never attended the lot during the winter solstice ie: Dec 21st but I can tell you it doesn't look very good!
    If I build 30 feet high how does that possibly even help me? What are the alternatives? I need to trickle charge these Exides 160 A/H somehow......any suggestions? Climb a tree?
  • westbranch
    Options

Kevin, are you situated right on the water? or is your lot set back 20 m or so?

If not chainsaws are very effective at improving the solar interception of PVs if they (PVs)cannot be placed in the sun.

Eric

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • niel
    Options

maybe not a tree, but a tv tower or telescoping mast may be able to get them up high enough in the clear to get enough sun. it may also help to cut a few of the closest sun blocking trees down. the pvs you get should have a high vmp for the voltage class. for example getting pvs with 17.6v vmp as opposed to 17.2v vmp(volts max power). this minorly helps for some of the smallest shade in some instances, but overall any shade is detrimental. a plus is that winter has no leaves on the trees unless evergreen type and snows could amplify the amount of light with a slight increase in power from the cold temps. do have a good winter tilt angle to accomodate the south facing sun for the wintertime usages as this allows for more efficient collection and allows to let snows slide off easier or melt quicker. do size your wire for the run length and current you will need by using the calculator in the sticky at the top of this section.
  • System2
    Options

Hi Eric (and others).
    Yes our lot is located on the ocean but faces due North. The 100' (evergreen) trees are 10 feet apart up to and including the waters edge. This is where I intend to build.
    There is a huge 150' douglas fir located next to the cabin which I won't bring down. Can I? Should I? Or is it even possible to build a panel on the south side of a huge tree.
    If not I will have to fall all the trees within 200 feet of the South side of the cabin which is highly possible and entirely probable. But what size panels should I be purchasing for my batteries? What kind and where from?

Kevin
    ps It gets windy here in the winter!
  • niel
    Options

though the trees are high i don't believe you'll need to take all of them down, but yes take some down even if only for the safety of you in the cabin as trees that big when they fall or catch fire would pose a danger to you and your property. having said that do realize that pvs hoisted up on a small tower or telescoping mast could possibly be enough to clear the shade of the trees. it is hard to judge your exacting circumstances from a pc. in addition a small wind generator rated for the battery system voltage could also work, but i have reservations on the wind genny only. that's because it is mechanical and many times more likely to fail and murphy says it'll happen in the dead of winter with nobody there. that wind genny may also need to be placed just as high or even higher than the pvs would need.
  • westbranch
    Options

well what you buy will be partially determined by what is available at your local PV dealer. Are you on the mainland or VanIsle?
    I would never attach to a live tree for a variety of reasons. Build a good concrete anchor for about a 10 inch diam steel pipe atop which you attach a frame that will hold your solar panel array. size dependant on the number of panels. main reason ... wind.
    I suspect that most of the trees are 'second growth', as almost all of the 'easy' ground was loggged up and down the coast, and if so should be pretty thrify and well rooted, that one big brute makes me wonder though, may have been left due to a defect at the time of the logging. have a reeal good look at it or have it assessed properly.
    Contact a LOCAL practicing FORESTER, not just a LOGGER, for an assessment of the impacts of removing some/all of the trees, vis a vis wind effects, they will have a large (huge) impact on what you remove/leave.
    Try to maintain your wind break on the waters edge, this can minimize the 'brunt of a storm' on your pole/panels.
    Not sure just where your cabin is but the west (wet) coast as you know gets ferocious winds and your pole/array must be able to stand up to them.

TTFN
    Eric

• System2
    Options

Hi Neil,
    yeah... wind generation sounds still a bit suspect to me because of all the moving mechanical parts.
    I know I will eventually clear enough trees to let the sun shine through the overhead tree canopy to illuminate the cabin and I will roof mount the panels........thats exactly what my neighbours have done but they only have 2 or 4 batteries to charge plus one works for a utility company and gets all his chargers for free!!.
    I need eleven panels!!!

Kevin
  • niel
    Options

on needing 11 pvs, if that is true and you can't accomodate that requirement, there's not alot i or you can do about that short of getting rid of some of the batteries. do you need that much battery capacity? i can't say it's 11 pvs as it would depend on what pvs you are refering to, but you do need so much current to charge so much in battery capacity and the same holds for trickle charging too, but is easier to do being less current is needed for this charge aspect. don't get me wrong that big battery banks are nice, but only if you have the ability to charge them. if you can't keep up with the charging needs you will have 20 possibly dead batteries and the task and cost of moving them all to be disposed of.
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

I agree with Neil, but when I first joined the forum and proudly shouted my 1.6 kw array with a massive 2100 ah 24v battery bank Neil was the first to deflate my ballon although gently about my lack of solar recharge capacity for my bank. around 3% against the reccomended minimum of 5 % Hope thats right :blush: This was a new statistic I hadnt encoutered and was a little peeved with my lack of knowledge. Neil Im not knocking you in fact Im applauding you for introducing me to this accepted fact. But I had a generator back up and an expensive XBM monitor which told me very accurately what level of discharge my batteries were at. I never let my batteries gobelow 90 % before I ran the generator and with an input of 100 amps from my SW3024E it would take a minimum of 2 hours to get my batteries back to full from 90% . I now let them go lower pending on the forecast for the following day. But still have never dropped below 80 % charged.

So i was able to look after my batteries on a daily basis. Im soon to increase my array to 2.4 kw in about 3 weeks now which will double my battery bank charging capacity taking my standing loads into account ! This will take me over 5%. but Ill still watch the XBM and switch on the genny accordingly. By next spring summer up to 4 kw.

Because your not going to be ther full time and thus be able to add gen power Neils comments are relavent, but also if your not there your loads are probably zero, so have a large battery bank as you wish that can be maintained with out loads by the correct level of PVs to start with when your not there ! Then burn some hydro carbons for your deficent when you are there. As time goes by with the beauty of PVs scaleabilty you can grow like Im doing and kick the noisey smelly unreliable internal combustion engine in the garbage ! (but with on onstandby in the basement :p )
  • niel
    Options

3% is doable in some cases, but is a slow charge and shouldn't have any other loads on it. if he just wants a trickle he could get away with about a 1% charge rate. 1% with 20 batteries will depend on the battery configuration voltage, but will also up his pv voltage requirements. assuming a minimum of 12v operation would mean a 10x2 system of batteries. i don't remember if we agreed on the ah rating he's got, but i'll assume 220ah as that is standard for some. 10x220=2200ah total capacity. 2200ahx.01=22amps and is not 11 pvs unless very low capacity pvs are used. 3-4 kc130s will give that and to make or exceed 3% for charging would be 10 pvs with 11 being better. as said he is in a cabin and i don't know if he'd need to charge them in the winter (unless he's running loads) and he's not there so the 3-4 kc130s work. a generator will work in the summer and the pvs offset the discharge to the next genny run or can be used to staop the genny operations and allow the pvs to top off the batteries.
    as said the only alternative is to lessen the number of batteries to lessen the charge required. no matter what he has in the numbers of batteries, he shouldn't deplete them past 50% and he has to be able to bring them back up to full charge and a generator must supply 10 or 13% (unless the battery manufacturer says it can go higher) for the bulk charge and that would mean 220amps to 286amps at 12vdc. if going a minimum of 3% and no loads for charging that example battery bank would be about 66amps and far more time to charge the batteries up as this rate is about 17 hours or more based on 50% of the charge depleted. can you run the genny that long with that much charging current for 12vdc? this is well over 2kw having to be delivered to the charger by that genny. (or pvs?)
    i guess you can see why i'm asking if you can unload some of your batteries and still power what you need to. it is expensive for a cabin and quite a bit of battery power for such as well. did you ever evaluate what your load requirements would be during the occupational time in the cabin?
  • System2
    Options

Hi Neil and nigtomdaw,
    I am learning lots ...keep it up. My batteries were given to me as an existing bank of used batteries. They are 160 a/h .
    If I follow along correctly....10@160a/h = 1600a/h = 16 amps. which equals 3or 4 PV panels (to recharge them all at 1%).
    Q: If I hook them up in parallel. That would give me a 120Vdc system and how would that affect my PV size? and charge rates?. Could you explain that to me?
    I have no problem giving some batteries to my current neighbours (no pun intended) but before I become an Exide giver what is the advantage? or disadvantage? of hooking them ALL up in a 120Vdc array instead of 12Vdc strings?
  • System2
    Options

nigtomdaw
    "so have a large battery that can be maintained with out loads by the correct level of PVs to start with when your not there ! Then burn some hydro carbons for your deficent when you are there."
    This is exactly what I am shooting for. So, if I understand that a kc 130 is a kyocera brand PV. Q: how are PVC panels rated? By amps? By watts? or by Volts? I need to know.
    XBM monitor? how much?
  • icarus
    Options

No offense intended but I think that you should do a bit more reading up on solar system and thier installations. You run into the trap that many of us have, that is Ready, Fire, Aim!

For a variety of technical reasons most battery banks run in multiples of 12vdc, ie 12,24, or 48 volts. I have never heard of a bank running at a higher DC voltage. There are few devices that can run on 120vdc. By contrast there is lots of equipment for 12vdc multiples, inverters, chargers etc.

As to panels, the are sized based on watts. In short, larger panel, more watts, more net power for use, either load or charge. The number of panels relative to battery size is irrelevant, but what is important is the amp capacity factored in with average insolation.

It will pay you big dividends if you avoid the ready, fire, aim. Understand how stuff works, and the interrelationships between the components. You have a battery bank to start with. Now work in the expected loads, the average insolation and figure out what hardware you need to make it happen.

Icarus
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Above 50V, you graduate from low voltage, to "shocking" voltage. That's where most codes flip from "Not too concerned" to "We have to babysit you now" Where codes worry, the insurance companys worry.

I don't think you will find too much in the way of chargers for 120V battery banks.

I've heard of some talk about 72V dc systems, but I'm sure that's way off.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    Options

slow down here. before i get into it here pvs are rating in watts (several varieties, but here we'll just deal with stc or standard test conditions), volts max power(vmp), and amps max power(imp). some of these do vary as to their terms like vpm instead of vmp and is basically the same. for simplicity know that watts stc= volts max power x amps max power.

ok on the 160ah (amphours). now looking back i see that your batteries are indeed 6v each and should have 3 water caps. to get 12v you need 2 in series. to get 24v you need 4 in series. the current will stay the same on the seriesed batteries as what just 1 would be rated at until you start putting them in parallel.

now i have no idea what you would run with a 120vdc battery bank.

now back to the kc130s applied to charging a 160ah 12v battery bank. a 1% trickle would be 1.6amps needed. the 3% mark is 4.8amps needed. so that is a maintenance charge for over winter at 1% and a 12v pv will have typical operating voltages at around 17.0-17.6v and are good for charging a 12v battery bank through a charge controller. the 3% is the absolute minimum we recommend to charge without and loads connected to the batteries at the time of charge and this will take conciderably more time to reach full charge. that 3% is 3 times the current capacity as needed by the 1% trickle. keep in mind that this is 2 of your batteries in series. we would now need to parallel more series sets with at total of 10 for 1600ah for a 2x10 battery bank and the 1% is now 16amps and the 3% is now 48amps.

now for regular charging rates this goes between the rates of 5%-13% and possibly more if the manufacturer says you can without harming the batteries lifespan. naturally the higher charge rate will charge the batteries quicker, but too high of a charge rate can fry your batteries of their electrolyte so water levels do need to be watched and maintained more often with adding only distilled water when low. too high can also be more expensive as in more pvs used. now i recommend that once you settle on a battery voltage for your system that you will have to match the pvs to the batteries as we discussed already. there are other losses that do occur and we'll just call them all charge efficiency losses and round that to another 20% capacity needed. other factors do figure in this, but you will need to read up more as I'm giving you quite a bit here as it is.

now the 2x10 battery bank will need at the trickle rate of 16ampsx1.2=19.2amps. 3 kc130 pvs in parallel will yield over 21amps so this will work fine for that rate and being it is a 12v pv configuration charging a 12v battery bank no pvs in series will be needed. if you change the battery voltage higher you will need pvs in series, but half as much capacity needed in parallel. you can't cut 3 in half so 4 other pvs of lesser current at 12v would be in order here.

for the minimal charge rate of 3% rate for 48ampsx1.2=57.6amps and divide that by the 7.39amps of the kc130 means you need 8 of them at that rate. for better charging rates you see how things go upward and i hope you got the trend of what i was doing. i'm sorry for the book, but once in a great while envelopes, i windup doing this as i hope it lets others see too. i also hope this hasn't confused you any as i'm very tired at this point due to health problems at this time. do note that once you have the proper voltage on the pv that you can address the current. some like to do everything in watts, i think it gets more confusing that way.
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Please look at my original post on this thread and first decide on your base voltage. If you are going down the inverter charger route then before we get to choosing panels..... first chose your operating base voltage.

My reccomendation taking your free batteries in to account would be for a 48 volt system. That would give you 2 strings of 8 batteries. The 4 left over could be taken home and charged periodically and act as spares. It is generally accepted that fewer strings lead to fewer problems. The other two significant aspect of going with 48v is...
    A. That any suitable charge controller you buy will be able to handle twice as many PV panels as a 24 volt system and 4 times a 12 volt system. Getting away with one MPPT charge controller rather than needing 2 saves you $500
    B. A considerable saving of cost on wiring the DC side of the system due to thinner wire been able tobe used and still within safety specs.

But I agree with other post on here about doing some self help with reading up on the basics, a good starting point is a subscription to Homepower.com or the basic tech guides provided by this forums owner NAWS(basic as to introduction to RE rather than content)
    Your going to be spending a lot of $ and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing , Once youve made some basic choices come back and run them past the experts on here to see how youve done.

You can always pass exams without study when someone gives you the answers , but you still know nothing !:p