Problem with Solar Generator

Options
124»

Comments

• lc0338
    lc0338 Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options
    I was able to speak with xantrex support. I have asked them to see if there is a work-around but currently if the xantrex looses power and then power is resumed you have to go into the control panel and re-enable the inverter before it will work. They make a remote panel but like all their other equipment has to be mounted inside away from elements. what a bummer. don't make an easy way to access and turn on/off inverter from elements side of cabinet.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My XW6048 is like that, it has a "standby" switch on it, but if it looses power, it looses all programming.   With the Combox, I can run 1 script to "save" the current values to a flash drive, and another scrip to restore the values from flash to Inverter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• lc0338
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    My XW6048 is like that, it has a "standby" switch on it, but if it looses power, it looses all programming.   With the Combox, I can run 1 script to "save" the current values to a flash drive, and another scrip to restore the values from flash to Inverter.
    Apparently xantrex engineers live and work in a perfect world... never a power loss... Why is it always after the fact (made purchase) that you find out all these not so wonderful weaknesses of equipment. At least i gave xantrex support an ear full that samlex inverter at least could be easily turned on/off which you would think would be high up on priorities for a feature.
  • lc0338
    Options
    just a comment for others needing some insulation ideas. I found some discharge hose that I will use to put over the straps holding the batteries down.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It actually is a good thing for an XW to do this. If there is a power glitch or lightning or ?,  you want to be able to remove DC power, shut down the system for 5 minutes and reset to the default settings. Most decent equipment does this BTW, certainly Outback does.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• lc0338
    edited September 2016 #97
    Options
    It actually is a good thing for an XW to do this. If there is a power glitch or lightning or ?,  you want to be able to remove DC power, shut down the system for 5 minutes and reset to the default settings. Most decent equipment does this BTW, certainly Outback does.
    Not sure what you are saying is a good thing. In my application I have an aluminum cabinet with batteries and inverter inside. I had the inverter wired to an battery disconnect switch and could turn on/off the inverter from outside the cabinet (without opening any doors). With the new inverter charger 3024 I cannot do this. That was my only complaint. Xantrex equipment is made for indoor use only which is OK but the control panel is also indoor use only. You would think they would at least make a panel which could be mounted onto a cabinet wall to turn on/off the inverter from the outside (which would be element proof).
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I am saying it is a good thing that when you power it down it resets to the default firmware and not the programmed.
    You are right it is made for NEMA 1 and not weather tight. You can, and I have built a NEMA 3 weather tight enclosure for this gear.
    You are not talking about the Schneider XW or SW series which do have a disconnect in their distribution panel?

What are you talking about BTW? Which model please. It sounds like you might be an SW but did not buy the distribution box?

• lc0338
    Options
    I am saying it is a good thing that when you power it down it resets to the default firmware and not the programmed.
    You are right it is made for NEMA 1 and not weather tight. You can, and I have built a NEMA 3 weather tight enclosure for this gear.
    You are not talking about the Schneider XW or SW series which do have a disconnect in their distribution panel?

What are you talking about BTW? Which model please. It sounds like you might be an SW but did not buy the distribution box?
    I ordered:
    Freedom SW Xanbus System Control Panel (SCP) 809-0921
    Xantrex Freedom SW3024 Inverter Charger - 3000W - 24V
    Xantrex 25' Network Cable for SCP Remote Panel

My previous inverter was a samlex 2000 and it was wired to a battery disconnect switch which was mounted on the wall of the cabinet so the outside was exposed to weather. When I needed power from the solar generator I could turn on the disconnect switch and the inverter came on. The solar generator is sometimes loaded onto the back of my truck so I can reach the disconnect switch from the ground.
    I spoke with xantrex support but they did not give me any help with a work around. Thought someone on this forum may have an idea. I can still use the disconnect switch but would have to access the control panel (inside the cabinet) then reprogram it every time I need to use the generator.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    The XW and SW being sold now have a remote power down connector that is a switch that goes outside to allow fire personel to shut down the system.
    I do not know if the Freedom series does this as it is more of a Marine application. 

• lc0338
    Options
    Well, have the solar generator back in business. Was monitoring via the bogart 2025 rv monitor and max voltage I have seen is 28.9. The 250-6 full river batteries bulk and absorb voltage recommendation is 29.4 and float at 27.2
    I left the panels wired as is which is parallel.
    Since my panels rated voltage (Vmpp) is 30.9 I suspect I might have to connect the panels in series to get a higher voltage? Do you think this is correct? In previous posts there was some disagreement if series was really needed.