Inverter toast ?

Options
GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Inverter says Inlet voltage hi.   Reset and now will only give 30 volts.   

Let it cool down and try again ??

May need to get new inverter, anyone selling a used one ??

Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tel us about your current inverter model and input voltage.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• GreenPowerManiac
    Options
    12v.   2500/4500 watt. Top Sales Depot sells them.  I believe Coleman made them.  Had a smooth white metal box and digital display on front.   A place to hard wire to also.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might be a good time to 'reorganize' your system to a higher voltage. Can you configure your battery bank for 24 volts, with out adding or losing batteries? Will your charge controller charge at 24 volts? 2500watts is larger than I would want to run on a 12 volt battery bank.

If you must replace the inverter, you might look at Xantrex pure sine inverters. They make a couple inexpensive pure sine ones in the $275-450 range that are 1800 or 2000 watt.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options
    OK on inverters.   The diversion controller messed up and diverted all power to a few heating elements and fried the wires on that, resulting in "Inlet High voltage" cuttout.  Roasted a few capacitors which I hope to replace.   My 2nd inverter went down with a fried circuit that controls the cooling fans and was running 80 volts this morning with a hissing sound.   Both are taken apart for fixing.  

Cuttout on the voltage is 15.5v  and the pot was reading .5- 1 volt over what BB was reading.   If I can get that working again, will adjust pot.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options
    Anyone know where I can get circuitry in this country ?   
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    octopart.com is a good resource to see who stocks what.

This is why I dislike diversion controllers / loads.   The loads never seem to be rugged enough, and when the load goes, everything else frys.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• GreenPowerManiac
    edited September 2016 #9
    Options
    Transistor 2sc3205 To-92L

Says on part C3205 YK722    3 pins, top is D shaped black.

Having trouble trying to find an equivalent

Going to buy Xantrex Xpower 3000 & 1500 inverters @ Hodges Marine dot com  $457 OTD.  Unless there's a better deal on both elsewhere ???
  • Photowhit
    Options
    I can't tell what you're buying, unless you are buying 2 inverters. We usually we describe inverters by their name or max continuous wattage and input voltage.

If you are considering buying a 3000 watt / 12 volt inverter. I would seriously suggest considering a higher system voltage!

There is a Xantrex - Prowatt 2000 (really an 1800 watt inverter) pure sine wave for $330 + shipping (find a amazon Prime member and it's free)

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-PROWatt-Inverter-Model-806-1220/dp/B002LGEMOQ

The Xantrex 1800watt/12volt Freedom is a Pure Sine, hard wireable (rated for marine/auto not homes) and has a built in charger if you have a generator for $443

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Freedom-806-1840-Inverter-Charger/dp/B00DA0CXUC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SBB395PZFJ3ER7NHHCH4

There is also the XM1800, which might be a Prowatt in a more current version, for $330, Says it's designed to be hard wired.

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-XM1800-Pro-Series-Inverter/dp/B002IZDNL8/ref=pd_sbs_263_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3TDHM8PGWJAM8AS71Y88

All of these are True sine wave, the one you are looking at is a Modified Sine wave.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi G P M,

If that part is an 2SC3205,  then,  almost certainly the YK722 is the Date Code,  plus the source supplier.

TO92 transistors DO have one flat side.

Quick search for gross specs:
    http://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=14292

It is quite possible that if you replaced this transistor,  your quest for a complete repair will just be beginning ...

FWIW,  Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016 #12
    Options
    Ebay
    2 from china, one from united kingdom

• GreenPowerManiac
    Options
    Xantrex is impossible for my setup.  It needs a manual on/off actual switch.  I re-wire it to a relay which triggers my ATS.

Am looking at the SunForce 2500w, which looks similar to the ones I've got as far as hard wiring and manual switch.

Guess there's no choice but to order from china.    Everything else leads to dead end and no purchase.  It's a shame to throw away $900 inverter because of a few .50 cent circuits.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    All 3 that I provided links to have on off switches...

Not sure why you would want a Modified sine wave with pure sine waves in the same price range.

BTW - even your Xpower has a manual on/off switch.

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Xantrex-Xpower-3000-Inverter-Gfci-Remote-On-Off-p/xan813-3000-ul.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwgdS-BRDA7fT68f6s8zMSJADZwHmvecuWhjyj9Zu-s09BGIqUplIl1HAF5nAV6DduTMmV-BoCU_Hw_wcB&ppcstrkid=1565162769&click=19&ppcsclkid=Ls0BjcojxG3i&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqeniramsegdoh
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options
    The digital switch can't be removed without damage to housing.  The manual can be taken out since I need two wires to setup the relay switch control.
    One Inverter controls the house, the other, the chicken coop.   No fancy DirecTV in there......
  • Photowhit
    Options
    I'm not trying to make you buy anything, but you didn't read the links;

"Available ON/OFF remote switch "

"...and a detachable digital remote control panel ..."

"...a detachable, digital remote control ..."

Good Luck...lol

• GreenPowerManiac
    edited September 2016 #17
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can't use any of that.

I've already got the relays setup to my old system and it's easier to transfer the system to new inverters.  

Bought a 2500w Sunforce and a 1000w  PSW inverters today.   They seem very similar to ones I've got.   Ordered parts for the two old systems and will wait for that to repair.  The old systems cost me $1000 each, and I'm going to try and diagnose/repair them if possible.  
    The diversion loads are fixed and working now.   The wiring to that couldn't take more than 15 amps without frying the wires off of the heating elements.....