Hydrocaps

Options
BEFUDDLED
BEFUDDLED Registered Users Posts: 8
Does anyone have any experience with hydrocaps used to replace the regular caps on batteries? It sounds like a good idea, but at $8-$9 per cap this will be expensive and the cost/benefit may not be worthwhile.

Thanks to all.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hydrocaps

Hydro caps work but are a PITA! They must be removed for equalizing or they can over heat and melt, the catalyst (palladium?) wears out over time. I think I've heard around 3 years, I didn't have mine that long.

I use water miser caps, nearly as expensive around $3.50 - 6+ shipping, it use to be a PITA to order them as they do not accept credit cards on their website, but now they sell through eBay and you can use a CC via PayPal. These don't have a catalyst but a bunch of balls allowing for the water vapor to recombine and drop back into the cell.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    ......These don't have a catalyst but a bunch of balls allowing for the water vapor to recombine and drop back into the cell.

re water miser caps: (not hydro caps which have a catalyst in them) -edit

Nope, the little plastic pellets trap the acid mist and let it drip back into the cell. That's not plain water in the caps.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Nope, the little plastic pellets trap the acid mist and let it drip back into the cell. That's not plain water in the caps.
    And in Mike's case, they would trap the alkaline mist. :)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »

I'm not a chemist, don't pretend to be one, I thought that hydrocaps contained a catalyst to promoting the combining of hydrogen and oxygen and may even help with sulfur dioxide in recombining and dropping back into the cell as water or acid. With watermiser (no catalyst) they only promotion to recombining is the great surface area allowing for more area and time for oxygen and hydrogen to recombine and no chance for the sulfur dioxide. This maybe a misconception on my part, but perhaps you have read more on the subject?

FWIW - It is mostly just hydrogen and oxygen with perhaps traces of sulfur dioxide, maybe splashes of acid when the battery is boiling.

I do know that hydrocaps must be removed for equalizing, as the catalyst heats up, at least the plastic type, I have seen what seam to be ceramic caps of some type that, may or may not contain a catalyst, on industrial batteries and in a post calling them hydrocaps. Many of us use a charge controller's automatic equalizing to help maintain the battery health, this would not work with hydrocaps, but does work with water miser.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I'm not a chemist, don't pretend to be one, I thought that hydrocaps contained a catalyst to promoting the combining of hydrogen and oxygen and may even help with sulfur dioxide in recombining and dropping back into the cell as water or acid. With watermiser (no catalyst) they only promotion to recombining is the great surface area allowing for more area and time for oxygen and hydrogen to recombine and no chance for the sulfur dioxide. This maybe a misconception on my part, but perhaps you have read more on the subject?

I do know that hydrocaps must be removed for equalizing, as the catalyst heats up, at least the plastic type, I have seen what seam to be ceramic caps of some type that, may or may not contain a catalyst, on industrial batteries and in a post calling them hydrocaps.

Close remembering of your chemistry, but no cigar.

Hydrogen and oxygen gas, which is what comes up inside the bubbles, will not recombine at atmospheric pressure without either flame or the help of a catalyst. No matter how much non-catalyst area is available. :)

The ones with just the plastic pellets will allow the bubbles to pop and the electrolyte which is the wall of the bubble, and any electrolyte mist which comes from popped bubbles to condense and drip back in before it passes beyond the vent opening and is lost or condenses on the top of the battery. :(
    You are correct that the catalyst caps, whatever material they are made of, need to be removed when the battery is gassing heavily, as during an equalization cycle.

AGM batteries can let the H2 and 02 recombine under higher than atmospheric pressure and may also contain a catalyst to help it along.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    The ones with just the plastic pellets will allow the bubbles to pop and the electrolyte which is the wall of the bubble, and any electrolyte mist which comes from popped bubbles to condense and drip back in before it passes beyond the vent opening and is lost or condenses on the top of the battery.

I wouldn't use "condense" to describe the mist being deposited on the plastic balls or the top of the battery. "Condense" implies a phase change.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Hydrocap1
    Hydrocap1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    inetdog, Is correct in two points.

"Hydrogen and oxygen gas, which is what comes up inside the bubbles, will not recombine at atmospheric pressure without either flame or the help of a catalyst. No matter how much non-catalyst area is available. "
    Fact:
    Hydrocaps uses a catalyst that never gets consumed. It only allows for the recombination of the Oxygen and Hydrogen molecules,
    which makes pure water and returns it to the batteries

"You are correct that the catalyst caps, whatever material they are made of, need to be removed when the battery is gassing heavily, as during an equalization cycle."
    Fact:
    Hydrocaps should be removed if Equalization used is in excess of 6 amps for extended periods of time.
    Equalization will shorten the life of a Battery not Prolong or extend it, and we never recommend this.

Mark
    Hydrocap Corp.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mark, if your is never consumed why did my Hydrocaps stop working after 3-4 years?  One, two, a couple more, then all 24 quit working within 12 months.  But they do make a handy big grip battery cap after that.

Ralph
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Hydrocap1 said:

Equalization will shorten the life of a Battery not Prolong or extend it, and we never recommend this.
    This is bad information, with no reasoning, equalizing will keep batteries from stratifying, important in large case batteries. It will also help recombine hardened sulfites on the plates, and/or get them to fall off exposing plate material. When the specific gravity of one cell is less than the others a battery will assume much of the characteristics of the single cell, including lower capacity. 

Of major battery manufacturers, only Deka recommends not equalizing unless there is an imbalance between cells. Trojans says one thing in some of their literature, but conflicts it in others and in instructional videos.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the inconsistant info on batteries is self serving to the manufacturer who wants another battery sale after warranty.
    They all seem to do this at one time or another BTW.  
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    >  equalizing will keep batteries from stratifying, important in large case batteries.

Well, I think the daily absorb does/supposed to do this, and EQ is sort of a fail safe,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Surrette explained this well at one time. There is preventative EQ and corrective EQ. One does preventative to not get to corrective EQ which is a pain in the ass!
     I do not have time for it and if one of my clients gets that bad I throw my hands up and have the big white van come do a battery exchange,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,466 admin
    Options
    Here are Hydrocap's life/usage details:
    The life expectancy of a Hydrocap Vent is more than 5 years with overcharge rtes below 3 amperes for 2 hours each day. Other rates can be calculated from the minimum expected life of 10,000 Ampere-Hours of over charge current.
    http://www.hydrocapcorp.com/picts/installing.jpg

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Bill, I remember seeing this long ago, the part where the arrow is, and thinking why would someone use these if they got that hot.
    Just to save 5 gallons of water?  Right.....