Buy your propane during the summer....before September.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 500 and a 1000 gallon propane tank. Why? Bit of a prepper I guess, Be Prepared....Boy Scout Motto

I can still get my tank filled for $1/gallon until September. That is a fraction of what I paid during peak season after buying the new tank.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Blindowl1234
    Blindowl1234 Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Switched suppliers here this summer. Previous supplier was $2.82 last year. They've always been high. New supplier 95 cents summer rate. We filled and we locked in $1.89 rate until March 2017. We use their tanks too...so far.
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Here in SE Indiana you can buy propane for $.879/gal, but you have to own your own tanks.  I call seven local suppliers and take the lowest quote.

I watch the commodity price of propane in the WSJ and it has consistently stayed around $.45/gal most of the summer.  I use that as my guide to negotiate pricing with suppliers.......yes price is negotiable.....just ask for the manager and know what price they are paying on the wholesale market.  Most seem satisfied with a 100% markup which is needed to cover delivery and overhead costs in their business and still produce a profit.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • softdown
    Valid points.....one can expect to pay another ~.20/gallon in the mountains I think.

I seem to remember paying some rather princely propane prices when gasoline hovered around $4/gallon. I like to keep my tanks semi-full in case those days return.

Only needing ~300 gallons...they are not impressed. It was a different story when I ordered 1000 gallons.

At any rate...the prices are highest during peak demand...winter time.

Used propane tank prices have gone up. That often indicates increased demand.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Blindowl1234
    Blindowl1234 Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
    DanS26 said:
    Here in SE Indiana you can buy propane for $.879/gal, but you have to own your own tanks.  I call seven local suppliers and take the lowest quote.

I watch the commodity price of propane in the WSJ and it has consistently stayed around $.45/gal most of the summer.  I use that as my guide to negotiate pricing with suppliers.......yes price is negotiable.....just ask for the manager and know what price they are paying on the wholesale market.  Most seem satisfied with a 100% markup which is needed to cover delivery and overhead costs in their business and still produce a profit.
    We had Lykins for a few years here in S.W Ohio and switched to Ferrell this year. Ferrell had a much better price. Thought about my own tanks but they still get you on the delivery price. Would be great if I owned a fork lift and could get them filled and bring them home lol. Might be kind of heavy though.
  • DanS26
    DanS26 said:

We had Lykins for a few years here in S.W Ohio and switched to Ferrell this year. Ferrell had a much better price. Thought about my own tanks but they still get you on the delivery price. Would be great if I owned a fork lift and could get them filled and bring them home lol. Might be kind of heavy though.

I've purchased from Ferrell.  If you own your own tanks there is no delivery charge....at least in this district.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • softdown
    I have a forklift. The thought of delivering the propane tank makes me a bit uncomfortable.

They do not allow filled propane tanks to be trucked/trailered around.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
     > Most seem satisfied with a 100% markup

I would think that their costs are much more of a fixed cost than a percentage.   As propane prices go back up, I would expect their percentage to drop.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• softdown
    jonr said:
     > Most seem satisfied with a 100% markup

I would think that their costs are much more of a fixed cost than a percentage.   As propane prices go back up, I would expect their percentage to drop.
    I'm sure you are right. They would pretty much try to discontinue summer service if wintertime service truly paid ~twice as much.
  • DanS26
    You don't have to follow the WSJ.  You can see wholesale propane pricing here for just about anywhere in the USA. Note data is only available during heating season.

Here is Indiana:
    http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=W_EPLLPA_PWR_SIN_DPG&f=W

Find your state or region here (click "View History"):
    http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPLLPA_PWR_dpgal_w.htm

• softdown
    That was a huge spike in Feb 2014....wonder what happened.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Like the OP I just filled up my 1000 and 500, but geez, I
    I thought I was doing good to get  1.18 in Georgia.  did not see Ga. wholesale in the link.
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Just filled-up SW of Atlanta at $1.19 gallon. Just saying.

Paul 
    in Georgia
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k