should i add another string of batteries

ldiorio
ldiorio Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
i am running a 48v system with a magnum 240v inverter and  3060 watts of Panels(12) and 8 DC400-6 fullriver batteries (415AH)
am ranging from 6.2KWH to 11.5 KWH over the past few months 

am running a well pump,boiler,freezer, 2 refrig, dehumidifier and some misc lights. i set the level of discharge to 25%

what i am finding is that the batteries get fully charged at about noon time--ihave consdidered a dump load for water heating--but am thing ing i should add --the existing batteries are 2 years old another string of batteries for add'l capacity 

looking for some opinions and suggestions
lou

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    What are you trying to accomplish?   Does the system meet your needs?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ldiorio
    would like to add capacity for days of no sun
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ldiorio said:
    Your new batteries will very rapidly age to match the old batteries.  
    Also, you will need more solar panels... What you have now will result in a 5% charge rate if you add another string of batteries.  After 3 or 4 days of no sun, you will need more than 5% if you are ever to get them charged up again.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ldiorio
    tks vtmaps for the advice-i can wire and install anything -but have a problem- putting my arms around all the caculations and formulas---need someone to set me straight before i make a wrong move
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited August 2016 #6
    We typically run with 1-3 days of storage, with 50% maximum discharge (under normal usage) for longer battery life. For various reasons, with Lead Acid batteries, 2 days of storage and 50% maximum discharge usually works out as an "optimum choice".

So a 415 AH @ 48 volt battery bank would be optimum for cloudy day / overnight discharge of:
    • 415 AH * 48 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/2 days of storage * 0.50 maximum discharge = 4,233 Watt*Hours (storage per day)
    Now--If a lot of your energy us used during the day (i.e., supplied directly by the solar panels)--And you can cut back to much less usage during bad weather--Then you may be OK with what you have. If you really want to use 8.4 kWH per day even during bad weather, and you want 2 days of storage--Then you could double the string.

Charging wise, we suggest 5% to 13% rate of charge, with 10% or more if you are full time off grid. You can go higher rate of charge (especially with AGM, but you tend to fill up the bank pretty quickly--And should use remote battery temperature sensor to help prevent battery over heating, especially if >13% rate of charge).

If you double the battery bank to 830 AH @ 48 volts with a 5% to 13% rate of charge from solar panels:
    • 830 AH * 59 volt charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 3,180 Watt array minimum
    • 830 AH * 59 volt charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 6,360 Watt array nominal
    • 830 AH * 59 volt charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 8,268 Watt array "cost effective" maximum
    And then there is your energy usage and hours of sun per day (by season). Guessing at:
    http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html
    \Your November through January sun is not great--So, if you wanted to (in average weather) to size the array for "break even" month of December, and wanted 8.4 kWH per day:

North Providence Rhode Island
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 48° angle from Vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

If you want 8.4 kWH in deep winter:
    • 8,400 WH per day * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/2.98 hours of sun per day (ave December) = 5,421 Watt array minimum (December "break even" month)
    So--If you double the battery bank, I would suggest a 6,360 Watt array (assuming you are full time off grid) with 10% rate of charge...

And if you look at the 9 month minimum (non-winter), it would produce:
    • 6,360 Watt array * 0.52 off grid AC system eff * 3.97 Hours of Sun (February) = 13,130 Watt*Hours per day (~9 months of the year)
    Because you have AGM batteries, your system may produce ~10-15% more energy (AGM batteries run >90% efficiency vs flooded cell at ~80% efficiency--The numbers I used above for 52% end to end efficiency with flooded cell batteries--just to be on the conservative side).

Anyway--That is how I rough out the math. Questions/corrections to my guesses?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps said:
    ldiorio said:
    Your new batteries will very rapidly age to match the old batteries.  
    Also, you will need more solar panels... What you have now will result in a 5% charge rate if you add another string of batteries.  After 3 or 4 days of no sun, you will need more than 5% if you are ever to get them charged up again.

--vtMaps

Agree on all counts. 

At two years for the old batteries, I would only consider adding if a true capacity test came up close to 100% of rated. Even then, you WILL degrade your new batteries. It's a question of how much - not "if."  With that particular L16 (one of my favorites) you might get acceptable results from a battery lifespan perspective.

But the resulting lower charge rate will hurt you when you actually use that new battery capacity - because the batteries will spend more time in a partially discharged state - because it takes longer to charge back to 100%. That is the formula for premature sulfation and a shortened battery lifespan

With oversized battery banks, you will need some generator run time to boost the batteries back up to where the PV can finish charging. With the DC400-6, you can charge at a 20%-25% rate without any problems.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    "I set the level of discharge to 25%."   What does this mean?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries