Chinese solar AGM batteries

junglejoe39
junglejoe39 Registered Users Posts: 34
Has anyone tried them ?

Comments

• xmineman
    xmineman Registered Users Posts: 5
    I purchased 6 Fullriver DC1150-2 2volt cells for my modest 12 volt rv battery bank. I absolutely love them.    They are made in china but I understand them to beone of the best AGM's on the planet. I am absolutely happy with them.
    1987 Avion 9.1 Metre with 5 Kyocera 270 watt panels, Midnite Classic 150 mppt controller, Approx 14.4 KW provided by 6 in series Fullriver dc1150-2 2 volt agm cells, Exeltech 2Kw pure sine inverter, Battery transfer switch to isolate pesky converter from solar components, 120 amp battery to battery charger to allow dc back up from tow vehicle and 2 Honda 2000 generators for the very rare need to back up. Networked with Cradle point AER2100 router ATT/ Verizon, WiFi as WAN on Exeltech 125 watt inverter. Microwave, 2 induction cook tops, Mr. Coffee and a pretty nice toaster.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto, My DC 250-6's are rock solid. They sat unattended for over a year and show no ill effects as well.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How many years? I have never heard of an AGM that was cycling offgrid lasting more than 6 years.

The Baja must be heating up nicely!  Fish time!  Where are you please and was your boat a Little harbor?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Just for what it's worth: I know of several off grid AGM battery banks running 7-10 years in cooler climates.
    Here in South Central Texas on 100% off grid systems, good AGM's tend to run 5-7+ years with properly designed systems.

Like FLA's, not all AGM's are the same.

The oldest Fullriver AGM off grid bank that I have personally seen is currently 4 years old and running strong. I have personally capacity tested Fullriver L16 6v and 2v batteries and the ratings were accurate. How long will they ultimately last? Who knows.......

Fullriver now offers a 7 year warranty on renewable energy applications.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Does it ever make sense to provide active refrigeration to RE batteries?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    jonr said:
    Yes, if you do it as an opportunity load.  Somebody else on this forum is using an old fridge as a battery box and runs the fridge during absorb and float.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Marc Kurth
    vtmaps said:
    jonr said:
    Yes, if you do it as an opportunity load.  Somebody else on this forum is using an old fridge as a battery box and runs the fridge during absorb and float.

--vtMaps

Yes indeed.

I have a customer in Louisiana who ran the numbers based on a 50% reduction in life for each 10 deg C rise in battery temperature for his AGM's. With his huge investment in batteries, and the relative low cost of PV, he opted to maintain the battery vault at 85 F maximum using a combination of refrigeration and passive cooling methods.

Several people have built systems that "steal" a small amount of cool air from inside their homes to help temper the battery room/box/vault.

• jonr
    edited July 2016 #9
    With AGM batteries, I would have guessed that he would just put them in air conditioned living space.  Hmm, looking at the prices of these batteries ($1000/year?), I'd go buy a new freezer to put them in.

• Marc Kurth
    Compared to our $0.10/KWH power cost (no tiers, no demand charges) no RE or battery systems make sense from a straight economic point of view when power is readily available.  Around here, PV/wind/micro-hydro with battery bank system installation is driven by the extreme cost of pulling utility power to remote properties. Numbers like $30K and $45 make alternative energy very attractive.

But many systems are being built by people who want to prepare for a "grid down" scenario. These systems sit on float waiting for the big event.

I would love to hear where you came up with $1,000 per year, and how does that compare to other batteries that you have analyzed?

Being far from an expert, I am always willing to listen and learn.
  • jonr
    edited August 2016 #11
    Not at all accurate, I just used $500 per battery and 12 of them to get 24V.  So $6000 and perhaps they last 6 years (hot climate without refrigeration).    Very rough guesses say that the Tesla Powerwall might be similar.   I agree that $20K upfront (more made up numbers) plus $1K/year in batteries sounds better than $40K up front plus $500/year utility bills.

• Marc Kurth
    edited August 2016 #12
    Batteries are the weakest link for sure. With a great design and really good care, Remembering that all batteries are not created equal, a 7-10 year battery life is doable. 

Friday, I got an order for (24) small 2v AGM batteries to replace a bank installed in February 2006 in North Texas. It is a 31 KWH battery bank. Two of the batteries are starting to show a lower voltage that the others, so the owner wants to replace the bank. It's off grid so he needs reliability.

He paid $223. each for these American made batteries back in 2006, so a $ 5400. investment not including labor.
    The scrap lead value for his batteries today is about $500., so about $4,900. spent on batteries.

So, this one is right at $500./year. The new batch will cost more of course....
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #13
    maybe off topic . but . has anyone got any experience with flooded carbon batteries?
    http://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/giant-power-lead-carbon-batteries-home-energy-storage
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home