New Samsung Inverter Fridge

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
Well just picked up a new Samsung inverter fridge for $320 to use in our new off grid house. We are finally moving out of the motor home into new house in the jungle so needed a fridge. To order a Dometic here in Mexico it would be $1700 so it was a no brainier. It leaves me with $1380 to buy more panels and batteries. And no more LP bills. It's only 12 CF but that's still 40% bigger than a Dometic. 310 kwh per year.

Comments

• simmtron
    Well plugged it in and have my Kill-a-Watt meter hooked up. Started out at 11 watts then jumped to 32 watts  then 55 watts now leveled off at 130 watts. This is from hot so I'll see how long it takes to cool down. After 10 minutes the freezer was already quite cold.

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    simmtron said:
    Well just picked up a new Samsung inverter fridge for $320 to use in our new off grid house. We are finally moving out of the motor home into new house in the jungle so needed a fridge. To order a Dometic here in Mexico it would be $1700 so it was a no brainier. It leaves me with $1380 to buy more panels and batteries. And no more LP bills. It's only 12 CF but that's still 40% bigger than a Dometic. 310 kwh per year.
    Would you have a link,so i could look at the data?
  • simmtron
    edited May 2016 #4
    What data would you be interested in? It is a model RT29FARLDSP  Or RT29F . The later numbers are just differences from countries, I think.

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #5
    I have the 340 l model . been going for a year and a  half . Pleased with it .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • simmtron
    edited May 2016 #6
    It was interesting in doing research on fridges, I was looking at Sun Frost  fridges 110 volt and although they are super expensive $3300us, they are now no more efficient than A store bought fridge.
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #7
    My wife suprised me and got a similar fridge. She went shopping for a refrigerator and came back with the inverter refrigerator.   At the time was I believe around $500 usd. I am also in mexico. Exchange rate was not as good as it is now.

Just found old post.  Over 2 years old. No problems other than too small
    Http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/307046#Comment_307046
  • simmtron
    Thing about the size of a fridge, doesn't matter what the size you will always overfill them.
  • simmtron
    null
    Where in Mexico are you?
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Was in quintana roo.  But last few years in the yucatan.  Starting a small off grid ranch. Hopefully live there with in a year.  Like you probably know everything takes forever. Feels like a never ending money pit. But this upcoming year hopefully costs are covered by income. 
  • simmtron
    In Quintana Roo outside Playa.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this run ok on modified sine power?
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • simmtron
    706jim said:
    Does this run ok on modified sine power?
    Don't know, I have a sine wave inverter . I wouldn't think so though.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a gadget cost's more than $80, I would only run it off a pure sine inverter
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Simmtron, have you measured kilowatt hours/day? And at what ambient temperature?
  • simmtron
    Simmtron, have you measured kilowatt hours/day? And at what ambient temperature?
    roughly, as I don't use it yet , I have it on the patio until house is done and had it running for 3 days. Average temp here is about 92-94 during the day and down to mid low 80's during night. I had my Kill a Watt hooked up and over the 3 days it used 4.2 KWH. This is with the fridge empty other than the workers building the house putting warm water in he freezer everyday. So not real world results. I will redo once I have the fridge in the house and full without warm water going in the freezer everyday . Even overnight my batteries never went below 12.6 volts.