Remote Internet Acess

Options
RD13363
RD13363 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello All, 

New to solar and looking to setup a location for the cable company to connect a cable modem. Where the house is does not have service but a side road to the property does. What I'm looking as is most likely purchasing a modem and running it off 12v DC along with a router and point to point antennas. Hopefully all equipment can be run off the 12v DC. The modem i've been looking at has a 12v 1amp adapter and the router I already have runs the same. This setup would have to run 24 hrs with those two devices minimum. Hopefully i can get away without having to use a signal booster on that end. The distance is going to be approx. 1000-1200ft line of site. Any suggestions or experieance would be apreciated. 

Regards
Randy

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1000-1200 feet line of sight isn't too hard, I use a simple usb antenna in the window to connect to my neighbors wifi about 400 feet away and inside her home with a few trees between. (yes, she knows and I pay for the service).

You might research 'WISP' wireless internet service providers, for a good connection you will want that type of equipment and good directional antennas. I've setup about 1000 foot, mostly line of sight with just a yagi and plate antennas, but rain and strong winds would interrupt the signal. Just getting an antenna outside will help a good bit. I setup a small campground with an old 'B' freq 'Open Mesh' unit in an outdoor housing and had as many as 16 using up to 250 feet away. Single 1/4" drill hole power over the Ethernet cable hard wired to the router inside.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.