Beware when ordering from China I learned a hard lesson this week

Blindowl1234
Blindowl1234 Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
Since I'm just starting to experiment with solar on a small scale I'm not ready to put lots of money into it. A few weeks ago
I ordered a small part direct from Ecoworthy China. I'd looked to see what taxes, fees etc might be charged. 2.7% duty tax should've been all. Yesterday I got a bill from the shipping company for an additional $95 for a $50 part. Needless to say I learned a fast lesson on where to order solar items from, and it's not China. I just want to pass the story along to any other newbie's....beware when ordering outside of the country you live in. I'm sure I hear the seasoned veterans saying I could've told you so. Well lesson learned and the shipping company will be out $95 as I won't be paying it lol. Guess I'm ordering from NAWS from now on.

Comments

• mike74820
    mike74820 Registered Users Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited February 2016 #2
    if ordering from ebay, i always check the usa tab on the left or use your own home country. so i dont get my self into trouble with stuff like this
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    You do learn something about importing gear thats for sure. In NZ theres no duty on electronics, but you pay 15% GST if the total including frieght is over NZD400.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    lesson should be do NOT use any of the standard courier (robber) services, up here we use USPS to Canada, no added surprises , just the tax...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

When "we" order directly form some vendor outside our country,  what almost always happens,  is that the shipment needs to be Imported to the country.

So there are often several third-parties involved,  each of which probably has some fixed-costs and or minimum fees.

Often  the Mail system is the best equipped to handle small,  low-ish value items.

When larger shipments are brought into the USA,  it is not uncommon for US Customs to cause a fairly lengthy delay in Clearance.   There are always Customs Brokers involved,  and would bet that were not for these brokers,  nothing would ever move through Customs,  here,  and it would take much more personal involvement ...   IMO.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blindowl1234
    Vic said:

When "we" order directly form some vendor outside our country,  what almost always happens,  is that the shipment needs to be Imported to the country.

So there are often several third-parties involved,  each of which probably has some fixed-costs and or minimum fees.

Often  the Mail system is the best equipped to handle small,  low-ish value items.

When larger shipments are brought into the USA,  it is not uncommon for US Customs to cause a fairly lengthy delay in Clearance.   There are always Customs Brokers involved,  and would bet that were not for these brokers,  nothing would ever move through Customs,  here,  and it would take much more personal involvement ...   IMO.

FWIW,   Vic

Vic, I agree with your comments. Actually I get better service priority mail than any other service. This item was stuck in customs one day and Fed X got involved. Not sure if their brokers are in house or third party but I'm sure that was the issue and the added cost involved. Of course they never mentioned any added fees etc... lol. I've ordered a few non electronic things from China in the past without issue. I always try and order from a U.S shipper and normally if it's ebay I will check U.S only too. As always if the deal is too good to be true it probably is lol.
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    I ordered many things from China so far and never had any problems and never had to pay an extra free.
    I never ordered from ecoworthy either because I felt that their products are way overpriced for the quality they offer.
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited February 2016 #8
    I live in Canada, and EBAY's global shipping program is stopping me from ordering from US vendors. The charges are out of sight and the service is terrible. On the same day I ordered something from China with free shipping and received it two weeks before I received something  I ordered from Florida and paid more for shipping and duties than the part cost. One month from Florida to Toronto.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping is an interesting subject, I've order many things from China over the years through eBay, often a long delay. a couple years ago It took10 weeks to get some torx screw drivers. I Emailed them and they sent a 2nd shipment and a week later the first arrived and a week after that the 2nd.

Last fall I ordered 2 sets of 5 stainless 6" rulers, $3-4 shipped. They never showed up and a single contact refunded my money from each of them.

I've shipped a $1000 camera to Japan, also through eBay. They paid $150 extra to have delivery in 7-10 days rather than just $40 for 4-6 weeks.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Blindowl1234
    Photowhit said:

Shipping is an interesting subject, I've order many things from China over the years through eBay, often a long delay. a couple years ago It took10 weeks to get some torx screw drivers. I Emailed them and they sent a 2nd shipment and a week later the first arrived and a week after that the 2nd.

Last fall I ordered 2 sets of 5 stainless 6" rulers, $3-4 shipped. They never showed up and a single contact refunded my money from each of them.

I've shipped a $1000 camera to Japan, also through eBay. They paid $150 extra to have delivery in 7-10 days rather than just $40 for 4-6 weeks.

I agree the global way of doing business is messed up for the little guy. I've heard of people ordering items and they never get them too. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here's a new twist on shipping from out of country, to (California at least) we got a letter last week from the Calif Tax Board, that Customs reported a shipment to them and that they (tax board) needed a copy of the invoice since their copy showed no sales tax!
     What a mess this is turning out to be,  Even with Amazon, (or without) hungry tax loosing states are searching all sources for revenue,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,