Recommendations for a 14' snow broom?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
A lot of roof work when it is snowy and icy is clearly to be avoided.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Came up with a decent plan unless someone has an alternate. A large floor broom with ~2 foot sweep may have a handle that is slightly less than 1" wide. One could buy a properly sized pvc length and insert the broom inside the pvc length.

I think many of these larger brooms will have a handle closer to 1 1/4" wide.

I would not suggest a steel handle due to probable slipping and introducing hairline cracks to the frozen solar glass. Hairline cracks that will grow due to freezing/thawing and subsequent expansions/contractions
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go and buy a painter extension, I use a 14 or 16 foot one, I had a 12 foot one but it would just reach the top of my ground mounted array. I use to use a squeegee, but I'm using a brush/broom end now, screws right in. The 12 foot one is steel and cheap, double extension compression leaver lock, this works pretty well when you have gloves on, I have a shorter twist lock fiberglass, that doesn't like to work well in the cold, my new/used one is an older design, push button type that locks into place. It's over 8 feet long closed, so lives out side, the button doesn't work at all near zero so it lives extended.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    edited January 2016 #4
    Options
    Thanks....I was able to put together three pieces for my cement float....totally 18'. An almost ideal length with the 10' roof height and the setback of the panels. My 12' electrical pole was just too short. Yes....I have a lot of stuff when I can find them.

This is the best deal ($38) I could find for those who need a long extension: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C0144E/ref=sr_1_33_olp?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452367266&sr=1-33&keywords=painter+extension&condition=used

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options

related question...

Is there a safe for the panels way to remove ice???     or is the answer spelled generator?

Also,       Since this will be my 1st winter with large ground mount panels do I want an especially soft broom or is a stiffer shop broom ok?

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• softdown
    Options
    I think a windshield ice scraper may work as well as anything for the ice. A stiff, wide broom for the snow.