How would you use this type of 24v generator?

Options

I found this exact generator for under $200.00.  New, with regulator; generator outputs 500+ amps....

Not sure how to use it as a backup genny for a 5kw "off grid" battery backup Outback system.  Eight batteries are L-16 440ah, 6v., but could go to a new forklift battery that's a little larger in rating..

How would you use it and spin it?

Ushttp://www.ebay.com/itm/170729289827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no idea what you would use to power it on a long term basis or even whether it has a pulley on it already of just a keyed shaft.
    If you have a tractor with a PTO that would be a good way to power it for emergency use.
    The 28V output, if not adjustable, is not going to be great for battery charging on a 24V bank.
    It seems more suited to directly driving a large set of 28V loads.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options
    28V would be ideal to charge a 24V bank...

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd be fine with the 28v output, for emergency use you would be fine, it's much more capable generator than you need since a 880 ah (100 hr rate? so really @ 780?) so more than about 13% would be more than you need.

Do you weld? Might check out Zena or Underhood truck welders, I think they both make 24 volt versions that can be mounted to a motor and has regulated charging....

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #5
    Options
    Photowhit said:

I'd be fine with the 28v output, for emergency use you would be fine, it's much more capable generator than you need since a 880 ah (100 hr rate? so really @ 780?) so more than about 13% would be more than you need.

Do you weld? Might check out Zena or Underhood truck welders, I think they both make 24 volt versions that can be mounted to a motor and has regulated charging....

Photowhit,

Here's the data on the batteries I have.  It should be 420ah, not 440ah.  Together they are rated at 840ah @ 20hrs, with two 24v strings and then in parallel for a 24 system.  From what I've gathered, these batteries will last about 3 years before failing, so their not the super ones on the market.....  One fellow I know had Trojan, then went to these, but went back to Trojans after experiencing the U.S. Battery's 3 yr. lifespan. 

http://usbattery.com/products/6-volt-batteries/us-l16hc-xc2/

This generator/alternator comes with it's own regulator attached.  I just wish I knew how something this  powerful could be used to its 570 amp ability toward home power and backup....  I do weld, but don't need this for a portable power source welding system.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This generator would need about a 30 hp fuel powered  motor/engine for full load.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bill,

L16 flooded (floor scrubber) batteries should last at least 5 years if not abused, I use to use 5-7 years as an expected life for those.

The reason I mentioned the Underhood welding units, is they are designed to mount under the hood of trucks either replacing the alternator or in addition to the alternator. I helped a friend purchase an Underhood version, I think for around $450 a few years back for his ford F250 and one of the options was a 24 volt unit. Looks like prices have really gone up on these now. Just thought it might be a reasonable emergency backup and added functionality.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any battery will have a short 3 year lifespan if not taken care of.  The US RE  L16 series have been very reliable. Both the 400 & 1,100 AH cells. 4 clients using them over 4 years. I expect them to go for 10 years.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BilljustBill
    Options
    Photowhit said:

Here is an update on information of this generator.  It's the PDF data sheet showing RPM and wattage output.  It appears this generator/alternator can generate ample charging power without going to its full RPM or to its high amp rating (i.e. 1500 rpm)

How would you use something like this?

Bill
  • BilljustBill
    Options
    bump
    Bill
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking...

I have found some wiring and installation instructions on the web (seems to take a standard belt drive). And it needs an external regulator. It appears it would take ~10 kWatt of drive power (~13 to 18 Horse Power) to drive rated current at 2,000 RPM...

Electrical wiring information:

http://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG56B_uid6920111006491.pdf

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BilljustBill
    Options

I found this exact generator for under $200.00.  New, with regulator; generator outputs 500+ amps....

Not sure how to use it as a backup genny for a 5kw "off grid" battery backup Outback system.  Eight batteries are L-16 440ah, 6v., but could go to a new forklift battery that's a little larger in rating..

How would you use it and spin it?

Ushttp://www.ebay.com/itm/170729289827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX

Thanks,

Bill

BB. said:
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking...

I have found some wiring and installation instructions on the web (seems to take a standard belt drive). And it needs an external regulator. It appears it would take ~10 kWatt of drive power (~13 to 18 Horse Power) to drive rated current at 2,000 RPM...

Electrical wiring information:

http://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG56B_uid6920111006491.pdf

-Bill

Thank you, Bill.  I'll take a look at the link.  The generator came with its external regulator, plus I found a spare new old stock regulator still sealed in its original factory package.  My hope is to use this high amp potential generator as a powered backup charger for the 24v, 880 ah battery bank should the grid go down and/or sunshine is limited for more than several days.

One other question I have is about email notices when someone posts to my thread.  How do I get it set to send notices to my email?

Thanks for the time and help!

Bill

Bill
  • BilljustBill
    Options
    I have a John Deere X-500 with a 22hp twin cylinder engine.  It just sits after the first frost and stays until the March warmth shows up.  Making a quick release bracket mount for a direct belt drive to it wouldn't be too much of a problem. 

Thanks again for the link,
    Bill
    Bill