New forum software is live - report any errors, bugs, or issues here.

Comments

• rick
    rick Administrators Posts: 134 admin
    I will say I am pretty happy with the PC (larger screen) version. And it is good to see a mobile friendly version. I simply wish it was more similar to the PC version. 
    If you prefer the PC version of the site, you can always tell your mobile browser to request the desktop version of the site. You can do this by tapping on the 3 dots in the address bar on the right hand side. That's where it is on my Android Chrome browser. It may be different for Apple or Firefox mobile browsers. But when I do that on my phone, it loads the PC version of the page. I hope that helps.
    Website administrator for Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
  • rick
    So what do all these badge things do... can they be deleted?
    They are just something that members get for earning different achievements. I don't know if we will keep using them or not. If the members decide they don't like them, I can disable them. But I don't think it can be disabled on a single user. They are either enabled for everyone or disabled for everyone.
  • rick
    There is no link to the online store. Clicking on the "wind&sun" at the top of the page goes no where?
    This is something we will add in the near future. I want to get the forum operating smoothly for everyone first and then I'll start adding stuff like links to the store.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    On the other board I frequent which uses badges, they are a somewhat useful indicator of who has made a lot of posts that have been acknowledged as a solution.
    For them to be useful on this board would take user acceptance of the feedback mechanisms the new software has.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • rick
    inetdog said:
    When using the Quote feature on a post with an existing quote, I got a data entry box in which it was not possible to move the insert point out of the nested quote structure. I had to switch to HTML view to complete my post.
    Also, there was not Delete or Cancel button for the attempted post to allow me to start over. Using the browser back button just took me back to the list when i reeentered that thread the partial post in progress was still there.
    I think it doesn't have a cancel or delete button because you can just use the backspace key and delete any text or formatting that was in the comment post box. I tried this by clicking on the "Quote" button for someone's post. It added the quote to my comment box. Then I just backspaced over everything and then my comment box was clear.
  • rick
    I think I've got the signature permissions fixed. Let me know if anyone is still  having trouble editing their signature.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    rick said:
    I think I've got the signature permissions fixed. Let me know if anyone is still  having trouble editing their signature.
    I still do not have permission to add a signature.  --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • rick
    vtmaps said:
    rick said:
    I still do not have permission to add a signature.  --vtMaps
    Ok, I think I see what I did wrong. Try it now and see if it works.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Signature access worked for me

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • vtmaps
    rick said:
    It works.  Not only that, it added the signature to all my previous posts... I'm not sure I like that... have to think about it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    edited September 2015 #42
    vtmaps said:
    rick said:
    It works.  Not only that, it added the signature to all my previous posts... I'm not sure I like that... have to think about it.

--vtMaps

It has to work that way. It builds the display of each post by fetching your current signature. Otherwise the signature would be taking up database space for each post.
    Just like your oldest post reflects your current membership category rather than what you were when you made the post.

BTW, signature works for me now too.
  • vtmaps
    inetdog said:

It has to work that way. It builds the display of each post by fetching your current signature. Otherwise the signature would be taking up database space for each post.
    Just like your oldest post reflects your current membership category rather than what you were when you made the post.
    I doesn't HAVE to work that way... it didn't work that way on the vbulletin software.  --vtMaps
  • Mountain Don
    edited September 2015 #44
    All forum signatures work the same way on any forum I've been on, to the best of my recollection. . Change at any time and it changes on all past, present and future posts.

It's nice that we can also select where or not to show signature images and to select to not show any signature on a mobile device or to never display any signatures ever. 

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Rick,
    Thanks for all your help, support and attention to the forum. Minus a few bells and whistles from the old software, this new package is already far superior. I'm sure you guys will have most issues ironed out soon.
    Gary

• inetdog
    vtmaps said:
    I doesn't HAVE to work that way... it didn't work that way on the vbulletin software.  --vtMaps

Odd, I seem to remember it working that way in vBulletin too.
    Signatures, "titles" and images all seem to be added at display time. I guess I need to do some experimenting....

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Tried to Edit a Post,  but could not seem to make it work.

Tried adding a Link,  and  it seems to take a bit of gear-shifting,  and Right-Click/Paste does not seem to work well (this is always the way I've done it forever)  With right click,  seems that the Link gets embedded into text above the cursor.  Ctrl V  seems to work OK for pasting,  though.

Thanks rick,  and BB Bill for all the efforts getting this new software running well.

And Thank You BB Bill for being SO Moderate.  You do a lot of work behind the scenes,  and we cannot imagine the amount of effort that this requires.  Thanks!   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally found the  "Mark /All Read" option in the little gear symbol up in the upper corner with MY PROFILE options.  Is it possible to move it to the main page?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Mountain Don
    edited September 2015 #49
    having trouble posting an image.....   there I think this will work....  it is at the the top of every page bewteen the logo and the search field

• Mountain Don
    FWIW, that image is hosted on photobucket and rather than use the usual IMG tag  as I would on most forums I had to use the "Direct" tag that photobucket has. Other hosts may vary
  • inetdog
    inetdog said:
    vtmaps said:

Odd, I seem to remember it working that way in vBulletin too.
    Signatures, "titles" and images all seem to be added at display time. I guess I need to do some experimenting....

I just ran a test on another vBulletin board and any change to signature immediately affects the display of old posts.
    Perhaps threads which are old enough to be auto-archived are handled differently. I did not test that.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I may have found a bug in the "mark all as read".  used that option went another site using same page, came back here a few hours later and there were 2 "NEW" posts but I had already read one , the other  really was a new updated post...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No .sigs ?  that's not a good thing.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    View latest posts (old board) is Not Equal to New Discussion and Mark All Viewed does not empty the list of New Discussion
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inetdog
    edited September 2015 #55
    mike95490 said:
    View latest posts (old board) is Not Equal to New Discussion and Mark All Viewed does not empty the list of New Discussion
    Yes, because New Discussion (just clicking the Discussion button) shows all new posts whether read or not.
    This is a serious lack of functionality.
    The New Discussion does not seem to be equivalent to the old Today's Posts either in that it goes back far more than one day.
    If you have read a page full of latest posts you have to go to an earlier page to see other unread posts.

PS: That should  be Recent Discussion. New Discussion is the action button to create a new thread.

PPS: I am not sure I understand the distinction between New Discussion and Ask A Question. (The two choices in the New Discussion dropdown.)
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Where do I find the members list?
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to fix my signature line, Had to enter info as  It seemed to have disappeared. Still cant seem to figure out how to get it to show up anywhere in my postings. The signature settings have choices to hide , but not show. Also I noticed the forum site seems to think I am a solar expert. Cant figure out how to change that as I don't consider myself an expert.

Bottom line here, after fumbling around on this new forum, I really don't like this new format. The older format was WAYYY more user friendly.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what do you know?? my signature line has appeared.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    More of an observation than a question, but looking at users online shows visitors in the single digits. On the old forum that count was always in the hundreds. Is the website still blocked in some areas?
  • rick
    Where do I find the members list?
    I don't think there's a way to see the members list.
  • rick
    More of an observation than a question, but looking at users online shows visitors in the single digits. On the old forum that count was always in the hundreds. Is the website still blocked in some areas?
    I've noticed this as well. I'm not sure what the reason is. The new forum has been online for a couple of days now, so if it's due to the DNS settings, we should see an increase sometime today in the number of guests. It normally doesn't take more than 48 hours for DNS changes to propagate around the globe. Otherwise, I'm not sure why there are so few guests unless Vanilla just doesn't show them all for some reason, which I find unlikely, or maybe the numbers that vBulletin was showing us were incorrect. It's hard to say why, but I'm going to keep and eye on it and see if it improves.
This discussion has been closed.