Adding six panels and switching to Midnite for charge controller?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Bought eight new 190 watt panels with the same "architecture" as my existing panels. Planning to point three to the east and three to the west. This is what I have very convenient roof space for.

Figuring that keeping two spare panels is good insurance for losing a panel or two in the future. My roof will feature 24 panels when this is completed.

With a Midnite controller, I could run three panels in series in this cold climate. Plus Midnite is more user friendly from the looks of things. My Outback controller and I don't communicate perfectly. It still intimidates me to be honest.

But will I create possible compatibility problems with my existing Outback MATE system?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But will I create possible compatibility problems with my existing Outback MATE system?
    Not if you don't connect the Classic data cable to the Outback data cable, that would be BAD.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    Options
    I have not seen a truly affordable 48 volt charge controller that is rated for ~180 volts. Thinking I have a lot of property taxes coming up....It is very gard to find a deal on a good charge controller.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    What about the school of thought that one can run panels to the east and to the west and to the south...all on the same mppt charge controller? Thus getting more capabilities from the same charge controller? Forgot what this is called but this theory has a significant following. And some corresponding detractors...

EDIT: This is called virtual tracking. Makes sense to try it. What could go wrong?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sure you can have ALL directions present on one charge controller. Not as good as a real tracker, assuming the tracker could last a long time without breaking or needing maintenance.

Should work as long as you size things so that you don't lose power when conditions are ideal and sun is shining really good on at least two of your 3 directions of panels. That is, that the MPPT controller is not over-current limiting so you would get more power if it was NOT limiting.
  • softdown
    Options
    From my readings, a large attraction of virtual tracking is that it allows more panels on a single charge controller. The incoming power is spread throughout the day instead of slamming the CC for 4-6 hours. My attraction to the principle is almost doubling the charge period and avoiding the harsh spikes to the batteries. I believe that batteries will last much longer with longer charge periods and shorter discharge periods.

http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic5064.html
    boB wrote: »
    Sure you can have ALL directions present on one charge controller. Not as good as a real tracker, assuming the tracker could last a long time without breaking or needing maintenance.

Should work as long as you size things so that you don't lose power when conditions are ideal and sun is shining really good on at least two of your 3 directions of panels. That is, that the MPPT controller is not over-current limiting so you would get more power if it was NOT limiting.