"Number of Posts" Indicator

crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
We seem to have lost track of our numbers of posts. :cry: For example, my number dropped by >55%. At one level, I suppose it doesn't matter, but, at another level, an accurate indicator reveals a measure of commitment by the "senior" forum members.

What happended? :confused:

Thanks,
Jim / crewzer

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: "Number of Posts" Indicator

It's also an indicator of the stability of the message board software.

Gee, when I search for "new" posts, am I really seeing all of them ? Sometimes edits work, sometimes not. Maybe the new software has lots of flashy blinky lights somewhere, but if it compromises the boards function, how do we know?

Do we compare the existing messages to our local message database (whoops, I DON'T have a local database, but I thought I remembered I posted something about XYZ last month)

This is a most comprehensive board, and yet I'm slowly losing faith in it's accuracy, seeing all the buggy reports this last month. Is there a software patch that has not been applied, or the host machine running out of RAM/disk space?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• crewzer

Have we lost all posts more than a year old? :confused:

Thanks,
    Jim / crewzer
  • skflyfish
    skflyfish Registered Users Posts: 20

I don't think ALL Crewzer. My original posts on the chest freezer from almost 2 years ago are still there. My user id was invalid, but the posts remained.

HTH,

Jay
  • crewzer

OK... thx. Maybe I'm just having trouble figuring out how/if the search engine on this new forum works...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

when you had first brought up about your number of posts being reduced jim my numbers for posts were fine, but now my numbers are 1/3 of what they were as i was close to 2500 posts before and now about 820. maybe the software is accurately counting the number of posts, but maybe some of those posts are eliminated now. i'm guessing they weren't eliminated by the number of posts i see in each general catagory.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

A while back, when I first moved to the new board, I had it purge all messages over 2 years old, I guess it finally got around to recounting them.

I also went through and deleted some old obsolete messages that no longer pertained to anything that is now relevant, like posts referring to the old board.
  • crewzer

Understood. I was searching for some old posts to use as references, but they apear to be gone. I'll start keeping a better "local" library.

It's still a great forum!

Thx,
    Jim / crewzer
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

i had hundreds, i actually LOST my account in the upgrade, had to start over and am now classified as a "new guy" :( . re old posts: as you know i often share pearls of wisdom for you all, and now those old posts are gone.. seriously, theres SO much info it would be nice if you could keep the older stuff. for example: after a while you see the same questions over and over, its nice that people can search. another example is i wanted to see what my old stove power measurements were as they compared to a new unit: those posts are gone. anyhow, yes, i vote for more longevity of posts.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

better yet may be an archived section.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Just wanted to remove the "0" posts..... Originally, I was just visiting. I decided to register after reviewing the fine quality of the discussions. :D
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    lamplight wrote: »
    those posts are gone. anyhow, yes, i vote for more longevity of posts.

The old software had gone through about 5-6 updates, and when I moved to this new program, some of the messages from mid 2006 and earlier had apparently gotten corrupted. They were there, but all the header info such as who from, subject, etc was all gone so I had to prune them out.

Right now I have the board set to remove any messages over 900 days with no replies.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Windsun wrote: »
    The old software had gone through about 5-6 updates, and when I moved to this new program, some of the messages from mid 2006 and earlier had apparently gotten corrupted. They were there, but all the header info such as who from, subject, etc was all gone so I had to prune them out.

Right now I have the board set to remove any messages over 900 days with no replies.

;) Perhaps, you could randomly recycle them in a "Old Post" of the day thread.... sans any of the attributions.....might help regenerate interesting discussions and avoid constant FAQ's