pallet jack batteries

Tooltime
Tooltime Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭
I have found some batteries that need some help knowing that I should buy. these are pallet jack batteries that are 12v 425ah. I want to replace my 2.5 year old golf cart batteries. I have 8 hooked into a 24 volt off the grid system. What is the watt hour rating if i have 4 of these hooked into 24 volts? How can I tell how good they are without taking them home and charging them for a couple of days?

Other info on the tag is:
E-583
finish rate 21 amps
type 006085f11

these are Hawker batteries

Thanks again for your help

Tom

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used? You might be able to research the code to discover the year of manufacture. I would guess the last 3 pairs of numbers are 06 (6 cells/12v), 85 amps per positive plate 8 hour rate, 11 plates, 5 of which are positive, per cell. If the first is year of manufacture... 00 as in 2000, I'd stay away.

425 amps is based on a discharge over 6 or 8 hours, Solar batteries are typically rated at a 20 hour rate a 20 hour rate for these is around 650-670amphours

Pretty hard to judge used batteries with out pushing them around, charge them up, checking how much amperage passes to the/ how quick they drop off, and discharging them to see what capacity they have. Checking voltage, SG and how fast the voltage drops can also give you clues, but a used battery is a roll of the dice.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Tooltime
    The good news about the batteries is that I can buy them at 20 cents a pound, if the are no good I can run them to the local recycle yard. I am out my time and some back breaking work moving them around. there is a phone # of the manufacturer on the lable. I will call them tomorrow to get some idea on how old they are.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know what lead is purchased for in your area, or if the recycler can do semi loads of batteries(they get more money) but steel case batteries bring less money than plastic.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    At .20/pound....I would run and get these. Let us know your findings.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Any findings? I have long been interested in used forklift or pallet jack batteries.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Tooltime
    Softdown,  I have 4 of the 6 batteries hooked and have been working out great.  Sure beats the golf cart batteries.  I have 2 more to get in line.  
  • softdown
    What year were they made? Just out of curiosity. Must weigh well over 300 pounds/battery. Moving them is work. Nobody will steal them...

11 plates/cell? I think forklift batteries often have 17 plates/cell? I have some hybrid forklift/starter batteries with 25 plates/cell. I wonder how many plates/cell they use in pure, high CCA, starter batteries.

For solar...the thicker the plates, the better.
  • Tooltime
  • Tooltime
    I believe they 2011 batteries weigh about 475 a peace.  Not sure about the plates but a do know they are lot better then the 2 1/2 golf cart batteries.  
  • softdown
    What does this bank weigh vs the weight of the golf cart battery bank?