Has anybody found a good funnel for putting last years genset gas into car tank?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Gasoline that is 10% ethanol starts degrading within weeks. It is pretty unusable after a couple of years. I want to dump last years genset gasoline into my cars gas tank. Car will be fine with a 50/50 blend of 2015 and 2014 gasoline. Need a pretty large funnel with a hose that goes into gas tank inlet.

Thought that someone here may have found such a product that they are happy with. I could look on the net of course....probably will. But many products wind somehow being "different" than what I anticipated.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• froggersix
    froggersix Solar Expert Posts: 35
    why should it go bad? i've heard about gas going bad but it doesn't if its sealed up and alcohol in it doesn't make any difference. but ethanol gas isn't good for small engines anyway and shouldn't be sued.
  • softdown
    This doesn't look too bad:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6094-Fu...nnel+with+hose

Apparently the flex extension is somewhat flimsy. So it has to be braced or used with three hands.

Surely somebody has made a huge funnel with a sturdy extension.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    There are so many things wrong with this post that I'm just going to back away....
    froggersix wrote: »
    why should it go bad? i've heard about gas going bad but it doesn't if its sealed up and alcohol in it doesn't make any difference. but ethanol gas isn't good for small engines anyway and shouldn't be sued.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    There are gasoline preservatives... I use Stabil (don''t know if good brand or not, just easy to get in our area) to store gas in a few sealed 5 gallon cans for ~1 year--Although, I have read folks that say even then the fuel should be recycled after 6 months.

Years ago, a friend bought a 1940's car that had not been driven for a few years--The "gasoline" looked clear and did not smell bad (most gasoline will turn dark and "smell bad/different" if it has gone bad). But could not start the car. Took some gas out and could not even light it with a match.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    I'm very happy with this $28 purchase I made last month. Flex funnels are bull * because they flop down. You can siphon or pump the fuel depending on how much you need to transfer. And the spout holds the car tank's flap open for you. Pump it straight in, or transfer it with a gas can.
    And the accessories give you the option to pump gas OUT of the car if you are in desperate need of generator gas.
  • JoshK
    Basically everyone with a generator or snow blower needs one of those to transfer gas to and from their vehicle.
  • softdown
    Reviews for their products are very good. How fast is the flow rate? One thing I have learned from internet orders, I am often surprised by the size that I receive.
    JoshK wrote: »
    I'm very happy with this $28 purchase I made last month. Flex funnels are bull * because they flop down. You can siphon or pump the fuel depending on how much you need to transfer. And the spout holds the car tank's flap open for you. Pump it straight in, or transfer it with a gas can.
    And the accessories give you the option to pump gas OUT of the car if you are in desperate need of generator gas.

• JoshK
    The hose is 3/8 Outside Diameter and 1/4 ID. It's not a speed demon, but it siphons good. And the pump is great too. After you prime the system with the pump, you can open a clamp to bypass the pump and it flows a full 1/4" stream while you go do something else. The greater the height difference, the faster it flows of course. I removed the filter before ever trying it, the filter seemed like a silly idea to me. I don't often get better quality than expected when I buy online, but this time I did.
  • BB.
    I have a version of this I purchased years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10801-FloTool-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H3DQTK807C69VABSWME

The shaker works great with gas cans (I put the can on the side of the Pickup Truck bed). Very fast and easy. Probably would not start a good siphon if the gas can was less than 1/4 or 1/2 full (you need to shake the hose up and down to start the flow--There is a "marble" that acts like a check valve at the end of the hose).

I have not siphoned from a car--Some comments say that it will not fit past the No-Lead filler pipe hole.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    I used this for a few years now and it is also good for pumping oil or kerosine. http://www.amazon.com/IIT-17544-Siph...+transfer+pump
    Our Autozone and Advance auto have it but is more expensive.
    Our gasoline goes bad in about 2 month when in a closed container and if untreated.
    I bought a diesel car years ago and that car was sitting in a field for 3 years. I got it to crank at the field with that 3 year old diesel, gave that man $300 for the car and drove it home.

Why would someone use bad fuel in a car? If such fuel is not good enough to run a generator, why would it be good enough for a car which has more sensors that can be very sensitive to such fuel and may even damage sensors or other things if used. It does not make sense to use fuel in a car that does not burn. It is like making a fire with firewood and then add concrete to the fire to make the concrete burn.

• verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Year old gas from a sealed container will not hurt your car. Some cars have pressure sensors in the fuel system but they don't care what has evaporated out of the gas.
  • BB.
    My plan is to use the gas in the car before it goes bad... In my case, the generator is just for emergency use--Have had a generator for 15+ years, and never have needed it yet (several power failures, generally a car hit a pole, and was only out for a couple of hours--Not worth firing up the genset).

-Bill
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I added fuel line taps to my vehicles to get fuel from vehicles to my small engines.
    With the generator I have found that I put gas in its 8 gallon main tank, it doesn't get used, it just sits there and gets stale. I have considered adding a small fuel pump to my generator to pump fuel from its tank back into a vehicle or gas can.

You can add old stale gas that isn't contaminated with rust, dirt or water to a cars gas tank because you are adding a gallon or less of old gas to 10 or more gallons of fresh gas. Your cars engine wont even notice a little stale gas mixed into the tank. But when you try to run a small engine off 100% old gas its not going to like it so much.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a "transmission" funnel. The new leak proof vapor tight storage/dispensing cans don't fit a '83, 98, or 2011 car's gas filler port. So I use a transmission funnel, and inevitably dribble fuel all over, which is what the new anti-cans are supposed to prevent with their trash spouts and interlock valves. Do-Gooder idiots running the CARB.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    This is what I use to purchase and store gasoline in:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577244_200577244

Yes, I know they are listed as "water" jugs. However, they don't have any of that annoying "nanny" gear on them that all the gas cans have nowadays that make it almost impossible to use.

It has a old-school screw-on air bleed at the back and the nozzle is flexible and also has a channel to allow air into the jug. They are very easy to hoist and guide into (and past the flapper) in gas fillers on cars.

Mine are clearly labelled "GASOLINE" and I've painted them red with spray paint so that there's no confusion (not that the smell wouldn't give it away right away anyhow).

Since I live 25 miles from the nearest fuel source, I have 8 of these that I fill up and store in a shady spot at my place. They seal up so well that you can transport them INSIDE the car without smelling fuel (unless you dribbled on the outside while filling)

Luckily for me, I have a Northern Tool outlet store in the nearest big city -- shipping these would be annoying. Maybe you can find something similar elsewhere.
  • kaipo_boy
    kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I use a "transmission" funnel. The new leak proof vapor tight storage/dispensing cans don't fit a '83, 98, or 2011 car's gas filler port. So I use a transmission funnel, and inevitably dribble fuel all over, which is what the new anti-cans are supposed to prevent with their trash spouts and interlock valves. Do-Gooder idiots running the CARB.
    HAHAHAHA! My sentiments exactly. I have the same problem and have like 3 of the 5 gal gas cans with the stupid idiot/spillproof spouts stacked in my garage. I'm trying to find another spout to use with them because I can't stand the 'safety' spouts. Found 'em at a garage sale for a buck apiece and couldn't resist. I rotate my gas every 2 or 3 months because we have E20 here in hawaii and the gas doesn't last too long in a tank. I don't think it goes bad per se, I think it's the alcohol in the gas which is hydroscopic and absorbs water from the air. Since humidity is always near 80% or so here, that is a major problem and water condenses out and wreaks havoc with everthing in our fuel systems. I've disassembled float bowls and found the aluminum heavily oxidized from too much water. I have a couple of the Honda GX series engines in small devices like a scuba air compressor, have to always siphon out the gas each time I use it. Its a pain, so I got one of those little pumps that look like a tennis ball can with a handle on one end and 2 hoses that move the fuel. Works great. It will auto siphon if the liquid is higher up than your receiver tank.

Conversely, I have sealed gallon cans of 'white gas' (used to be a couple bucks each at any Chevron gas station) that I use with camping stoves and lanterns that must be the better part of 3 decades old. I use some from time to time and it never seems to go bad.
  • softdown
    Found that simply elevating the storage can and siphoning with a 1/2" clear hose works very well. You can see the gas coming with a clear hose. Gas tastes extremely nasty.

I use 5/8" hose because that is what I had. It is a bit too aggressive. Have got gas on hand a couple times due to high speed of transfer. My hose is 6'. I would use 7' if I made another. That would buy a little more time.