Seems like a good price

Options
Grandpa
Grandpa Registered Users Posts: 7
Click on it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Watts-S...3D171112316078

plus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-MPPT-Sol..._qi=RTM2067268

I can't believe it's MPPT but for that price I ordered one anyway.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Grandpa, had a look. The panels are probably not too bad a price for "12 volt" panels, which are becoming rather hard to come by compared to years ago. And the add gives no specs beyond 12 volt and 100 watt. It doesn't give Max Power voltage, open circuit voltage, or max amps output, nor does it give a model number.. Sort of like buying a pig in a bag as the old time farmers used to say. That said, the price per watt is high compared to what's available in larger, higher wattage, higher voltage panels that would require a real MPPT controller to harvest all the power they put out, if feeding a 12 volt system.
    The "MPPT" controller for less than $12.00? I'd run from it. Not kidding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grandpa wrote: »

Not a bad price for delivered 12 volt nominal panel. If you're buying more than one make an offer, they will save on shipping, 4 or more (in pairs, likely they can ship in pairs) try $110 a panel... If you check their feedback they are accepting offers below the posted price. They were offering 2 for $235.99 now up to $245...
    Grandpa wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-MPPT-Sol..._qi=RTM2067268

I can't believe it's MPPT but for that price I ordered one anyway.

It's NOT, again check the feedback(you can do this by clicking on the number by his name)

The click on negative feedback and find quotes like;

"MPPT Solar Panel Regulator. seller is aware these are fake but is still selling."

"The uten does not have a MPPT function"

"KJ lists charger as MPPT but is actually a vastly inferior PWM charger."

"Item is not a MPPT charger. The coil is missing - it is a fake a MPPT control!"
    "Item is not a MPPT charger. The coil is missing - it is a fake!" Same guy 2 different purchases

"Misrepresented product. NOT MPPT. Complete farce. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT."

"FAKE MPPT CHARGER!! (LOOK @ UTUBE) BEWARE OF SELLER.! ONLY OFFER $10 REFUND! "

A couple of these are larger units, like above, but they offer a valuable piece of information, searched youtube for fake MPPT and the second video was;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NsaZcbQARUk
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it's functional PWM for $12 and you're using with 12 volt nominal panels it's really not a bad deal...fwiw:D
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Grandpa
    Grandpa Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Grandpa, had a look. The panels are probably not too bad a price for "12 volt" panels, which are becoming rather hard to come by compared to years ago. And the add gives no specs beyond 12 volt and 100 watt. It doesn't give Max Power voltage, open circuit voltage, or max amps output, nor does it give a model number.. Sort of like buying a pig in a bag as the old time farmers used to say. That said, the price per watt is high compared to what's available in larger, higher wattage, higher voltage panels that would require a real MPPT controller to harvest all the power they put out, if feeding a 12 volt system.
    The "MPPT" controller for less than $12.00? I'd run from it. Not kidding.

It gives all the specs .... just scroll down.

When I was looking to buy panels I found some were much cheaper than others...until the freight was added. (I'm not talking about those by the pallet or
    container).

I did order one of the charge controllers for $12. For that small amount of money I'd like to play around with it.

Thanks Photowhit .... I didn't check the feedback which you kindly quoted ... it does confirm what I suspected.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Charge controllers on 12 volt systems don't have to do too much. I could believe that $12 could buy a functional controller. Clearly not MPPT...they shouldn't have stretched that far. I think a 12 volt system is generally best for systems that are below 1000 watts. For one thing, it is easy to get 12 volt appliances.

I have run a 12 volt system for 4 1/2 years. Easy as can be. I still don't feel comfortable completing my new 48 volt system. Too complex. Too much money.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    You need to buy from a trusted source, I have gotten ripped a few times on electronics when dealing with a Chinese Supplier. Like the old saying goes, Buyer Beware. Lots of ass-hats out there.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be an inverter. Good price....sure. But not truly a "complete kit" is it?

It is a complete system if all of your loads are DC at either 12 or 24 volts. From the description the target audience is the boat and RV market where all of the lights and appliances may be 12V.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.