Combiner box wiring size

just starting
just starting Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
Is 12 awg ok to use in my combiner box it's 8" piece of wire on + and- I have two strings of three 250 watt panels that will be about 80' from Scc I plan to use 8 awg from Home Depot for the run I will rewire the combiner box if I have to
200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is 12 awg ok to use in my combiner box it's 8" piece of wire on + and- I have two strings of three 250 watt panels that will be about 80' from Scc I plan to use 8 awg from Home Depot for the run I will rewire the combiner box if I have to

250 watt panels, so I'm guessing about 8-9 amps, 12 gauge should carry that and more without a problem... If it is for the combined strings16 amps would be a bit closer, but over a short distance I would be fine with it, but if you have 8 gauge around and it's simple why not replace it...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • just starting
    I don't know if 8awg will fit mc4 connectors
    200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 
  • just starting
    Combiner box uses mc4 in and out guess I could take them out and hard wire to fuse holder and Scc
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, You will be fine with 12 gauge, I was using power distribution numbers which put 12 ga a bit small, but for a short run you will have no problem. They want to limit the current in long runs for several reasons, voltage drop, heat build up in confined places like conduit....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.